PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dr. Z on Jets Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Dr Z on Jets Camp

"Looking at the Schedule

It's a steal. It would be hard to finish up worse than 10-6, even with Chad Pennington still running the offense. The toughest part comes in the beginning -- Dolphins, Patriots, Chargers, which could start the Jets at 1-2. And while the fans are drafting their nasty letters, the team plays six straight against clubs with non-winning records last year. Time for sober reflection with Tennessee and New England next up, but the schedule eases again with a final quintet featuring four softies (Bills, Broncos and Dolphins at home, 49ers on the road) plus a tough roadie in Seattle."

Dr. Z has a lot of confidence in the Farve....

"Looking at the Schedule

It's a steal. It would be hard to finish up worse than 10-6, even with Chad Pennington still running the offense. The toughest part comes in the beginning -- Dolphins, Patriots, Chargers, which could start the Jets at 1-2. And while the fans are drafting their nasty letters, the team plays six straight against clubs with non-winning records last year. Time for sober reflection with Tennessee and New England next up, but the schedule eases again with a final quintet featuring four softies (Bills, Broncos and Dolphins at home, 49ers on the road) plus a tough roadie in Seattle."

Dr. Z has a lot of confidence in the Farve....

Too much, in my opinion.
1) I wouldn't classify 2 games against the Bills as 'softies' this year.
2) He neglects to mention that 4 of the away games are on the west coast and unlike the Pats they aren't back to back when they could stay there. 4 coast to coasters is 24000 miles of travel.....
That has to take a toll on them.......
3) I wouldn't bet against a very motivated Pennington winning at least once.
4) Favre learning new system and new terminology in 3 weeks.....

I think 8-8 even with that schedule is more likely....

Too much, in my opinion.
1) I wouldn't classify 2 games against the Bills as 'softies' this year.
2) He neglects to mention that 4 of the away games are on the west coast and unlike the Pats they aren't back to back when they could stay there. 4 coast to coasters is 24000 miles of travel.....
That has to take a toll on them.......
3) I wouldn't bet against a very motivated Pennington winning at least once.
4) Favre learning new system and new terminology in 3 weeks.....

I think 8-8 even with that schedule is more likely....

I say your right about that. It is going to take Farve a while to get used to the jest way of things.....Mangini is now in the fight for his career....

I think Z is way overating the Jets - their schedule may be easy but the Jets are also an "easy" game on most other schedules.

Assuming we beat them twice, Z is saying they would be 10-4 with Penny; I don't think so.

I say your right about that. It is going to take Farve a while to get used to the jest way of things.....Mangini is now in the fight for his career....

Favre just needs to know enough of the playbook to beat the Dolphins in week 1. They'll lose the next two (Patriots, Chargers), but that will be 3 more weeks of learning before facing another 'winnable' game against the Cardinals. After the Cardinals comes a bye week and then that easy portion of the schedule. If the Jets can get to the bye week at .500, they'll have an excellent shot at the playoffs.

Favre just needs to know enough of the playbook to beat the Dolphins in week 1. They'll lose the next two (Patriots, Chargers), but that will be 3 more weeks of learning before facing another 'winnable' game against the Cardinals. After the Cardinals comes a bye week and then that easy portion of the schedule. If the Jets can get to the bye week at .500, they'll have an excellent shot at the playoffs.

Would you agree that if the Jets dont make the playoffs this year, Mangini is in danger?

Would you agree that if the Jets dont make the playoffs this year, Mangini is in danger?

I don't follow the Jets front office enough to know any inside information. Having said that, the pressure to fire him after two non-playoff seasons and this high spending offseason would likely be very intense. Boston, New York and Philadelphia are, perhaps, the 3 least forgiving fan bases in the country, and I doubt 1 playoff year in 3 would be enough to keep the wolves at bay.

I don't follow the Jets front office enough to know any inside information. Having said that, the pressure to fire him after two non-playoff seasons and this high spending offseason would likely be very intense. Boston, New York and Philadelphia are, perhaps, the 3 least forgiving fan bases in the country, and I doubt 1 playoff year in 3 would be enough to keep the wolves at bay.

Very true. It shall be interesting to hear about. Maybe he will have another commercial where he is throwing more cell phones.....

Bad mariage, Jets use option principle to dictate mismatches in coverage. Farve has had a steady diet of slant or slant go. He does'nt really match what they have been doing. People will say that that will change and maybe you'll have to respect the deep ball and so on and so forth. What I see is an old QB with set tendencies in a square hole, can you say chuck and duck.

Also by bringing in Favre they did raise the expectation level significantly. Say they went 8-8 with Clemens, they could sell the owner on a 4-game improvement and a young QB going into his 2nd full season as a starter. May or may not have worked. But now there is a playoffs or bust expectation level from the fanbase, media, and likely ownership.

If Chad has a win against the Jets in him it's week 1 as Favre is still gelling with his receivers/OL. They are not going into cold weather and winning a game the Jets may very well need to make the playoffs in week 17.

It seems that opinions on the Jets seem to fall squarely into one of two camps.

In the first camp are the Favre ballwashers who think he will turn them into instant Super Bowl contenders. This camp assumes that 2005 and 2006 were the statistical anomolies in Favre's dossier and they therefore imagine that his statistically very good 2007 season will be repeated in 2008. Few here are in that camp; however, many sportswriters are.

In the second camp are those who expect Favre to fail as a Jet. They point to his having to learn a new system for the first time in 16 years. They point to his age and the fact that few 39 year old quarterbacks have ever had success. They point to the incompatibility of his swashbuckling style and the Jets tightly controlled coaching style. They question whether he was really motivated to play for the Jets after hemming and hawing about retiring for the past 3 or 4 years. They question whether he would be happy in the big city spotlight and media fishbowl which is New York. Virtually every poster here is in this camp, although one can certainly question our objectivity since we have a vested interest in seeing Bretty and the Jets fail.

While I tend to side with the second camp, I also recognize that no really knows how Favre will do as a Jet. I think it is possible that he will continue his good play from last year, but it is equally possible (or more, IMHO) that he will fail miserably due to all the factors previously mentioned. So we're just going to have to wait and see. While that may not be as much fun as prognosticating it is surely a lot more reliable! :)

Yeah, and if they DO make the playoffs, he's back to "Mangenius."

Bad mariage, Jets use option principle to dictate mismatches in coverage. Farve has had a steady diet of slant or slant go. He does'nt really match what they have been doing. People will say that that will change and maybe you'll have to respect the deep ball and so on and so forth. What I see is an old QB with set tendencies in a square hole, can you say chuck and duck.
You are assuming the Jets will intentionally do things that Farve does not do well, and not do things he does well. That makes no sense at all.

Why in the world, if Favre's strength is the long ball, would Mangini run "a steady diet of slant or slant go" as you call it?

Yeah, and if they DO make the playoffs, he's back to "Mangenius."

Goodness....I can see that in the all of the new york news papers hailing him as a Genius for grabbing the Farve and saving the jets....

Unlikely.....

I also recognize that no really knows how Favre will do as a Jet.
We all recognize that no one knows how Favre will do. We are all making educated guesses.

So we're just going to have to wait and see. While that may not be as much fun as prognosticating it is surely a lot more reliable! :)
Hindsight generally is 20/20.

I think most NFL fans who are not Jets fans do not fall into either of your two camps, but somewhere in the middle. Talking heads, of course, talk about Favre as though he is every bit as infallible as they said Reggie Bush would be (before he actually started playing).

Last edited:
This whole schedule thing is a farce. No one really knows how tough anyone's schedule is going to be this year. This is a league where a team can go from 5-11 to the Super Bowl in 1-2 years. Last year before the season, Baltimore, the Jets, Rams, Eagles, etc. were supposed to be tough competition in a lot of people's eyes while teams like Jacksonville, Giants, Browns, and Texans weren't supposed to do anything.

For Dr. Z to say it would be hard for the Jets to finish worse than 10-6 even with Pennington at QB just further shows how the game has passed him by. Those comments are as dumb as him predicting the Dolphins would go to the Super Bowl two years ago.

im loving the daily jets threads on this forum:)

Fave may not survive the 1st 3 games. I think the old Favre will flush himself from the pocket to make something happen and he will be creamed and injured ... we'll be the lucky ones who catch him out of that pocket.:D

im loving the daily jets threads on this forum:)
I have nothing against Favre,but even when he was still with GB I thought he was over rated. If you look objectivly at his career it gone down hill pretty much since 2000. Most years he's thrown more int's than TD's,and usually in the biggest games. I don't see him thrieving in NY because he wasn't doing so in GB. So why should he start now?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand