PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do other teams really covet McDaniels as a Head Coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeSixPat

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
I'm wondering how other team fans view Josh McDaniels as a sought after potential head coach, as the NFL Network Adam Schefter asserted today on WEEI.

Some Patsfans view him as the best thing since sliced bread - others have questioned his playcalling choices in years when he didn't have the benefit of Randy Moss and basically gave up in trying to establish an even halfway credible deep threat in 2006.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=63544

Is Josh a guy other team fans would covet as their head coach? Or would they worry that the guy might not look all that good without Brady, Moss and Welker on the field executing his plays.

was Mangini worth it after 1 year?

Other teams in the NFL think they can turn their organization into a clone of the Pats if they hire BB's protege. As was stated in the radio interview, they would still lack one important piece - Tom Brady.

Other teams in the NFL think they can turn their organization into a clone of the Pats if they hire BB's protege. As was stated in the radio interview, they would still lack one important piece - Tom Brady.
How ironic...for weeks all you hear is how everyone despises the "cheating" Patriots and loathes Bill Belichick, but apparently, they'll be clamoring for the services of McDaniels on the hope that he has a fraction of the great coaches knowledge!

i think the Jets are interested in him.

It's a case of "winning Team Syndrome."

As of last season, McDaniels was not a good offensive coordinator, IMO.

He had several glaring weaknesses, and again, IMO, made many, many mistakes.

He was bailed out, many times, by late heroics from the defense.

His biggest weakness, and once again this is just my opinion, is that he is far too slow to adjust to changes made by opposing defensive coordinators. This was very evident inthe 2nd half of last season's AFC title game against the Colts.

And, his lack of making quick change, and sticking with the scripted game plan, and play calling, at the opening of games, was a huge weakness. And, his red zone offense was not good, and in fact, even with the big weapons this year, it has gotten worse.

Last week, against the Browns for example, the red zone offense was as bad as I have ever seen it, and the problem was not in execution, it was, without any doubt, the fault of horrible play calling and failure to use the weapons at hand.

Fortunately, we have a lot more weapons at his disposal, and thus far it has worked out well.

Does this mean that I think he sucks? NOPE

Does this mean that I dont think he will get as NFL HC job? NOPE, that may very well be in his cards, but not now..he has not proven he can win unless handed a stuffed deck... he has the weapons, and I would venture a guess that many people could be successful with the talent he has.

That, once again, is not a knock on McDaniels. I just believe he is far too green, too inexperienced, and is still, out of his league...

Will that change, maybe yes, may not. But, at this juncture, Schefter is far out in left field, and just jumping on a winning team's bandwagon.

McDaniels has a long way to go before he gains the qualifications to become a long time NFL head coach...Hell, he hasnt even got his OC credentials yet, as so many people have told me when I have criticized his play calling last season... Many said to me..well, Belichick runs them all anyway, McDaniels is just the middle man. A cop out, IMO, for McDaniels weaknesses.

This year, maybe he has more control, because of the talent level, but he still is far away from an HC offers in this leage. ASnd, he is lfar too young to draw respect from most of the longer time players.

Just my opinions. McDaniels has improved, but not enough...YET.

It's understandable that coordinators from other teams are going to be of interest to teams in need of coaches. Frankly I'm confused as to why McDaniels is the prime name and not Dean Pees.

Pees did a great job overall last year I thought, even hampered by injuries, the lack of LBs etc... he never gave up and found ways to cover up deficiencies.

Even McDaniels supporters meanwhile admit that he "gave up" on trying to develope a credible enough deep game to keep 9 defensive player from stacking the line.

And that was with Tom Brady at QB - if a team is looking for an offensive boost and wants McDaniels they likely have a mediocre QB and a mediocre WR - and therefore GMs might want to consider if he's well suited to breath life in an offense with limited skills.

All that being said, one hopes that McDaniels learned from his mistakes last year... and yes, as much as some want to believe otherwise, he did make plenty of mistakes last year...

Hopefully he is getting better though - having Moss and Welker are certainly a good way of making one appear to have improved, that's for sure!

In their quest for a clone of BB other teams might sign our Coordinators, however to sign them without replicating a similar management structure will negate their ability to create and other pats clone.

Consider Bob Kraft, he leaves things alone, keeps contract stuff quiet and lets his management team manage the team.

Scott Pioli, behind the scenes guy, who keeps players coming..

BB, a coach who knows more about the game than anyone else, smarter than most who knows how to attract veteran players, how to use them and manage the team to make them all better.

Consider Romeo and Savage in Cleveland, a tenuous relationship at best. Romeo will never rise to the status of BB, and we will never know how good he could be because he is being held back by the Cleveland Org.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News