PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Eagles release Takeo Spikes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Takeo Spikes Cut

Stop, stop! It still hurts!!

I know, I was just reading about Stewart likely being the favorite to start in 2008. A bunch of us liked him coming out of college, and NE was going to pick him, but as we all know, the Eagles snagged him just prior to NE's pick. Stuff like that happens all the time, but it sucks to think NE's LB situation could already be in a lot better shape if they had landed him. Oh well.

Re: Another possible FA LB: Takeo Spikes Cut

If he can play, health-wise, I'd definitely bring him in. It does seem a little fishy, given the Eagles are a pretty smart team, personnel-wise, and they don't want him.

Haven't they been a bit quick to cut LBs in the past? (E.g., Trotter.)

Of course, that could be a money thing rather than a talent evaluation problem, but it would be a precedent either way.

How much was he slated to make in new money?

He's 31, not 32. He wont be 32 until next December. Spikes has had some injury problems the past three years, but still notched 86 tackles in 2007, while only playing 14 games. I don't know if it's been mentioned (I haven't read through the thread yet), but his injury in 2007 was a torn rotator cuff. That's not as serious for a LB as it would be for a QB, or players at some other positions. If he passes a physical, then I'd at least give him a shot in training camp.

Seb,
You might be writing off this "Rotator Cuff" injury to soon without alittle analysis. In the 3-4 he would be moved to ILB in this system depending on the tear and what angle he tore it, He will have to do alot of "Stack and Shed" with Guard's and if you extend your arms and take on the forceable impact of a 300 plus pound guard then swing your shoulder to throw him out of the way. You don't want a bad shoulder or rotator cuff. Also, arm extentions to jam a TE in coverage off the line could be uncomfortable too. In a 4-3 on the outside you can get away with it alittle easier but not in the middle in a 3-4. You could be right and it's maybe nothing be BB will definetly give it a good look should they bring him in next Wednesday or so. Just a thought.

I'm not overlooking it. I didn't say that it's nothing to worry about, just that it's not as serious as a QB who has a torn Rotator cuff on his throwing arm. I've been playing ILB since my freshmen year of high school, and I'm now in my 20's. It's fair to say I'm aware of the problems myself and other LB's face, lol.

Re: Takeo Spikes cut (merged)

A couple things no one has covered....BB LOVES this guy, and we all know what happens when he does, he goes and gets them if he can. Spikes could get an incentive contract which would be both to our liking and cap friendly. If we get him not so sure we are that desperate for Junior. And about the shoulder, that means he is a THUMPER. Something we have missed since TJ retired. I asked about him just this weekend to the philly forums....this is too good!

Something we have missed since TJ retired. I asked about him just this weekend to the philly forums....this is too good!

And he's got Ted's neck to boot ;)

Yeah I'll be there. In fact I'll have a Bad season on purpose just so I could drop into the 30's of round 1.

Ha! I really hope Rey Maualuga is a 2009 NE Patriot.....he's going to be an excellent ILB at the next level.

Pretty sure he meant Willie McGinnest when he chose that name
Or McGinest's predecessor Junior Seau.
But what difference would that make?

A couple things no one has covered....BB LOVES this guy, and we all know what happens when he does, he goes and gets them if he can. Spikes could get an incentive contract which would be both to our liking and cap friendly. If we get him not so sure we are that desperate for Junior. And about the shoulder, that means he is a THUMPER. Something we have missed since TJ retired.
And with the Jets tossing around serious wads of cash to further bolster their running game, this is exactly why I think a proven vet needs to be brought in to plug the hole that exists in the heart of this defense. I've already posted my reservations about Faneca, but one thing he's done well in the past was to consistently take Tedy out on running plays.

Regardless, someone needs to stake out the Foxborough Ground Round and keep this board informed.

Ha! I really hope Rey Maualuga is a 2009 NE Patriot.....he's going to be an excellent ILB at the next level.

he is going to be great, the bad thing is hes going to go high and we probaby wont have a higher end draft pick to get him.

Double post error

Last edited:

And, the USC LB who dawned the no. 55 in 2007 was Keith Rivers, not Rey.
Thanks, but I know. I watched a few USC games also. Man, talk about taking a throw away wise-crack and going on a correction binge. Fine, in that spirit, one doesn't dawn a number or a uniform. :rolleyes:

he is going to be great, the bad thing is hes going to go high and we probaby wont have a higher end draft pick to get him.
That's a reasonable projection now in March of '08, but so many things could happen between now and April '09.

Last edited:
Re: Takeo Spikes Cut (merged)

Good question. The answer is MONEY. Andra was there before Romeo got there and they had a slight difference of opinion but it's okay now kind of. Not only is it the money but they love D'Qwell Jackson and Leon Williams. D'Qwell actually was a starter over him for most of the year.
If I had my choice it's very easy: Andra Davis. He's bigger, faster, younger
(29), he's been in the system for 3 years now, is a better PLAYMAKER than Takeo. Has 3-4 ILB expierence and would be able to play in more space than at Cleveland.

If $$ is not a roadblock, then I too would take Andra Davis over TKO. I would also be surprised if Cleveland releases him.

I have a feeling that, as long as the possibility exists that Seau returns, the FO will not be signing any grizzled-vet ILBs. If the FO does sign TKO, or a reasonable facsimile thereof, that could indicate that Junior may not return, after all.

Re: Takeo Spikes Cut

I know, I was just reading about Stewart likely being the favorite to start in 2008. A bunch of us liked him coming out of college, and NE was going to pick him, but as we all know, the Eagles snagged him just prior to NE's pick. Stuff like that happens all the time, but it sucks to think NE's LB situation could already be in a lot better shape if they had landed him. Oh well.

NE's LB situation would already be in a lot better shape if the FO had drafted David Harris with one of its 1st-round picks, then Brandon Siler with one of its late 6th-round picks.

P.S.: thanks for providing the player evals from espn Insider's Scouts Inc. Next month I'll see if my email address is once again eligible to take the 30-day free trial.

Colvin, Seau, Spikes. All three are now FA's coming off surgery. All three are vets who can still play. All three are high risks for another injury, given that they've all had major injuries in two of the last four seasons.

How would you prioritize that group? Who would you want back? How healthy will they be by training camp? Reiss seems to think Rosie's foot injury will linger. Spikes may have the most left in the tank, but he won't come cheap, since he already turned down the $2 million offer.

Conclusion: The Pats need one of these guys for '08. I trust BB to make the right call.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes