PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dinner with the Head Coach 2016!

Status
Not open for further replies.

signbabybrady

Pro Bowl Player
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
As I teased the other day we got to attend the Dinner with the Head Coach again this year. Thank you times a billion @fgssand. Best father ever!

I'll skip to the meat of the night then tell some of the other stuff.

We got our photo op with BB I was so excited I forgot to take one on my phone but they will send the copy they take later in the week. My buddy circled back and had the stones to ask for a selfy and took it with a Free Brady Hat on. He actually had a huge smile when he saw the hat. We thought he might not want to take the pic with it.

Then he gave a quick speech about where we are at in the off-season. Still only 5-10 practices in on what is a real long road. He talked about how he liked this event as its always signals the start of the year. Then he opened it up to questions.

I managed to get 2 in.

My First question: I asked given you drafted CB first this year what are the traits you look for in a corner?

His response was that with WRs getting bigger he thinks size is important. That teams really covet those guys early that are bigger and still fast. He said obviously speed and quickness is important. And that they better be able to handle the deeper half of the field. And that he and his team probably take a bigger priority in tackling. He also noted specifically with Jones they like that he is a 4 down player with potential to be a good returner.

I was a little surprised the first thing he said was size given that most of the CBs he has drafted weren't bigger than 6ft.

The second question: I asked that in the past you have mentioned not wanting to coach into your 70s like Marv Levy but that we would all love for him to hang around another 10 or 15 years have you reconsidered that thought at all?

His response was that he tries to take that year by year. Not that as a manager he doesn't have an eye on the next few years because he does he has to be cognizant of future when building a team but that he is really focused on the current year. He still loves what he is doing and can't think of doing anything else and he is just really focused on this year.

This kind of scared the crap out of me and maybe that's just because I was hoping he would say he is more open to it as he's getting closer. I think his real point was just that he didn't want to think to much about that far in the future. But I couldn't help but think when he first made the Levy comments he was probably in his late 50's and saying that gave him a 10 year window which is more comforting than year by year. My father pointed out if you want to be positive about it he didn't rule out coaching into his 70s like he did with the Levy comments.

He was clearly more focused on loving his job and taking it year to year but my own mind had me a little scared by the answer.

My favorite question someone else asked was about some of the different things he does to motivate his team especially given the success and potential to get complacent.

His response was about leaders in the locker room and how they have different styles a guy like Troy was quite but still very effective where Bru was more emotional and vocal but equally effective. But then he went on to talk about bringing in new guys that maybe have come from teams that aren't so good. Citing Corey Dillon and Randy Moss as examples. That they come in and can be really excited to go from a team that hasn't been winning to one that has a chance and that it can rub off on the team with guys wanting to win for them. What really excited me about this is that I couldn't help but think that this was his exact thinking with Chris Long and from what I've heard Long is excited in this exact way.

I'll post more if I can remember it.

Some highlights from the rest of the night included a speech from Tippett, and a trip to the field for picture ops. I ran onto the field pretending to pump up the crowd. Went over and waved to my seat. Then got my group to huddle up for Bru like Awe Yeah chant. Got another chance to check out the newest ring it really is a thing of beauty.

The night was so much fun.

Tippett's son went to the same camp I did growing up. West End House Boys Camp in Maine so I asked if his son loved it their and his son did he said kids from his neighborhood convinced him to go and they all loved it so much he even said his son was a west ender which is how we all refer to ourselves.

I also asked that he tell his Ken O'Brien story which I've heard before but I love it.

Interesting thing is I almost sensed a little embarrassment I assume given the added microscope on concussion. He started by couching the statement by saying football is a tough sport. But then went onto to say that at the pro bowl a friend and teammate of O'Brien's told him he really messed them up that he hit their QB so hard he was reciting his plays from high school.

That's it for now.

As I teased the other day we got to attend the Dinner with the Head Coach again this year. Thank you times a billion @fgssand. Best father ever!

We got our photo op with BB I was so excited I forgot to take one on my phone but they will send the copy they take later in the week. My buddy circled back and had the stones to ask for a selfy and took it with a Free Brady Hat on. He actually had a huge smile when he saw the hat. We thought he might not want to take the pic with it.

Then he gave a quick speech about where we are at in the off-season. Still only 5-10 practices in on what is a real long road. He talked about how he liked this event as its always signals the start of the year. Then he opened it up to questions.

I managed to get 2 in.

My First question: I asked given you drafted CB first this year what are the traits you look for in a corner?

His response was that with WRs getting bigger he thinks size is important. That teams really covet those guys early that are bigger and still fast. He said obviously speed and quickness is important. And that they better be able to handle the deeper half of the field. And that he and his team probably take a bigger priority in tackling. He also noted specifically with Jones they like that he is a 4 down player with potential to be a good returner.

I was a little surprised the first thing he said was size given that most of the CBs he has drafted weren't bigger than 6ft.

The second question: I asked that in the past you have mentioned not wanting to coach into your 70s like Marv Levy but that we would all love for him to hang around another 10 or 15 years have you reconsidered that thought at all?

His response was that he tries to take that year by year. Not that as a manager he doesn't have an eye on the next few years because he does he has to be cognizant of future when building a team but that he is really focused on the current year. He still loves what he is doing and can't think of doing anything else and he is just really focused on this year.

This kind of scared the crap out of me and maybe that's just because I was hoping he would say he is more open to it as he's getting closer. I think his real point was just that he didn't want to think to much about that far in the future. But I couldn't help but think when he first made the Levy comments he was probably in his late 50's and saying that gave him a 10 year window which is more comforting than year by year. My father pointed out if you want to be positive about it he didn't rule out coaching into his 70s like he did with the Levy comments.

He was clearly more focused on loving his job and taking it year to year but my own mind had me a little scared by the answer.

My favorite question someone else asked was about some of the different things he does to motivate his team especially given the success and potential to get complacent.

His response was about leaders in the locker room and how they have different styles a guy like Troy was quite but still very effective where Bru was more emotional and vocal but equally effective. But then he went on to talk about bringing in new guys that maybe have come from teams that aren't so good. Citing Corey Dillon and Randy Moss as examples. That they come in and can be really excited to go from a team that hasn't been winning to one that has a chance and that it can rub off on the team with guys wanting to win for them. What really excited me about this is that I couldn't help but think that this was his exact thinking with Chris Long and from what I've heard Long is excited in this exact way.

Some highlights from the rest of the night included a speech from Tippett, and a trip to the field for picture ops. I ran onto the field pretending to pump up the crowd. Went over and waved to my seat. Then got my group to huddle up for Bru like Awe Yeah chant. Got another chance to check out the newest ring it really is a thing of beauty.

Tippett's son went to the same camp I did growing up. West End House Boys Camp in Maine so I asked if his son loved it their and his son did he said kids from his neighborhood convinced him to go and they all loved it so much he even said his son was a west ender which is how we all refer to ourselves.

I also asked that he tell his Ken O'Brien story which I've heard before but I love it.

Interesting thing is I almost sensed a little embarrassment I assume given the added microscope on concussion. He started by couching the statement by saying football is a tough sport. But then went onto to say that at the pro bowl a friend and teammate of O'Brien's told him he really messed them up that he hit their QB so hard he was reciting his plays from high school.

That's it for now.

Thanks for letting us win lotto vicariously.

I would never have a real opportunity (being semipermanently overseas) to attend a dinner w BB, so that tempers the jealousy. But seriously, how do you manage to attend multiple times??!! Still jealous anyway ;)

Just curious did anyone ask him about how he felt about his son coaching with him? I've always wanted to know if he hopes he can work with his son for years to come or wants him to go do his own thing

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Thanks for letting us win lotto vicariously.

I would never have a real opportunity (being semipermanently overseas) to attend a dinner w BB, so that tempers the jealousy. But seriously, how do you manage to attend multiple times??!! Still jealous anyway ;)
We are a just a little bit addicted to football. My Grandfather raised my father on football and he has taken it to another level with us. We are doing are part and passing it on too I have a niece and nephew who already love it with the oldest being 5. And niece on the way who I already bought her first Brady jersey.

But more to the point of your question he uses his Patriots Extra Points card to buy just about everything. He's a salesman so buying flights and gas for all his sales calls is a good start. He'll even pay his mortgage using the card so he can earn enough points for this event.
He's the best man I know. And fortunately he loves nothing more than to go to football games/related events with his kids and grandkids.
Someday somehow we'll repay him but I think it'll probably be more of a pay it forward type thing because there is no way to repay him. He doesn't stop either.

Just curious did anyone ask him about how he felt about his son coaching with him? I've always wanted to know if he hopes he can work with his son for years to come or wants him to go do his own thing

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk
That did not come up this year but it has in the past. I don't want to misrepresent by trying to quote him on something out of memory from a year ago so we'll just he answered it as you would expect.

He did get into a few things about his father when someone asked who was a big influence or mentor to him. No hesitation he said his father.

I prefer to get points for airlines on flights that I do not want..

What a great opportunity, I was at an awards event with him when he was first hired.. like a fool I chose to have my pix taken with Jim Brown rather than BB.. I was still underestimating what he could do, but then everyone was..

Fantastic post, SBB -- great questions for BB.

I managed to get 2 in.

That's it for now.

Thanks for sharing.

The CB response was interesting. I think he was being truthful but not detailing his decision-making and rationale completely. Putting fundamentals, scheme, ball skills and intelligence aside, I think in terms of attributes and priorities, they certainly would prefer a taller CB but not at the expense of other qualities that they look for. For example, if there is a CB that is 6ft but his 3cone or 20/40 yd splits or vertical leap is not as good as say a CB that is 5-9 or 5-10, they will pick the small guy guy. If they are the same, but the 5-10 guy is more physical and better tackler, they'll take the 5-10 guy again. If all attributes are pretty much the same, they'll take the taller guy.

What was on the menu for food?

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing SignBabyBrady. Great stuff!

The thing about him taking it year by year seems very consistent with how he approaches everything. Always in the present, never indulging in the past and never looking a two games ahead. "We're on to Cincinnati."

Thanks for sharing.

The CB response was interesting. I think he was being truthful but not detailing his decision-making and rationale completely. Putting fundamentals, scheme and intelligence aside, I think in terms of attributes and priorities, they certainly would prefer a taller CB but not at the expense of other qualities that they look for. For example, if there is a CB that is 6ft but his 3cone or 20/40 yd splits or vertical leap is not as good as say a CB that is 5-9 or 5-10, they will pick the small guy guy. If they are the same, but the 5-10 guy is more physical and better tackler, they'll take the 5-10 guy again. If all attributes are pretty much the same, they'll take the taller guy.

What was on the menu for food?
That makes sense.

Filet Mignon, chicken, or salmon. I went steak. The cake they gave us for desert was so good too.

That makes sense.

Filet Mignon, chicken, or salmon. I went steak. The cake they gave us for desert was so good too.

Gotta go with the Filet. Always....

Thank you for not asking deflategate questions, great questions and great post!

This is my first post in several months. I'm still having a problem getting up to follow a league that is clearly entirely corrupt, even though I love my own team. But I do stop by to lurk now and then. It was a pleasure to read your OP and the follow ups. The question on the CB's was a dandy. Bill's answer was how I'd reply and interesting given that the ONLY big CB they've ever drafted was an injury bust, and our current group lacks any significant size. To the point where they are probably one of the shortest groups in the league.

The follow up question I would have loved to have asked is, "Bill, given that we don't have any size at the CB position, what are some of the things you can do schematically, to mitigate that height disadvantage? Then I'd wheel up a chalk board, hand him a long piece of chalk, and get out of the way. ;) We'd all be a lot smarter football fans after he was done.

At any rate, thanks for "mitigating" my anger at the league enough to motivate me to post.

As I teased the other day we got to attend the Dinner with the Head Coach again this year..............The night was so much fun.
That's it for now.

I've told you before that I hate you , right? If you've forgotten, I'd like to remind you that I hate you.

OK?

This is my first post in several months. I'm still having a problem getting up to follow a league that is clearly entirely corrupt, even though I love my own team. But I do stop by to lurk now and then. It was a pleasure to read your OP and the follow ups. The question on the CB's was a dandy. Bill's answer was how I'd reply and interesting given that the ONLY big CB they've ever drafted was an injury bust, and our current group lacks any significant size. To the point where they are probably one of the shortest groups in the league.

The follow up question I would have loved to have asked is, "Bill, given that we don't have any size at the CB position, what are some of the things you can do schematically, to mitigate that height disadvantage? Then I'd wheel up a chalk board, hand him a long piece of chalk, and get out of the way. ;) We'd all be a lot smarter football fans after he was done.

At any rate, thanks for "mitigating" my anger at the league enough to motivate me to post.
Happy to hear from u patfanken, hope that u ll be ready for Training camp. We need your postings and observations.

Hang in there buddy. Just remember it's about what goes on on the field. And I agree with the previous post we need you back for TC.

Thanks for this, SBB. Clearly you've been to a few of these so I'm sure BB remembered you. Although I am curious, what other benefits can you get using this card? I hear the ads on Pats radio all the time but I always thought you get like a hat or shirt. This piques my interest a bit more into maybe getting one.

I'm in a similar state of mind about the NYJFL, bro. Let's get together at camp again.

Was just talking with one of the guys I went with. And he reminded me of another good response.

The question was about what kind of sense he had for the joy and memories he's helped provide us?

He instantly quipped that he got a great sense of it at the 4 parades.

Which garnered a round of applause.

He even mentioned how incredible it is that thousands will even greet them at Gillette even after some of the tough losses. He said that how the fans live and support the team is great and that it's a great relationship. He also talked about how great it is on gamedays at Gillette are when things are going well and joked maybe not so much when there not.

He really felt like the parades are very special.

And one of the better technical questions came when someone asked if the growing weight on the oline combined with shrinking weight from LBs that are becoming more and more hybrid and if that could lead to a resurgence in the running game.

His response IMO was pretty telling as it relates to the way he has built this team.

He said that it continues to be harder and harder to run the ball and went onto to say that rather than a resurgence he sees more of a progression that comes from the QBs running the Ball and not just scrambles which has always been there but with the designed runs for the QB it's like adding an extra runner to the attack.
He did wonder if it will continue or if it's just a new trend like the run and shoot.
He continued to talk about weight on the oline saying back on the giants you hardly ever saw 300 pound linebackers and now they almost all are at least 300. But he also said that it's kind of topping out and that with such a spread out game these days a bigger guy on defense gets replaced by 2/3 of the game with a DB. And when he came in they hardly ever ran nickel.

I think that's all I got but if I remember something else I'll add it.

Thanks for this, SBB. Clearly you've been to a few of these so I'm sure BB remembered you. Although I am curious, what other benefits can you get using this card? I hear the ads on Pats radio all the time but I always thought you get like a hat or shirt. This piques my interest a bit more into maybe getting one.

They have three categories.

Experiences. Tickets. And gear/memorabilia. We got our own tickets so I can't give much insight to that. And I would much rather a cool experience to some memorabilia.

We've done a bunch of the experiences with this one clearly being the best.

Not sure if they still offer it but in the past one option was to watch a taping of All Access live.

Another good one I know they still offer is a pre game field pass. You need your own ticket for the game but get to watch the pre game from the sideline. I actually cashed in my points and took my father to this one. See guys I do try to repay him.

They have a training camp lunch with a scout. You get to watch TC from the Vip section and then eat lunch with a scout. We did this several years ago and I'm not positive but I think it might have been my points too. What's really cool about that one was that the scout we got was Jon Robinson who now is the GM of the Titans. He was a nice guy and gave us good insight to the life of s scout and working under BB.

Some cheaper experiences include VIP passes to the hall, a non-game day field visit, and stadium tour.

All the experiences usually include something unadvertised too like a photo op with a ring or something similar.

They also have some experiences that don't interest us as much though as my nieces and nephew get older maybe they will like a mascot visit for your party or a cheerleader experience.

I'm sure I missed plenty.

IMO all the rewards for the credit cards generally suck and while some of these require some big spending at least you come away with some lifetime memories which is so much better than %1 cash back or some of the other crappy options out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back