PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Draft Daddy's Two-Round Mock - 4/6/09

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a strange draft. Not just for the Pats.

Their first round is not unreasonable until the end. Louis Delmas going #21 seems a bit high but it could happen. Philip Loadholt is a reach. Alphonso Smith and especially DJ Moore look like they are 2nd round picks.
I don't think the Eagles fans here would like those 2 picks very much, esp. Loadholt when Britton & Beatty are still available. And the Titans really need a WR.

The second round is crazy. No William Moore or Patrick Chung? Hakeem Nicks falling to 45, William Beatty to 51, James Laurinaitis to 53 and Larry English to 63? I like Mike Wallace a lot and have suggested targeting him at #124 (or even 97), but going #57? These are big stretches.
Their 2nd round is completely AFU.

For the Pats, Barwin at 23 is solid. A DE at 34 is also solid. They have Gilbert going #36 to Cleveland, so essentially they have the Pats choosing between Hood and Gilbert at #34. If we end up with that choice I would be quite happy. I personally see Gilbert of Hood for us, but if the FO prefers Hood I'm fine with it.
I prefer Gilbert because of his superior height & wingspan, and he can prob. reach the QB faster from the DE than Hood, who I see as more of a 4-3 DT.

Asher Allen at 47 is crazy. We don't need a day 1 CB, and Allen's not a day 1 pick. And William Beatty is still available. At 58, Larry English would be an absolute steal, or one of the safeties (Moore or Chung). I think I would go after English and then try to trade up in the 3rd for Moore or Chung, even if we have to use a 2010 pick - say, #89 and a 2010 3rd round pick.

So I would ideally have:

21 - Connor Barwin, OLB
34 - Jarron Gilbert or Ziggy Hood, DE
47 - William Beatty, OT
58 - Larry English, DE/LB
early 3rd - William Moore or Patrick Chung, S

That would be a heck of a draft.

If we draft Barwin, then I would pass on English and decide btwn. Moore or Chung.

Hood should be gone by 34. I would jump all over him at 34. I could see this flipped-Hood at 23 and Barwin 34. I am not sold on Barwin at 23. Not sure I would take him until 58. I am really struggling om Barwin. Cincinatti does not produce alot of round one guarantees. Especially at this pass rush position. Be careful not to overdraft here because he is a good guy-good athlete.

Cinci has sent 95 alums to the NFL.
Troy on the other hand has sent a grand total of 4 alums to the NFL. Demarcus Ware happens to be one of them.
Got anything else?

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/colleges/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call