PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Eagles at Patriots post-game thoughts thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was ugly. and there is plenty of blame to go around.
Fortunately we have a head coach with a bit of a track record for fixing things.

But if we lose next week, I'm killing the neighbors dog in protest!

Didn't hear anyone *****ing about the onside kick against Washington.

Special Ed teams sucked today, but for crying out loud stop with the onside kick thing already. The Patriots could have just as easily kicked off, had the ball returned to the 30, and had the Eagles there a play or two later. It did not blow the doors open or doom us. It was a good risk/reward play. You recover it, great. You don't recover it, they get the ball at around their 40. It was not the end of the damn world.

James White showed a lot today, glad he started to step up when the Patriots needed him to.
I was consoling myself at 35-14 saying "At least we didn't suffer an injury." Then Kline goes down. There goes that.
The Patriots seem to always have a yearly ass kicking like this where things just go f*cky. It happened in 2010 against the Browns, 2012 against the 49ers (though we did close the gap). Chiefs last year, it was the Eagles this year. The ****ty part about it is that it came this late in the season, and it came after getting robbed in Denver last week. I'd be less frustrated about this loss had they not been jobbed last week.

Anyway, it is what it is. 10-2, sitting at the #3 seed. Good news is that one of Denver or Cincy will lose another, and both still play Pittsburgh. We need that bye week to get healthy. But if they just get the #3 seed I am confident they can win and take it to the #2 seed and beat them there.

The crazy thing about all this? I'm almost sure KC will end up as the 5th seed and beat the AFCS champ.. If the Broncos are #1 and Bengals #2, that could easily set up a NE-KC AFCCG in Foxboro.

Anyway, getting ahead of myself here. But #3 seed really is the worst case scenario for the team it seems and that just might end up being good for them outside of having not had a bye since week dumbass 4

The good/positive thing is that the team should be fully aware that they are not untouchable any more. The game against Denver wasn't a fluke. Now there are no more questionable calls which could potentially hide our problems on all 3 phases of the game.
The coaching stuff became too greedy and that backfired directly in our face. When you play with karma, karma will fight back.
Also, special teams have to do better. This is simply inexcusable.
Bye week is slipping from our control and there are no more gimme games. I would accept right now #3 seed, with no more injuries and playmakers back for playoffs.

Thing is we could have realistically been undefeated if it wasn't for two game changing plays that completely changed momentum and altered how we played and gave Denver & Eagles momentum.

Can one of the trainers find out where Odell buys his gloves? What the flying **** is up with all of these drops.

The pass too Brady was a hell of a play -- too bad they followed it up with an interception. ****ing rollercoaster of a game. Ugh!

Speed has never been a requirement for Patriot WRs. :)

1) Special teams FAIL today, leads to 21 points (14 return, 7 set up by a short field)

Blame them for 17. When the offense gets a short field, 3 points are mainly the fault of whoever put them in that position, and the other 4 are on the defense.

Well then your under the wrong impression. I remember being very relieved when we somehow recovered it because I thought it was idiotic given a commanding start to the game to risk giving the other team a breath of life.

I stand by both onside kicks being the wrong calls. In fact the Redskins onside kick was actually worse than this one.

3 awful plays = 21 points.

There are issues but we won't have that happen again.

I'm so damn pissed right now I am sucking on Tums.

Blame them for 17. When the offense gets a short field, 3 points are mainly the fault of whoever put them in that position, and the other 4 are on the defense.

17 or 21, thats a lot of points to give any NFL team, no matter how crappy they are

My 3 biggest take aways from the game tonight:
- Offensive line looked confused and poorly prepared for the Philly stunts. Looked like several new formations/plays by Chip's Eagles (he knows better than anyone that we study film to no end, I bet most of tonight was all new sets, it worked)
- The drops. The drops, the drops. And the drops.
- Unreal poor coaching in game situations clock wise. Never thought I would say that about this team. Stupidity on tap today.

I don't have faith that the refs will call a fair game late in a close game. And there will be close games in the playoffs.

Too many phantom,"missed","botched",fishy calls and non calls for my liking.

Are goal has to be run up the score and pour it on. That crap we've been pulling late in the 1st half where we're being cautious the last two games is not going to cut it for me.

Courtesy of Reiss:

• New England's wide receivers had six drops for the second game this season, which is the most such games in the NFL.

• The Eagles' defense and special teams combined for three touchdowns. The Patriots had allowed three non-offensive touchdowns in their previous 32 games combined.

How did Branch know the outcome? He was puking on the sidelines in the 1st qtr...really is having a year huh

With gronk, hightower, and Edelman being out,our margin of error is remote. They cant afford to be conservative or try silly special teams plays that allow even mediocre teams to stay in it. It happened last week and the same today. Effectively they blew 2 two touchdown leads in back to back weeks due to poor situational coaching and special teams.

McD needs to stop with the conservative and cute play calling. Go for the frickin throat all 60 minutes

We aren't the juggernaut we were when we played WA. We should be walking on egg shells playing as conservative as we can while remaining smart with the game plan. McD has really stunk it up with his play calling lately. Way to predictable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes