PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Does Dan Koppen Want A Huge Payday? "I gotta do what’s best for my family."

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was asked what his decision is based on. I think it is very reasonable to believe that he will make his decision based upon what is best for his family, and not credible to assume he has other motives, but decided to make up that his family is at the heart of his decision in order to forge a propaganda campaign.

Perhaps he wishes to have his family live a luxuorious lifestyle. Or maybe he wants to ensure his children will be set for life given the chance that he could suffer severe health issues, like his teammate Ted Johnson, at an early age.
Maybe he just wants to have an extra few mill laying around to give his family a nicer house to live in. Is there something wrong with that?

That isn't what he said. In fact responding to whether he would stay where he has roots, or relocate for money, he simply said he would do what is best for his family. That may very well mean taking less because staying put is better for his family.
I get that you are angry that athletes are wealthier than you, but you look moronic to act as if them wanting to be paid more money rather than less money is some type of character flaw.

In the sports business the family excuse is an ancient pr trick. It is effective because many fans buy into it.

The character flaw is that athletes who just want more money basically use the family excuse as cover for wanting to get paid. Maybe in Koppen's case I'm wrong, but I don't think so.

The notion that I'm "angry that athletes are wealthier than me" is ridiculous on so many levels I don't know where to begin.

Sometimes a touch of humility can be a virtue. You would do well to re-read a few of your prior posts before calling me a moron.

Yes, I read the article.

You can pretend that he is saying something else, but as Rapoport says, it sounds like he's leaving if he gets more money. That's because it is commonplace for players to use the family excuse to leave a place they have played for a long time because they want more money. You certainly know enough about the sports business to understand that.

Well, if you read it, then I don't believe you understood it. Koppen was ASKED a question and he answered it honestly. No where in the article did he say he was going to want a huge payday as the OP implied. And Koppen wasn't using his family as an excuse to leave.

Not only that, but Rappaport did NOT say that it sounds like Koppen is leaving if he gets more money. In fact, Rappaport did not comment one way or the other in that article.

"The starter since 2003 is taking a very open-minded, business-like approach to the situation, though. To me, though Koppen didn’t say it, it sounds like he’d like a multi-year deal without taking a pay-cut from the $2.9 million he made last year. And on the open market, he might command that."

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/s...ency-i’d-love-to-come-back-here-and-play-but/

I thought that was Rapoport's take and I took the multiyear deal at the same annual salary as an increase. But you're right in that it could be interpreted as the same money and not an increase.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back