PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Don Yee goes after NFL for their characterization of the phone issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
But didn't he say the phone was broken? They would just have implied he broke it intentionally.

I'm not willing to accept that the phone was actually "destroyed" as opposed to just the data was deleted, but in either event, The mistake was to delete the data or smash the phone, whichever version is true, as opposed to just putting it away in a safe somewhere or safe-deposit box. Once that was done, if you are headed to court, and if the other side is allowed to do discovery, you might have to say it then. Better to get it out now.
Legally Brady had every right to do what he did with his phone. Just doesn't play well in the court of public opinion.

The league says that Brady was never asked for his phone. Don Yee says that the league just wanted all the information, not necessarily the phone itself, and was given all the relevant information. Well says that he was willing to just take the information, and not the phone. That being the case, why does the destruction of the phone matter?

Until people get past that, their opinions don't mean a damned thing.

The league says that Brady was never asked for his phone. Don Yee says that the league just wanted all the information, not necessarily the phone itself, and was given all the relevant information. Well says that he was willing to just take the information, and not the phone. That being the case, why does the destruction of the phone matter?

Until people get past that, their opinions don't mean a damned thing.
I don't necessarily disagree with what you were saying, but in the court of public opinion, their opinions are the only thing that matters.

I don't necessarily disagree with what you were saying, but in the court of public opinion, their opinions are the only thing that matters.
At least, in my opinion.:D

Anything, anything at all done with his phone would be twisted by the NFL. A few text threads deleted? He did it to hide something! Phone was broken? He had something to hide! Put it away in a lockbox? He's hiding something!

I keep saying it, and Goodell keeps demonstrating that I'm right:

Goodell is a True Believer and a crusader. Logic and facts are irrelevant once he believes something. Remember, this is the guy who demanded a lower standard of guilt in all this stuff.
That actually gives Goodell more credit than I have been ascribing to him. On your read he is at least acting out of a set of convictions even if they blind him to the facts on the ground. In some, that can be transformed into something resembling "the good," in others it can be destructive, as in this case.

The court of public opinion doesn't matter, because the vast majority of the public is ignorant.
Yes, it seems to me that I read somewhere that the object of life is not to be in the comfortable majority but rather to escape the ranks of the insane.
Or words to that effect.

That actually gives Goodell more credit than I have been ascribing to him. On your read he is at least acting out of a set of convictions even if they blind him to the facts on the ground. In some, that can be transformed into something resembling "the good," in others it can be destructive, as in this case.

He is, IMO. One can be a true believer and still be an evil bastard. That happens all the time. Rodger Goodell has the kind of mind that would be exceedingly comfortable being a member of ISIS, as long as he was among the leadership.*

*Note: I'm talking about his mental makeup, not his set of beliefs. I don't claim he's an ISIS supporter, in any way.

The "court of public opinion" is completely meaningless at this point - and I would argue it was completely meaningless all along.

The fix has been in since the Patriots beat the Ravens, and has been ever since, and this is where we've been headed all along.

Dear Don,

Why does the NFL even know about Tom's switch in phones??
And if you, Don Yee, played any role at all in advising Brady to disclose that no-need-for-the-league-to-know-info to the NFL then Mr. Brady needs to fire you immediately.

You KNEW Goodell and Co. were/are dishonest media leaking snakes and YOU volunteer, you cough up info you never had to cough up about destroying a phone???

How f*%&king stupid can you be?????????
Uh, no. Just no. They absolutely had to disclose this. They knew that at the appeal hearing Brady might be under oath and asked where the phone was he would either have to tell the truth and say it was disposed of or destroyed or comit perjury and lie. Since he is not going to lie about this you get the information out before the appeal so there is no aha moment during the testimony. He could potentially refuse to answer the question at the appeal, but knowing this was likely headed to court he would likely be compelled to answer. There was no way this information would stay hidden unless he rolled over and took the suspension.

As I posted earlier, the NFLPA has now filed, in Minnesota.

As I posted earlier, the NFLPA has now filed, in Minnesota.

And considering the NFL's attorneys botched the original filing, Minnesota will more than likely be the place where this is held.

The "court of public opinion" is completely meaningless at this point - and I would argue it was completely meaningless all along.

The fix has been in since the Patriots beat the Ravens, and has been ever since, and this is where we've been headed all along.

The court of public opinion is everything. Once the story was broken by Kravitz and spread from coast to coast by every media outlet both sports and unsports, Goodell had to hammer the Patriots to make up for being soft on Rice. That was a given. The variable was how well the NFL on one side and Brady/Patriots/NFLPA on the other would spin it. If Brady had won that war, it wouldn't have mattered what Goodell decided. Brady would be the unjustly punished innocent and Goodell would've been the tyrannical dictator. Amazingly, in the eyes of the public, the league's PR success has turned Goodell into a champion for truth.

How any judge in any court cannot see straight though what the NFL did would be beyond me.

The court of public opinion is everything.

So if goodell is charged with contempt of (federal) court on August 13th will court of public opinion be everything then?

The court of public opinion is everything. Once the story was broken by Kravitz and spread from coast to coast by every media outlet both sports and unsports, Goodell had to hammer the Patriots to make up for being soft on Rice. That was a given. The variable was how well the NFL on one side and Brady/Patriots/NFLPA on the other would spin it. If Brady had won that war, it wouldn't have mattered what Goodell decided. Brady would be the unjustly punished innocent and Goodell would've been the tyrannical dictator. Amazingly, in the eyes of the public, the league's PR success has turned Goodell into a champion for truth.

The court of public opinion couldn't be more meaningless today.

Unless you're under the mistaken belief that every NFL fan that hates the Patriots would "totally come around".

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST