PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Eagles release Takeo Spikes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Another possible FA LB: Takeo Spikes Cut

So when speculating about potential LBs we should think in the 180 degree exact opposite of how Belichick likes to approach the position?

Got it!

You can dismiss it no problem but the game is changing and the competition is changing as well. Bruschi and Seau (assuming his locker stays the same as it is now) with Vrabel outside is alot of age and the lack of speed is evident. He has done what you could call 180's alot lately and knows this defense needs more speed at the linebacker position. Could he sign Spikes sure, Does he have another player in mind first? Yes.

It would take some time before a rookie LB would be able to make the kind of impact Spikes would make immediately. Spikes although might be getting older, he still can play and has more experience and football IQ than any rookie LB could possibly have his first year.

I think they will take a CB high in the draft, and maybe LB 2nd or 3rd rou

nd. From what I have heard so far, the LB class this year is not that great.

I'm sorry where did I say "Rookie" LB? I said younger as in 25-29 range with some speed, versitility and alot of upside. There are very good LB's in this draft depending on what your looking for.

Like whom or are you suggesting Seward or a fourth to fifth round draft pick are better options than Takeo?

I'm just giving people another angle to think about. Takeo is not a 3-4 ILB and if we keep Seau then Takeo at anything more than 2 million is probably not going to happen. We have a Takeo in Seau. Seward is the type of LB I'm talking about but there is a couple others that could be had that the Pats are looking at. Also, they're are a couple LB's that are very capable of getting put into the rotation at ILB in this draft and will be very good on 3rd down coverage.

Re: Takeo Spikes Cut (merged)

Sounds a little like Takeo was buttering up the Pats in case they are interested. It's weird, everyone in Philly automatically assumes that he is going to be a Patriot.

from Takeo on WIP

* It was only somewhat about the money, he saw what happened to Trotter last year, and when the eagles asked him to renegotiate his contract so low, he felt like they were looking forward with the younger linebackers, and he didn't feel as wanted.

* Eagles told Takeo his play wasn't the issue, they originally didn't want to let him walk without getting anything for him. Takeo asked to be released, so he would have a better chance to sign with a team in contention for a championship while free agency is still going on. Eagles originally said no.

* Eskin asked him straight up if the Eagles wanted to wait and trade him, but Spikes told them just to release him now, so it wouldn't become a lingering issue. After Spikes called & talked with Andy Reid, the Eagles granted him his release.

* Said he's disappointed with how this all worked out. Spikes was looking forward to playing a 2nd year in Philly, he knew he was hitting some strides during the end of the season, and his best football here was still ahead of him.

* Said the Eagles WILL contend next year with mcnabb, and he wanted to be a part of that.

* Said Gaither and Bradley are going to be beasts (didn't say anything about Gocong until the end, just mentioned his name after talking about those guys).

* It hurts to be cut, but he's excited about free-agency. It feels good to be wanted. He got a lot of calls already from teams. He says it's going to come down to a mix of money and how good the team is. He won't go to a lousy team for the bigger money - he doesn't want to go through that.

* Eskin asked about New England - Eskin said he can't stand Belichick, Takeo said "does that mean you couldn't stand me."

* Takeo - "Belichek is the kind of coach you hate when you play against him, but when you play for him, you love him... Maybe one day I'll love him."

I don't know guys, but sounds like he wants in.

Does this guy really have anything left? If so, he would be a great addition inside. The guy is massive.

Update: I just checked out his stats and he played every game. So durability shouldn't be an issue. At 32, I say give him a shot.

Too young.

He's 31, not 32. He wont be 32 until next December. Spikes has had some injury problems the past three years, but still notched 86 tackles in 2007, while only playing 14 games. I don't know if it's been mentioned (I haven't read through the thread yet), but his injury in 2007 was a torn rotator cuff. That's not as serious for a LB as it would be for a QB, or players at some other positions. If he passes a physical, then I'd at least give him a shot in training camp.

Seb,
You might be writing off this "Rotator Cuff" injury to soon without alittle analysis. In the 3-4 he would be moved to ILB in this system depending on the tear and what angle he tore it, He will have to do alot of "Stack and Shed" with Guard's and if you extend your arms and take on the forceable impact of a 300 plus pound guard then swing your shoulder to throw him out of the way. You don't want a bad shoulder or rotator cuff. Also, arm extentions to jam a TE in coverage off the line could be uncomfortable too. In a 4-3 on the outside you can get away with it alittle easier but not in the middle in a 3-4. You could be right and it's maybe nothing be BB will definetly give it a good look should they bring him in next Wednesday or so. Just a thought.

On WIP, Spikes just said that three teams have already contacted him. Want to guess who is among them? Patriots, Browns and Jaguars.

If it's about money, I'd say the Jaguars get him. If he wants to play with the best team and coaches, come aboard to New England. I think he might do OK in Cleveland, especially now that they have those two big run stuffers in front of him.

Sounds a little like Takeo was buttering up the Pats in case they are interested. It's weird, everyone in Philly automatically assumes that he is going to be a Patriot.

I don't know guys, but sounds like he wants in.

You hit the nail on the head. He's a free agent and the good teams wells are drying up so he's in sell mode. Is he interested in the Patriots? You better believe it. Are the Pats one of those teams interested in him if there are any at this point? You will find out pretty quickly by mid-week next week. My guess is he will take the circuit first before deciding even if he comes to Foxboro Sunday.

On WIP, Spikes just said that three teams have already contacted him. Want to guess who is among them? Patriots, Browns and Jaguars.

If it's about money, I'd say the Jaguars get him. If he wants to play with the best team and coaches, come aboard to New England. I think he might do OK in Cleveland, especially now that they have those two big run stuffers in front of him.

Cleveland would be a good fit and they might cut another LB that is very good and has been struggling badly in the 3-4 ILB mostly because of the weak D-Line in Cleveland. They will probably release him anyway.

http://www.nfl.com/players/andradavis/profile?id=DAV121395

Cleveland would be a good fit and they might cut another LB that is very good and has been struggling badly in the 3-4 ILB mostly because of the weak D-Line in Cleveland. They will probably release him anyway.

http://www.nfl.com/players/andradavis/profile?id=DAV121395

Well now that they fixed their D-line problems, why would Cleveland cut him. If we had to take a shot at someone for a ILB depth, who'd it rather be, Takeo or Andra?

I'm just giving people another angle to think about. Takeo is not a 3-4 ILB and if we keep Seau then Takeo at anything more than 2 million is probably not going to happen. We have a Takeo in Seau. Seward is the type of LB I'm talking about but there is a couple others that could be had that the Pats are looking at. Also, they're are a couple LB's that are very capable of getting put into the rotation at ILB in this draft and will be very good on 3rd down coverage.

Hmmmm.....
Is that you Ray?
Don't worry, we'll find plenty of room for you next year.

Well now that they fixed their D-line problems, why would Cleveland cut him. If we had to take a shot at someone for a ILB depth, who'd it rather be, Takeo or Andra?

Good question. The answer is MONEY. Andra was there before Romeo got there and they had a slight difference of opinion but it's okay now kind of. Not only is it the money but they love D'Qwell Jackson and Leon Williams. D'Qwell actually was a starter over him for most of the year.
If I had my choice it's very easy: Andra Davis. He's bigger, faster, younger
(29), he's been in the system for 3 years now, is a better PLAYMAKER than Takeo. Has 3-4 ILB expierence and would be able to play in more space than at Cleveland.

Last edited:

Hmmmm.....
Is that you Ray?
Don't worry, we'll find plenty of room for you next year.

Yeah I'll be there. In fact I'll have a Bad season on purpose just so I could drop into the 30's of round 1.

Pretty sure he meant Willie McGinnest when he chose that name

Would be a classic BB signing. Vet LB with nothing left in the tank, given up for dead, etc.

Could be, seems like that type of player who could use that as fuel for success. It does take a while to fully recover from an Achilles injury, we'll see how rotator cuff rehab goes.

i would pay 3mil a year for takeo...nothing more then that though

spikes has made money, for 3mil a year i believe he would love to come to NE, and is un upgrade over both bruschi and seau and most likely an automatic starter at ILB

Not really surprised by the cut, the eagles just signed Asante to a 10 million dollar deal. Although aging, I say it is bring him in but not more than 3 mill a year.
kindly tell us where we get the cap room

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes