PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Draft day trade scenarios for the Patriots

Brady6

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
What are some realistic trades you could see the Patriots making on draft day?

These are what I have –

- Trade #29 to the Detroit Lions for #45 and #76
- Trade #62 to the Cleveland Browns for #83 and #106
- Trade #93 to the Jacksonville Jaguars for #105 and #150
- Trade #130 and #198 to the Oakland Raiders for pick #107

What do you all have? Feel free to include Ryan Mallet trade scenarios as well.

Trades will be tough to come by in this draft because of the level of talent in the top 3 rounds. You already have teams coming out and saying they would like to trade but everyone wants to hoard their picks.

I can see them making a small move out of 29 if someone out of the Houston, JAX, Cleveland, Oakland, Tampa, Minnesota, Tennessee group fall in love with one of the second tier QBs or if someone falls, but I don't think we get much more than a 4th/5th or a 2015 pick.

This year most teams seem to want to trade down for extra picks.
A team might offer the Patriots an extra pick or two to trade up
if they could badly short change the Patriots trade value pointwise.
Otherwise, the Patriots might move down slightly in the first round
like the earlier poster suggested for a late round pick.

This is the year I'd like to get back to having two #1s next year. I don't have a specific team in mind but with teams not wanting to trade multiple picks, you know a team will still want to move up. So while you Detroit deal for #29 is appealing I think we're more likely to be able to get #76 and their #1 next year. And I would love to get to our rightful place of having two #1s next year.

This is the year I'd like to get back to having two #1s next year. I don't have a specific team in mind but with teams not wanting to trade multiple picks, you know a team will still want to move up. So while you Detroit deal for #29 is appealing I think we're more likely to be able to get #76 and their #1 next year. And I would love to get to our rightful place of having two #1s next year.

I hear you on the getting back to having two first round picks but it is such a loaded draft.

Can see a trade up to get a major day 1 starter impact player whilst teams are looking to trade down.

I hear you on the getting back to having two first round picks but it is such a loaded draft.
Which is why it's a good chance to do it.

If we got a #3 this year and #1 next year, we'd still have 2,3,3,4,4,6,6,7 in this draft.

We've never gotten lucky with our extra #1s in terms of getting a really high pick except the Mayo pick; but the Rams this year are a reminder why it's nice to get another team's #1 and hope to get lucky. I'd take that list of picks above and a #1 next year.

I like your reasoning here. An extra first and maybe an extra 3rd next year (Talib comp pick) would be nice.

I doubt they'll get a comp for Talib.

If they could move that 1st to a mid 2nd & mid 5th...

Why wouldn't they? It's one of the biggest deals of the off-season and they've not made an equivalent signing.

Why don't you think they'll get a comp for Talib? See the 2015 Comp pick thread. Obviously the formula is still nebulous and there were more surprises this year than in recent years, but that said, it appears a 3rd rounder for Talib is reasonable to expect at this point.

Why don't you think they'll get a comp for Talib? See the 2015 Comp pick thread. Obviously the formula is still nebulous and there were more surprises this year than in recent years, but that said, it appears a 3rd rounder for Talib is reasonable to expect at this point.

only because they signed Revis and Browner.

Why wouldn't they? It's one of the biggest deals of the off-season and they've not made an equivalent signing.

Revis isn't equivalent to Talib??....who else did we lose?...Fletcher?...Blount?...??

we also signed Browner and Lafell...

Yes!! I dearly miss the flexibility of extra picks.

I'd be happy dial it down one notch, though, and aim for a 2015 2nd.

Revis isn't equivalent to Talib??....who else did we lose?...Fletcher?...Blount?...??

Revis was cut so doesn't factor into the equation.

I know Manxman already answered this, but really - the 2015 Comp pick thread is a very good resource for this.

Just to summarize:
- Lost Talib, Spikes, Blount, Fletcher
- Signed Browner, LaFell

Revis doesn't count for this purpose since he was cut - just like how Gregory and Sopoaga won't count as players the Pats lost. Both Will Smith and Michael Bush are in for visits today, and both also won't count if signed since they were cut by their prior teams.

At the moment, it appears Browner matches up with Spikes, and LaFell matches up with Blount. That leaves Talib and Fletcher. So a reasonable starting point is that currently, the Pats are likely eligible for a 3rd and a 7th round pick next year.

If thats the cse, then i'm all for it, be great to have an xtra 3rd.:)

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
Back