PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2024 NFL Draft Thread (Continued..)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This isn't being emphasized enough.

Why collect picks to move up for a lesser QB when you can get one free now?

Yep. If you are going to bet on a high pick at QB it’s much better to do it with 1 first round pick than it is 3 first rounders.

Who do you think is the better prospect J Daniels or D Maye?? The Commanders are going to tell us but going off a hunch I'd say J Daniels.
I think Maye is IF he reaches his ceiling. If he doesn't, it'll probably be Daniels.

Patriots shouldn't do anything crazy like trade out of 3 if Wsh takes Daniels. Jmo.

Maye is a boom/bust pick. No doubt.

Thx.

I don't know how people can watch the SB and decide to just get a decent QB. Surround him with weapons. And things will work out.

In the end, it did not work out for the 49ers. Twice.
I think that's the recipe going forward for the have-nots until Allen and Jackson get to a SB they will be among that abundant group.

I think that's the recipe going forward for the have-nots until Allen and Jackson get to a SB they will be among that abundant group.
I think Allen is a better QB than Lamar imo. I think Lamar is a better athlete.

Gun to my head, I take Allen in a one game winner take all.

All these guys are below Mahomes.

I think a healthy Burrow is pretty close he came very close to beating Mahomes twice.

Agree completely. And the “ trade down for a haul” crowd always leave out the fact they will have to turn around and give up the same haul to go up and get their franchise QB.
Unless there's no franchise QB to get. If you think one, or none of them are that guy, then you either BPA or trade down. How many teams got screwed over by all the 2021 QB Class hype - and you could make an argument that *none* of them can play.

I think a healthy Burrow is pretty close he came very close to beating Mahomes twice.
Healthy Burrow is definitely a good one.

I think this is a huge year for him though. If he gets injured again, the injury prone label will come out.

Unless there's no franchise QB to get. If you think one, or none of them are that guy, then you either BPA or trade down. How many teams got screwed over by all the 2021 QB Class hype - and you could make an argument that *none* of them can play.

If they don’t think the Quarterbacks available are any good then they should trade back, but that still means they are going to suck for the years they don’t have one, and like almost every team in that situation they will end up having to give up 3 first round picks to get one. Basically for every year they don’t find their franchise QB you can add on two more years, at a minimum, until they will be relevant again. If they draft really good QB this year they could be a contender by 26’, if they get a lot of other things right, if they don’t get them until 25’ then 27 is what we are looking at, 26’ -28, and so on, And if Mayo doesn’t find his franchise QUarterback by 26’ then he will be out of a job.

The three QB s often sited here as the best in the NFL, Mahomes, Allen, and Jackson, were not top five picks.

Mahomes was maybe the 10th player picked?

The three QB s often sited here as the best in the NFL, Mahomes, Allen, and Jackson, were not top five picks.

Mahomes was maybe the 10th player picked?
As others have pointed out, exactly one Super Bowl Winner in the past 25 years drafted their starting QB with a top five pick. And if Reche Caldwell doesn't drop an easy third-down pass, that guy might never have won one with the Colts.

Note: some people mistakenly include Eli in with his brother, but he was actually drafted by San Diego and then traded to the Giants.

If they don’t think the Quarterbacks available are any good then they should trade back, but that still means they are going to suck for the years they don’t have one, and like almost every team in that situation they will end up having to give up 3 first round picks to get one. Basically for every year they don’t find their franchise QB you can add on two more years, at a minimum, until they will be relevant again. If they draft really good QB this year they could be a contender by 26’, if they get a lot of other things right, if they don’t get them until 25’ then 27 is what we are looking at, 26’ -28, and so on, And if Mayo doesn’t find his franchise QUarterback by 26’ then he will be out of a job.
Ivan: here's something to think about the Best Non QB player in the Draft is Harrison Jr what if he's our pick?? Wouldn't he be the Best Player Available?? IF we are playing that angle.

Ivan: here's something to think about the Best Non QB player in the Draft is Harrison Jr what if he's our pick?? Wouldn't he be the Best Player Available?? IF we are playing that angle.

Choosing the BPA is the best way to build a team, if you have a franchise QB, if you don’t you can take all the BPA’s you want and you will still suck, just like every team with a bad QB sucks. Taking Harrison Jr. would be a complete waste of the pick, as a really good WR doesn’t mean **** if there’s no QB to get them the ball. So if they hate the QB’s at the top of this draft then they have no choice but to trade out. The worst case scenario imo is staying at 3 and taking Harrison Jr. or Alt, ifnthey do that they can kiss the 24’ and 25’ season’s good bye, as they won’t be going anywhere. And if Mayo doesn’t have a franchise QB by 25’ then he can kiss his job goodbye, as that means they are going to suck for at least 3 more years, and 3 consecutive years of losing almost always means heads will be rolling.

Choosing the BPA is the best way to build a team, if you have a franchise QB, if you don’t you can take all the BPA’s you want and you will still suck, just like every team with a bad QB sucks. Taking Harrison Jr. would be a complete waste of the pick, as a really good WR doesn’t mean **** if there’s no QB to get them the ball. So if they hate the QB’s at the top of this draft then they have no choice but to trade out. The worst case scenario imo is staying at 3 and taking Harrison Jr. or Alt, if n they do that they can kiss the 24’ and 25’ season’s good bye, as they won’t be going anywhere. And if Mayo doesn’t have a franchise QB by 25’ then he can kiss his job goodbye, as that means they are going to suck for at least 3 more years, and 3 consecutive years of losing almost always means heads will be rolling.
Alright Ivan you're not wavering one bit on a QB @ 3 I can respect that.

Healthy Burrow is definitely a good one.

I think this is a huge year for him though. If he gets injured again, the injury prone label will come out.
Burrow and the Bengals are the only team that seriously threatens the Chiefs. The problem is, Burrow is becoming pretty unreliable. If he doesn't stay healthy, Chiefs will sleepwalk back to the Super Bowl.

I agree.

That said, what's your strat? Take BPA/Trade Down this year, and maybe make the playoffs in a couple of years with a journeyman/game manager at QB? Or take a QB that will bust, and be right back here in the same situation in 3 years with nothing at all to show for it? In one scenario, at least you can improve your team with good players/more draft capital. In the 2nd, you just waste the #3 pick on nothing, and keep signing dumpster free agents, because no one wants to come here.

Alright Ivan you're not wavering one bit on a QB @ 3 I can respect that.

My only condition on taking the quarterback at 3 comes if they really don’t like the prospects at 3. They are the ones looking at all the footage, and doing the interviews etc….So they have much more knowledge about them than I have. So if they really don’t want them then I’ll just have to accept that. I won’t like it, and my outlook on their future will be pretty grim, but that’s just the way it goes. And at that point then I think they will have to take the picks and trade out.

However, if they traded out, and then came out and said” we really liked the quarterbacks but this was just too good a deal to pass up,” then I would lose all faith in their ability to ever build a great team, because they passed up the most important piece for quantity. IMO the only way you win Lombardi’s is with really good quarterbacks, and the best place to get one is with a high first round pick. The Patriots have that pick right now. So I want them to use it on the quarterback. Once that piece is in place then I think they need to do everything possible to put a great team around them.

My only condition on taking the quarterback at 3 comes if they really don’t like the prospects at 3. They are the ones looking at all the footage, and doing the interviews etc….So they have much more knowledge about them than I have. So if they really don’t want them then I’ll just have to accept that. I won’t like it, and my outlook on their future will be pretty grim, but that’s just the way it goes. And at that point then I think they will have to take the picks and trade out.

However, if they traded out, and then came out and said” we really liked the quarterbacks but this was just too good a deal to pass up,” then I would lose all faith in their ability to ever build a great team, because they passed up the most important piece for quantity. IMO the only way you win Lombardi’s is with really good quarterbacks, and the best place to get one is with a high first round pick. The Patriots have that pick right now. So I want them to use it on the quarterback. Once that piece is in place then I think they need to do everything possible to put a great team around them.
Yup, completely agree with this. If their scouting tells them that one of the QBs available at 3 can play, they should take them.

But they need to be honest with themselves about it, and not buy into surrounding hype. I'm nervous that factors outside of pure scouting are going to play into the drafting decision, which IMO is just as bad as your scenario, if not worse.

If they come out and say 'Hey, Jayden Daniels can't play, but we needed to take a QB because the fans would be mad otherwise', that's just as bad, yeah?

I agree.

That said, what's your strat? Take BPA/Trade Down this year, and maybe make the playoffs in a couple of years with a journeyman/game manager at QB? Or take a QB that will bust, and be right back here in the same situation in 3 years with nothing at all to show for it? In one scenario, at least you can improve your team with good players/more draft capital. In the 2nd, you just waste the #3 pick on nothing, and keep signing dumpster free agents, because no one wants to come here.

I’m gambling on the quarterback every time. And if I didn’t believe in them after a year or two I would go right back to the well, and keep doing it until I struck gold, I just don’t believe you can win Championships without really good Quartetback, and winning Championships is the only point in doing this. The last thing I want is a team like the Bengals when Mike Brown was completely content to be average every season and just cash the NFL checks. At one point the reports were that his scouting department was a draft magazine. And that’s not hyperbole, by all accounts it was true, he literally wasn’t paying a scouting department, and didn’t give one **** if they ever won anything.

I’m gambling on the quarterback every time. And if I didn’t believe in them after a year or two I would go right back to the well, and keep doing it until I struck gold, I just don’t believe you can win Championships without really good Quartetback, and winning Championships is the only point in doing this. The last thing I want is a team like the Bengals when Mike Brown was completely content to be average every season and just cash the NFL checks. At one point the reports were that his scouting department was a draft magazine. And that’s not hyperbole, by all accounts it was true, he literally wasn’t paying a scouting department, and didn’t give one **** if they ever won anything.
I get that, but if that happens, what if you turn into the Browns or the Cardinals, and just draft a QB every 3 years for the next 25? I guess it all depends on what you're comfortable with.

Personally, I'd build the team up (again, assuming the draft magazine isn't telling me to take a QB), and take a chance on a FA QB in a couple of years - they come up just as often, and you missed out on one this year (Mayfield). I just want them to be good enough for FAs to actually consider coming here - and not have to shop in the dumpster for the next 20 years. Now, whether the owner will do that or not is another story.

Again, if you think the QB can play, you take him. If there is no QB that can play, BPA or Trade Down. Yeah, Larry Fitzgerald never won a damn thing - but he did go on a couple of deep runs with a FA QB a couple of times.

Yup, completely agree with this. If their scouting tells them that one of the QBs available at 3 can play, they should take them.

But they need to be honest with themselves about it, and not buy into surrounding hype. I'm nervous that factors outside of pure scouting are going to play into the drafting decision, which IMO is just as bad as your scenario, if not worse.

If they come out and say 'Hey, Jayden Daniels can't play, but we needed to take a QB because the fans would be mad otherwise', that's just as bad, yeah?

I agree, I never want ownership making draft decisions. But I also believe there is a Boston sports radio line going around that if they draft quarterback it means the Kraft’s made the call, and I don’t buy that. I think 99% of what they spew ******** about is made up controversies to piss people off, and drive ratings. From everything I have gathered so far there are 3, and possibly 4 quarterbacks in this draft who could become franchise quarterbacks, and nothing I have heard so far has called that into question,

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back