PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Early Mock Draft Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK here goes...

BB calls his old Buddy Andy Reid, Trades picks 27 & 48 (1110) for 15 and 115 (1114).

#15 Michael Brockers DE LSU 6'5" 306, finally a replacement for Seymour
#32 Dont'a Hightower LB ALA 6'4" 260, Finally an OLB
#64 Ben Jones C UGA 6'3" 304, Good Center from a pro style offense
#95 Stephen Hill WR GTech 6'4" 206, This guy went to Ga tech to be the next Megatron, however, they switched to the triple option, has spend 3 years blocking and averaging @32 yards a catch. He will most likely be a first rounder after the combine, but if they have him here, then this is where I'll take him.
#115 Ladairus Green TE La. Lafayette 6'6" 237, this kid is impressing everyone at the Sr. Bowl, a bookend for Gronk, imagine a 3 TE attack.
#128 James-Michael Johnson LB Nevada 6'1" 249, tackling machine, if nothing else a special teams demon.

very interested about Stephen Hill WR GTech. i do personally think especially if we trde back this is a year where we take a WR in the 2nd round. If only because of branch and ocho's age. Also there is a possability of Edelperson taking on the cb role in the off season.

very interested about Stephen Hill WR GTech. i do personally think especially if we trde back this is a year where we take a WR in the 2nd round. If only because of branch and ocho's age. Also there is a possability of Edelperson taking on the cb role in the off season.

I love Hill, however, I think that once he gets to the combine he is going to shoot up draft boards. Again, he is an excellent blocker and obviously a team player, (could you imagine how fast many WRs would transfer if their school hired a triple option coach?) This kid literally has not had a QB in college. Put him with TFB, and he would be an all-pro.

I love Hill, however, I think that once he gets to the combine he is going to shoot up draft boards. Again, he is an excellent blocker and obviously a team player, (could you imagine how fast many WRs would transfer if their school hired a triple option coach?) This kid literally has not had a QB in college. Put him with TFB, and he would be an all-pro.

Hill's game that always stands out to me is against Virginia. While he had a good game overall, whenever he matched up against Minnifield, he was effectively taken out of the action. He could barely separate at all, and when they did try to go deep, Minnifield out-positioned him and came down with the ball. I think Hill is a major project. He's got some natural tools to work with, yes, but against NFL-caliber players, he won't do anything for a good long while. That kind of player is only worth taking if you can get him on a discount and already have a strong corp ahead of him. I think our WR corp is aging and needs an injection of youth from guys who can play early, but that's just me.

Patriots trade #27 and #96 for #21 and draft Courtney Upshaw, OLB, Alabama.
Patriots trade #32 for #40 and #104.
Patriots use #40 to draft Stephon Gilmore, CB/FS, South Carolina.
Patriots trade #48 for 2nd in 2013 and #120.
Patriots trade #64 for #83 and a 3rd in 2013.
Patriots use #83 to draft Stephon Hill, WR, Georgia Tech.
Patriots use #104 to draft Michael Brewster, C, Ohio State.
Patriots use #118 to draft T.Y Hilton, WR, Florida International.
Patriots trade #120 for #150 and #182.
Patriots use trade #150 for a 6th in 2013 and #207.
Patriots use #182 to draft George Bryan, TE, North Carolina State.
Patriots use #207 to draft Kellen Moore, QB, Boise State.

Too much offense and lacks a 3-4 DE prospect, doubles down on WRs, gets a 2nd and 3rd in 2013, it's a BB draft. :D

Last edited:
pick 27- trade to Cleveland picking up Tannehill getting #37 and 150 points #100 & 132

Trade 48 and 128 for 42

Pats now have 32,37, 48, 64, 96, 100, 132

I am also assuming that The pats sign Brandon Lloyd in FA resign Carter, Anderson, Ellis and Waren

32- Zac Brown- perfect fit for the 4-3 alignment.
37- Gilmore What Merriweather was supposed to be combo safety/CB
48- Brandon Thompson, The peneratror that we miss without Wright.
64- Vinny Curry- I think pushes Cunningham
96- Harrison Smith- When you want an in the box safety that can also play in coverage.
100- Mike Brewster,
132- Juron Criner- I just like the kid

Pre-draft trades
32 traded to the Baltimore Ravens for RFA CB Lardarius Webb

64 traded to St Louis Rams in a tag & trade deal for WR Brandon Lloyd

The draft:

27 (from NO) DT Dontari Poe Memphis

48 (from OAK) TRADE #48 & #98 to Denver for #57, #88 & #152 (530.6 v 536)

57 TRADE #57 to Washington for #70 & #102 (330 v 332)

70 DE Vinny Curry Marshall

88 S George Iloka Boise St

102 C Mike Brewster Ohio State

152 OLB Emmanuel Acho Texas

Breakdown:
4 trades (receive: 2 players, 2 picks)
Draft: 4 defense, 1 offense

Last edited:
OK here goes...

BB calls his old Buddy Andy Reid, Trades picks 27 & 48 (1110) for 15 and 115 (1114).

#15 Michael Brockers DE LSU 6'5" 306, finally a replacement for Seymour
#32 Dont'a Hightower LB ALA 6'4" 260, Finally an OLB
#64 Ben Jones C UGA 6'3" 304, Good Center from a pro style offense
#95 Stephen Hill WR GTech 6'4" 206, This guy went to Ga tech to be the next Megatron, however, they switched to the triple option, has spend 3 years blocking and averaging @32 yards a catch. He will most likely be a first rounder after the combine, but if they have him here, then this is where I'll take him.
#115 Ladairus Green TE La. Lafayette 6'6" 237, this kid is impressing everyone at the Sr. Bowl, a bookend for Gronk, imagine a 3 TE attack.
#128 James-Michael Johnson LB Nevada 6'1" 249, tackling machine, if nothing else a special teams demon.

Hill ran a 4.30 and a 4.31 today, he caught everything that was thrown at him, the Pats would be lucky if was still on the board at #27 now...................

Fletcher cox, janoris Jenkins, or Stephen hill in the first, molk late, Alota rbs 2 chk out also ie. lamichael James/Doug martin..Harrison smith-s. Gilmore deserve a look as does Michael egnew

round 1 - dontari poe and fletcher cox
round 2 - vinny curry and the best DB available unless it is too much of a reach
round 3 - mike brewster
round 4 - devon wylie or jake bequette and then target wylie with a trade

Last edited:

Thought i would give credit where it's due. You picked this one perfectly. Hill did have a great performance at the combine, well spotted.

I'll hold off on doing any trades because I'm not that comfortable with it. Some of these guys would be considered possible "reaches" (Smith, Hilton who's a pure burner with solid size, and Miller who offers versatility) but the Patriots have been known to go after the guys they like regardless of what the media and draft nicks think.

1.27: DE/DT Fletcher Cox (Mississippi State)
1.31: DE/OLB Andre Branch (Clemson)
2.16: CB Chase Minnifield (Virginia)
2.32: SS Harrison Smith (Notre Dame)
3.32: WR T.Y. Hilton (Florida International)
4.32: OG/C Ryan Miller (Colorado)

I shall give my largely uneducated guess. Assumptions: Light stays, Welker stays, Connelly stays, Anderson stays, we go back to a 3-4 base.

1.27 - Trade back to Washington for 39 and a 5th plus their first rounder in 2013. Mercilus is tempting...I just wish I had a better vibe from him.

1.31 - I guess per rules, Mercilus is still available with this pick, which is even more tempting....but I'm going to guess Belichick is going to go with steady over flashy and take Kendall Reyes DE Connecticut over Mercilus and Barron.

2.7 - Trade back to Atlanta for 55 and a 2013 2nd.

2.16 - Brandon Boykin CB Georgia - He can probably help us in the subpackages, but he can most definitely help us in the return game.

2.23 - Zebrie Sanders OT Florida State - Between Light's possible retirement and Vollmer's back injury, another quality OT is, much like former patriot and Patriot Sam Adams, always a good decision.

2.31 Mohammad Sanu WR Rutgers - Didn't expect to see him here. Great value.

3.31 Package the 5th rounder to move up a few spots and take Markelle Martin S Oklahoma St. I refuse to believe there is this big a gap in talent between Barron and Martin.

4.31 Robert Turbin RB Utah St I don't know who he compares vis-a-vis with Ridley, and I've never watched him play, but I've been hearing his name for a couple of years now as a player, and this seems to be a good value pick.

The OLB issue will have to be solved in-house with some combination of Ninkovich, Cunningham, Anderson, and Markell Carter.

Last edited:
1a.) Hightower- player violent defense, we need more of that.
1b.) Hill- 0 percent chance we draft him
2a.) Fleener- Sounds stupid at first until you consider if one of our current TE's were to get hurt we would be DEAD.
2b.) Winn- WTF not
3.a) Josh Robinson- He's fast.
4.a) Philip Blake- He's good.
Real high brow stuff right there.

Last edited:
27. Kendall Reyes DT UConn - underrated 3-4 DE with all the physical attributes including strength (34 reps) and long arms.

31. TRADE down to #39 for 2013 #2 pick

39. Harrison Smith SS Notre Dame - This could be Mark Barron depending on how far he falls (double sports hernia). Smith is like a LB playing Safety. His ability to play in the box and cover TE's and RB's is key.

48. Shea McClellin LB Boise St. - incredibly athletic DE that showed at the combine that he has what it takes to make the transition to OLB in 3-4. He has the measurable that BB required for the position.

63. Josh Robinson CB Central Florida - Compare his measurable against Devin McCourty. Robinson's are better. He is an inch shorter but slightly heavier. Check the tape of him against AJ Green of Georgia ... held him to 77 yards and no TDs. Nobody threw against him last year. 38 starts in his 3 years at UCF.

94. TRADED for #116 & 158 (CIN)

116. Marvin Jones WR CAL - Gifted and productive starting 38 games and having at least one catch in 38 straight games. Big receiver at 6'2" but still ran 4.46.

126. Devon Wylie WR Fresno St. - One of the fastest and quickest WR's in the draft. He is also an excellent PR. A Welker clone. Despite his short stature, I think he is put together well enough to handle the pounding in the slot. Pat Hill connection with BB

158. TRADE 176 & 189 (PHI)

176. Derek Wolfe DT Cincinnatti - Big East Defensive Player of the Year. Has good motor and will put pressure on the QB from DT position. Reminds me of former Bearcat Mike Wright. 9.5 Sacks and 19.5 TFL as Senior.

189. George Bryan TE North Carolina St - Very productive career at NC ST under Tom Obrien. He is slow ... over5.0 40. Excellent receiver in short areas ... not a deep threat. "Hands of glue, about as good as you will see in the sport of football" . Good in line blocker too. 1st team ACC three years, 4 year starter.

I'll hold off on doing any trades because I'm not that comfortable with it. Some of these guys would be considered possible "reaches" (Smith, Hilton who's a pure burner with solid size, and Miller who offers versatility) but the Patriots have been known to go after the guys they like regardless of what the media and draft nicks think.

You were awfully close to my dream draft

I think a primary need in this draft is a guy who can rush the passer from a 4-3 DT position or a 3-4 DE Fletcher Cox fulfills this need in a high ceiling pick. We lost BOTH guys last season who could have given us this skill in Wright and Pryor. Wright is gone and Pryor, while showing flashes of being a solid inside pass rush guy, is still unproven

IMHO he's the 2nd best DE/OLB prospect available after Marcilus, and I think Marcilus goes earlier. This is a position that requires a player to develop. Signing Carter and Anderson allows us to do that. He can be a superior special teams guy. A situation rusher, and OLB depth in 2012

2.16: CB Steven Gilmore (S.Carolina)
Another tall physical CB with speed - A rare combination of size with raw speed, he excelled in press coverage. Not only does he upgrade he secondary talent, he allows BB to start to expand the sub package repertoire. One thing that has been lost in this secondary reboot. When you don't have the talent back there, you have to simplify your defense.

2.31. Alshon Jeffery - I think his combine interviews and drills will drop him into the Pats lap at te end of the 2nd round. He's a decent boom or bust risk right here. Sanu would be the safer choice of big possession receivers, but I think he'll be gone first.
3.32: Ben Jones C (Georgia) Let go Koppen, resign Connolly and draft the C of the future
4.32: BPA - After these 5 picks I couldn't care less about who we draft after this point.

BTW- I didn't grab a S in this draft because I think that we will take care of that problem in FA. Then add Barrett coming back (don't laugh- he didn't play much, but he played well when he did) and the position flexibility of McCourty and Moore, and I think we have it covered.

I was going to update mine, but without looking at the rankings again, I doubt I could do any better than this. so I'll just call this one mine too.

2.16: CB Steven Gilmore (S.Carolina)
Another tall physical CB with speed - A rare combination of size with raw speed, he excelled in press coverage. Not only does he upgrade he secondary talent, he allows BB to start to expand the sub package repertoire. One thing that has been lost in this secondary reboot. When you don't have the talent back there, you have to simplify your defense.

Hard to see Gilmore dropping this low any more, He had a really good combine and I've seen him as high as 21 on some mocks.

Yeah... I could even see New England taking Gilmore at 1.31 if one of Cox/Branch were gone by then but I'd be surprised if he lasts much further than say the 2.05 pick. That's partly why I grabbed Minnifield whom I like (and as a bonus, his father played under Belichick in Cleveland).

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes