Welcome to PatsFans.com

Draft goes on, but what about UDFA?

Discussion in 'Patriots Draft Talk' started by convertedpatsfan, Mar 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. convertedpatsfan

convertedpatsfan PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +181 / 1 / -1

#12 Jersey

Prolonged lockout hurts undrafted rookies - AFC East Blog - ESPN

I hadn't thought about this, but it makes sense. No CBA = no UDFAs after the draft.

2. MaineMan

MaineMan 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Can't sign them doesn't mean you can't keep tabs on them. I'd have to gues that - if there IS a training camp - the Pats will have several of the better UDFAs on the roster anyway.

Actually, if the Pats can get "their guys" with the first 4-5 picks, it's not impossible that they trade 4th-5th rounders for multiple later picks to scoop up a few guys who'd otherwise be UDFA.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2011
  3. convertedpatsfan

convertedpatsfan PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +181 / 1 / -1

#12 Jersey

Just a thought, but with the lockout, and no UDFA signings, it could give agents time to re-organize and get their guys to go to the best place for them.

Usually after the draft, there's a huge flurry of phone calls and invites and players who sat through 3 nerve-wracking days may jump at the first offer they get, even if it isn't the best fit for them.

Was thinking of LeGarrette Blount changing his mind last year from the 49ers to Tennessee. He hadn't signed a contract, so it was okay, though it annoyed some 49ers.

I wonder if the delay will give teams a better chance to re-organize as well, and wonder if that might lead to more bidding wars for some coveted UDFAs.

4. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +358 / 27 / -4

There was no one worth drafting in the 6th or 7th rounds. I don't see how re-organizing and lots of study will cause bidding wars for those not drafted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.