PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Draft Grade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before my grade let me say this. I think BB and co. got exactly what they wanted this draft. Things I think fell well for what they wanted to do. We will see if their plan was correct in the playoffs.

I would say they would give themselves an A. I doubt they ever had any real plans to address TE or LB with a high pick. The fact they punted on those and were so happy about their first 2 picks makes me believe this is the case.

Assigning draft grades so early is a Fool's errand. But everyone does it. Grade A-

Unlike ALL other First Round selections by BB, this one is a Gamble. Easly MUST BE a potential ProBowler for BB to deviate so far from his orthodoxy.

I thought they wanted a new backup QB to prep for 2015 and beyond but one that might be more than that. Teddy Bridgewater and Derek Carr fell to them and were ignored. The War room video shows them selecting Garrapolo just as soon as they were on the clock at #62, without any hesitation.

As a genuine Super Bowl contender they don't want to jeopardize a season if TB is dinged up for as little as a few games, with only a VERY raw rookie from a third rate football program available. Groomed Mallett is there for 2014, (and maybe even longer, IMHO).

The key to the draft though was the interior line upgrades. The 3rd and 4th rounds are high and appropriate for acquiring help there. With a SB contender BB didn't want to be forced to play a rookie lineman. So he evolved a Plan and a trade down to acquire the TWO people he felt he required.

Wendell is very tough, but just too small and good DLs can bull rush or scheme to abuse him. BB wanted to free experienced Center, bigger Connolly, or a good BIG Center to take over there. But Connolly was at RG, and couldn't be moved back, unless groomed Canon could take RG. But Cannon was stymied by a need to be the swing Right Tackle. (Solder's replacement would be Vollmer or Mankins moving over.)

So BB wanted a BIG Center AND a good swing RT to free Canon to RG. That way he would not need to insert a rookie without grooming, into the O-Line or Center, unless they were ready and earned it.

Trading down from #93 helped insure Stork would be there at #107, while providing ammunition to move up/position to take the necessary good swing RT targetted at #130-140. The Plan worked to perfection.

They got the BIGGEST, and perhaps best Center and Rimington Trophy winner at 107 in Brandon Stork. Cameron Fleming fell and they even gambled and won holding out for 140.

The balance of the draft was BAP, including Halapio who dropped into their laps and was just too good to miss. IMHO he didn't count as part of the interior line upgrade plan. BB as much as admitted they didn't expect him to be available to them.

They could have used a LB reserve, but none fell to them, downgrading the score slightly.

That's why I graded them as High as I did.

Last edited:
Before my grade let me say this. I think BB and co. got exactly what they wanted this draft. Things I think fell well for what they wanted to do. We will see if their plan was correct in the playoffs.

I would say they would give themselves an A. I doubt they ever had any real plans to address TE or LB with a high pick. The fact they punted on those and were so happy about their first 2 picks makes me believe this is the case.

They probably also believe you don't spend high picks with the goal of finding backup.

Quarterback is the exception as it is the most important position in the NFL and ours will be 37 to start the season.

Both the LB and TE starting depth charts are set and we should primarily be a 3 wr offense and spend most time defensively with 2 or fewer LBs on the field as well, meaning that even our 3rd starter is a backup.

Just a question, did the Garapollo pick leaked? I remember a lot of people calling this on twitter before the selection, including Reiss. I may be wrong though.

Just a question, did the Garapollo pick leaked? I remember a lot of people calling this on twitter before the selection, including Reiss. I may be wrong though.

Depends on your definition of leaked. If it is before the Pats made the pick then no. If it was before Goodell and Willie came out to the podium then yes.

Pats got the pick in relatively quickly which at that point people in the know where going to find out.

I just realized I have not graded this draft personally. So here is my comprehensive breakdown spot by spot as well as an overall grade.

#29 - Easley DT - By this time the safeties I wanted were gone. There were TEs on the board but I wouldn't want them at 29 (even my TE binkie ASJ). What made the most sense here was an impact DL ideally a pass rusher. Easley was by far the best option on the board for this need. Hageman is more of a run stopper with some pass rush skills but not a true 3 tech. No DE made sense either. If the reports on his health are correct I think this is a very smart risk (oxymoron there maybe). Grade A-

#62 - Garo - QB - The pick that got the most hate of any. However the more I look at it the more I don't mind it. All the TEs worth the #62 pick where gone by this time IMO & ASJ/Amaro did not fall in a reasonable trade up range for their value IMO. A center or guard would have made sense but I am happy with the later selections. They didn't really have any other starting needs besides those spots so taking a QB here in retrospect is fine I suppose. If he turns into a decent starter it will be a great pick but we will see. Will sure make preseason more interesting anyway and was good value for the player. The only player I really would have wanted here was Marcus Martin - Center. However Stork should be serviceable enough so no big missed opportunity here. Grade B-

#93 - Trade - for 105 and 179 - I am fine with this trade. No one at 93 jumped out to me as a must take. Pick up another pick. - Grade A-

#105 - Stork - C - This is a solid pick for this spot and probably would have taken him at #93 but get better value here. Not much to say here. Probably the last center that had a chance to start in the draft. Good pick and hit a need with good value - Grade A-

#130 - White - RB - Probably the worst pick in the draft. Not that he is a bad player or particularly bad value here. Just RBs were so deep I felt they could have good a similar player later. Just no one skill sticks out about him but he is well rounded. In most drafts he would have been good value but in this draft they probably could have waited on him. Honestly i am more excited about Finch (an UDFA RB they picked up) than White even though he is more limited. However not horrible either - Grade C

#140 - Fleming - OT/OG - Versatile OL player. Should do well here. They needed another jack of all trades guy if Connolly goes and probably picked him with that in mind. Career backup likely but good enough depth value - Grade C+

#179 - Halapio - G - My personaly favorite value pick of the draft. This guys is tough as nails and looks like a possible future starter as a pure breed guard. Needs coaching but I like his upside. Grade A

#198 - Zach Mooore - DE - Not much to say here. Guy has good upside and is worth a pick here but not a home run either. Measured risk on a high upside player. Grade B-

#206 - Jamea Thomas - DB - This is one of my other favorite picks. Undersized DB but has talent 2-3 rounds higher and versatile. Even in our backfield he could show up on snaps this year. The more i read about him the more I like. Possible Arrington replacement. Grade: A-

#244 - Jeremy Gallon - WR - I wouldn't mind him being small if he had a trait that really jumped off the charts. However his quickness and speed are only good not great. Usually not good enough for a guy who is 5'7. I think this would have been a good spot to pick a TE with high upside even though I am sure we are planning to sign a Vet FA one. Grade C.

Overall Grade B.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes