PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do any other fans feel cheated by the playoffs and this Giants rematch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh it's unlikely for the Saints, but the Giants who were 0-3 against all of them....

lol.

And no that's not the only way. The Saints could beat the Giants and GB and still advance. The 49ers could beat the Saints and GB and still advance. Because at that point something great would happen, strength of victory would come into place. Point differential.

And then TV shows like ESPN would all of a sudden begin teaching the general public the difference between a giveaway, and a takeaway, bad defense or good offense, etc.

Something that's all just bunched up together today as one and the same.

The Giants are actually 2-3 against those teams, winning the games that truly mattered. They also faced the toughest road to the Superbowl of any team and prevailed.

The Giants are actually 2-3 against those teams, winning the games that truly mattered. They also faced the toughest road to the Superbowl of any team and prevailed.

That's the part that's very debatable. Going into the games, yes.
Seeing how those teams played during those games, hell no.

They didn't face the same GB I watched with my own eyes just about every game this season. And they certainly didn't face the same efficient, mistake-free 49ers team that played the Saints and all season. Those versions beat them.

The faced two very sloppy versions of those teams. Is it those teams' fault? In the 49ers case? Sure. GB, maybe not so much, because that team was their offense, and that OC's son dying a week before had to have had an effect.

So yeah, should those teams have been prepared? Yes. Does it suck that they work for 16 games only to be knocked out in that manner and get beat by a team they, not only beat, but KNOW they can beat again? I think so.

And that's the problem with the playoffs system. Sometimes the bottom seeds get the easier road, despite what the seeds ranking might be. Only a round robing or double elimination divisional structure can prevent this from happening.

Last edited:
I feel the opposite of cheated. It heightens the stakes. Because it's a rematch.

If they win, then I feel vindicated, appeased, satisfied at last. If they lose, then I'm doubly crushed, more than the first time.

That's the part that's very debatable. Going into the games, yes.
Seeing how those teams played during those games, hell no.

They didn't face the same GB I watched with my own eyes just about every game this season. And they certainly didn't face the same efficient, mistake-free 49ers team that played the Saints and all season. Those versions beat them.

The faced two very sloppy versions of those teams. Is it those teams' fault? In the 49ers case? Sure. GB, maybe not so much, because that team was their offense, and that OC's son dying a week before had to have had an effect.

So yeah, should those teams have been prepared? Yes. Does it suck that they work for 16 games only to be knocked out in that manner and get beat by a team they, not only beat, but KNOW they can beat again? I think so.

And that's the problem with the playoffs system. Sometimes the bottom seeds get the easier road, despite what the seeds ranking might be. Only a round robing or double elimination divisional structure can prevent this from happening.

Stop refusing to give the Giants their credit. They made the plays and aren't making bone head plays because they handle the pressure. Green Bay didn't play a single 'big' game all season and they clearly didn't have the mentality you need to be a great team. Yes, I'm saying the AREN'T a great team because they can't win when it matters. It doesn't matter that they won 15 games, they can't win when it matters, they aren't a great team.

NO had every opportunity to face the Giants, but they lost their game to the 49ers so they lost that opportunity. It's not the Giants fault that Alex Smith had the game of his life against NO. It's not their fault that the 49ers made some big mistakes because either they lost their fundamentals on the big stage.

They beat 2 of the best teams in the NFL on the road. That's no give me and it's incredibly disrespectful for you to say the Giants were gifted 2 wins and don't belong in the Superbowl. The only qualifier of "belonging" in the Superbowl is winning... You don't get style points.

Stop refusing to give the Giants their credit. They made the plays and aren't making bone head plays because they handle the pressure. Green Bay didn't play a single 'big' game all season and they clearly didn't have the mentality you need to be a great team. Yes, I'm saying the AREN'T a great team because they can't win when it matters. It doesn't matter that they won 15 games, they can't win when it matters, they aren't a great team.

NO had every opportunity to face the Giants, but they lost their game to the 49ers so they lost that opportunity. It's not the Giants fault that Alex Smith had the game of his life against NO. It's not their fault that the 49ers made some big mistakes because either they lost their fundamentals on the big stage.

They beat 2 of the best teams in the NFL on the road. That's no give me and it's incredibly disrespectful for you to say the Giants were gifted 2 wins and don't belong in the Superbowl. The only qualifier of "belonging" in the Superbowl is winning... You don't get style points.

I couldn't disagree more with everything you just said. Yes the freaking Giants made boneheaded plays. Too many of them. The other teams just made more. And that's how they won, really.

And the other comment about GB is laughable:

GB Packers are 5-1 against NFC playoff teams, 1-0 against AFC teams.
49ers are 4-1 against NFC playoff teams, 1-1 against AFC teams
Saints are 5-2 against NFC playoff teams, 1-1 against AFC teams
Giants are 3-3 against NFC playoff teams, 1-0 against AFC teams

These teams faced just as many BIG games than the Giants and the Saints faced 2 more actually and demolished the Giants. And I think it's funny that you say GB can't do it when it matters considering this is pretty much the same team that won the Super Bowl last year, in the same manner as the Giants are doing it this year, and were on par to have a perfect season.

You know this is the same ******ed logic that people use to justify their lack of appreciation and respect for what winning teams like the Patriots do. Just because some freaking average team, who btw, has all the talent in the world, all of a sudden starts playing like an elite team, they should get this sick amount of credit like they are doing something special.

They won because two teams that are otherwise known to play very efficient, mistake-free football, played like crap. And you know what? That may be considered good enough to make it to the Super Bowl according to this playoff system, but that's not enough for me to give them credit.

Let me see them beat GB, 49ers, or the Patriots coming up when these teams are playing their best football, not their worst. Even the worst team in the NFL can beat the #1 team in the NFL playing at its worst. That's not deserving of credit in my book.

Last edited:
I couldn't disagree more with everything you just said. Yes the freaking Giants made boneheaded plays. Too many of them. The other teams just made more. And that's how they won, really.

These teams faced just as many BIG games than the Giants and the Saints faced 2 more actually and demolished the Giants. And I think it's funny that you say GB can't do it when it matters considering this is pretty much the same team that won the Super Bowl last year, in the same manner as the Giants are doing it this year, and were on par to have a perfect season.

You know this is the same ******ed logic that people use to justify their lack of appreciation and respect for what winning teams like the Patriots do. Just because some freaking average team, who btw, has all the talent in the world, all of a sudden starts playing like an elite team, they should get this sick amount of credit like they are doing something special.

They won because two teams that are otherwise known to play very efficient, mistake-free football, played like crap. And you know what? That may be considered good enough to make it to the Super Bowl according to this playoff system, but that's not enough for me to give them credit.

Let me see them beat GB, 49ers, or the Patriots coming up when these teams are playing their best football, not their worst. Even the worst team in the NFL can beat the #1 team in the NFL playing at its worst. That's not deserving of credit in my book.

The Bills were the best team in the NFL through the first couple weeks of the season... What matters is how you play NOW. Why can't you understand that? Good teams and seemingly unstoppable teams do lose sometimes in the playoffs, even in bigger structures.

Just look at the 2001 Seattle Mariners. Won a record shattering 116 regular season games and looked unstoppable and they barely beat the Indians in the first round (3 games to 2) before getting destroyed by the Yankees in the Championship series, losing just 4 games to 1 in a best of 7. The point of the playoffs is to play the best THEN. Otherwise, just award the team with the best record the champion and skip the playoffs...

The Bills were the best team in the NFL through the first couple weeks of the season... What matters is how you play NOW. Why can't you understand that? Good teams and seemingly unstoppable teams do lose sometimes in the playoffs, even in bigger structures.

Just look at the 2001 Seattle Mariners. Won a record shattering 116 regular season games and looked unstoppable and they barely beat the Indians in the first round (3 games to 2) before getting destroyed by the Yankees in the Championship series, losing just 4 games to 1 in a best of 7. The point of the playoffs is to play the best THEN. Otherwise, just award the team with the best record the champion and skip the playoffs...

I understand that, but I also feel pretty confident that if both GB or the 49ers, and certainly the Saints played them again in the playoffs they would have won. The 49ers played great a week before. I don't think either one of those teams started playing worse later in the season. The 49ers and the Saints both played one hell of a game the week before. 49ers were actually still improving and even during that game they dealt with one too many questionable calls.

So I understand what you are saying but that would make sense if you actually believed these teams turned to crap all of a sudden. I personally don't think they did. I think they had one bad day and I believe a round-robin style playoff format would show that. I really think just one player on the 49ers team was the difference maker, their punt returner and 2 fumbles, mainly because of the rain, but that's besides the point. And that's despite all of the other things.

I certainly don't expect the 49ers defense to start knocking each other unconscious come week 1 in 2012, nor do I expect Rodgers to all of a sudden turn into an inconsistent turn over machine and all those receivers just start dropping passes left and right every game.

I fully do expect the Giants to do just that though and continue their streak of mediocrity and inconsistency and never actually solidifying themselves as the top team in their division, win or lose, this super bowl.

Actually I expect it to happen sooner. It already did against the 49ers but it will likely happen again next week.

I really don't get the whole argument you are trying to espouse PatriotSeven. I don't know why, but I read through a lot of this thread, and I just fail to see any consistency in your thought and logic. They play the games on Sunday for a reason.

I mean, If the Pats win, regardless of score, I know you are going to say "I told you all so! Giants are the absolute worst team ever to play in the Super Bowl."

But what are you going to say if the Giants win? That "they got lucky for four games in a row and beat VASTLY superior opponents along the way, including BB (who I believe is the best fb coach of all time) and Tom Brady (a top 5 all-time QB)?"

Well this has established one thing PatriotSeven, you're definitely in the minority when it comes to the NFL and playoffs.

I'm new here, and I definitely appreciate the mature, intelligent discussion on this forum. You guys are among the best and classiest fans in the NFL. We have to deal with Cowboys and Eagles fans yearly, so when we see your fans you guys are aeons ahead of those other two fanbases.

Since I'm new, I'm trying to be nice to PatriotsSeven, but in all reality, his opinion is in the minority because it is in fact, objectively, wrong. The NFL playoffs, as many others have noted, are perfect as is. Even coaches and players understand, accept, and extol the nature of the one and done, and the excitement of each game of the playoffs. You don't ever ring in any games, and don't ever underestimate opponents.

I don't like how vocal some Giants fans and players have been. It makes me nervous when our players and fans are arrogant. We don't want to forget we are playing against BB (smartest, best coach of all time).

I think this game is more or less a coin flip. It's going to come down to the wire, and it's going to be awesome.

I think you should go back to trying to convince everyone that Tim Tebow is a Top Ten player in the NFL. Your starting to repeat your rationalizations.

Last edited:
Sure, soccer has produced 'the top teams competing at the highest level' (if that's even true, I'll just accept that as a given for your sake, Seven).

Americans also don't give a flying youknowwhat about soccer. And THAT'S been proven.

And that's fine, they might have. But there is one team that absolutely murdered them they didn't get a chance to face. The Saints. And it doesn't mean GB or 49ers can't win 2 games too.

That's exactly why we don't actually really know, do we? That's exactly my point. There is no possible way you can make a logical argument that the Giants proved they are the best team in the NFC and better than the Saints, because they won a 3 point game over a poor playing 49ers.

This is team A beat team B and team C beat team A so team C is better than team B. It doesn't fly. This flawed logic doesn't work in the regular season, and it certainly doesn't work for me in the playoffs either.

Let them all play each other.
Of course you can, because the best team = the team that makes the playoffs and wins the games that are single elimination. That is the Giants.

I think you should go back to trying to convince everyone that Tim Tebow is a Top Ten player in the NFL. Your starting to repeat your rationalizations.

Tebow is accurate
The Patriots were the 2nd best defense in the NFL during the regular season
Championships don't matter

Tebow is accurate

Glad you came around finally. Except for that last part.

For the third time since 2007, 3 pretty average teams have found their way into the Super Bowl, with the Giants now twice and Arizona Cardinals a few years back. I don't have a problem with the Giants doing exactly what every other NFL team should be doing as a football team, which is fight tooth and nail to make their way into the Super Bowl when they get that opportunity. That part doesn't bother me and they should be commended for it

The part that does bother me about this whole deal is that this playoffs system cheats fans, football teams and other players out of seeing the best teams teams at the end and with a shot at the Super Bowl. This is a perfect example of where yes, the Giants were the better team on that day when they played the 49ers and Green Bay. ...
Everyone got that? Is everyone clear why the Giants belong? Ok good! Then will you please explain it to me so I understand? :)

I think the first thing you have to do is define your terms. Is the NFL Championship a Cyber Bowl or a Super Bowl?

Is the NFL Championship about identifying the best team by pitting the two top teams (as measured by Regular Season Wins and Stats) against each other or is it about identifying the team that can come through a rigorous 16 game schedule so that it is able to play its best in December and can prevail against all comers over a five week period in January and early February?

If you are defining the purpose of the League Championship game as the former, then you are right. Pass Go. Get your $200, buy up Boardwalk and Park Place and cram them with hotels. You are the winnah!

But that's not how it works in the NFL, for better or worse (personally, I think, for better).

The NFL has devised a system that identifies the toughest, most well-coached and, here is a very important point, deepest and hungriest and guttiest teams in the league. Not the best teams as measured by output, but the best teams as measured by their ability to keep getting it done over and over against the worst odds and, sometimes, that can take advantage of a lucky break or two...see Tucks and Velcro helmets and Wide Rights and Wide Lefts...

There's really no possibility for a middle ground in the reality of the league (you could shorten the Regular Season to a 12 week season and then have a prolonged best of three playoff process among a bunch of teams, but even then you would have BCS type debates over whether the right teams were even playing, but, most importantly, that's not going to happen in a League dedicated to maintaining 32 franchises).

If the NFL championship was about the two teams with the optimal combination of W/L records and stats going up against each other, we could do away with divisions and conferences and let a computer program identify those two teams and then either let them play a game on the field or, more logically in that context, let them play a million simulated games via computer to determine the winner.

My guess is that this year that probably would have pitted Green Bay and New Orleans against each other. My money would have been on Green Bay in the Cyber Bowl.

So, Super Bowl or Cyber Bowl? That is the question.

The NFL plays a Super Bowl.

Maybe it should be a Cyber Bowl. In which case, the Pats would surely not have been at the top of the computer program in 2001/02, but probably would have come out fine in 2003/04 and 2004/05 and would have won that silly game that was actually played on a field in 2008.

Last edited:
I love how because I'm not pleased with the current playoff format it must mean I don't understand football and I'm a frustrated soccernut. I think they have the most common playoff format that's been proven to constantly produce the top teams competing at the highest level.

What exactly is so great about not being able to see the best competition facing each other decisively at the end of a season? Sometimes the easiest road to the Super Bowl is simply by avoiding the best teams in your path because of seeding that may not always dictate the best teams.

You got one thing right. The playoffs are final. But they are NOT decisive.

And maybe you don't like tie breakers but we actually do already have them in place for making the playoffs, as it is. They were used this year for the Broncos for example. It's sure as hell better than trying to convince me the Giants are better than the Saints even though the Saints blew them out the only time they faced each other.

The analogy to soccer (or what the rest of the world calls "Football") truly limps. First of all, the championship is played once every four years with many months of eliminations leading up to the finals. Secondly, the physical demands of the sport allow for teams to be able reasonably to play games every three or four days if they have to do so. Finally, if I look back over the last 20 or so years of that championship, I think you can say that the four best teams usually made it to the semifinals (with some exceptions), but I hardly think you can argue that the outcome would have been the same had those games been "best of three." And, given the rampant corruption within FIFA, I think that someone who called the entire process into question would not be out of line...but that's a discussion for another day. But one word. Qatar?!?!

I responded to your other point in my longer post. You are defining "best competition" in terms different than those on which the NFL playoffs are predicated. The NFL is not about finesse and records and pristine statistics. American Football is not a "beautiful game," rather it is gritty and dangerous and downright nasty and ugly at times. The Super Bowl identifies the teams that fight through to the end in that sport, not in soccer.

"Whether or not you get to fight at full strength, whether or not luck smiles on you--none of that matters. Only results matter. And a loss is a loss. Victory shines like a bright light."

The battle isn't always fair, the most talented, hardest working, scrappiest, best prepared, most disciplined, hungriest, most mentally tough team can lose by injury, a bad bounce, or a bad call. In the end though, there is only victory or defeat, and only victory shines. So no, I don't feel cheated. The team that shines at the end of the year isn't the best team, or the team that would win most often, but the team that did win.

Personally, I think that's a lot more exciting than Goliath winning every year.

Tebow is accurate
Tebow has a quick release (when using a sun dial)
Hes big and has a strong arm
Hes got a strong arm and hes big

Patsfan74, I read both of your posts and will respond to both of them here. You make a lot of good points and you are right. I am defining who is the best in different terms than what the playoffs are telling us the best teams are. I mean that was my whole point. I don't agree that we're always getting the best teams even in the Championship games, let alone the Super Bowl.

But I think you are a bit confused still in what I am asking judging by your comments of computer systems and W/L records. I wouldn't agree that just because the Patriots or GB have the best records that they are the best teams. That's silly too. There are plenty of weak divisions in the NFL which can create artificial #1 records. Which is the entire point of a round-robin style playoff system. A round-robin playoff structure doesn't care about your W/L record. In fact it cares less about that because regardless of your "seed" you still have to face all of the other champions. Something that's not currently taking place. So it doesn't care that you go 16-0, if you can't also pass through all 3 champions and come out with one of the two best playoff records to advance to the Championship game. A playoff record wouldn't just be something used for records comparisons, but it would actually be something meaningful and of value each and every year. You have to beat the best, and go through the best, to be the best.

Currently, at the end of a regular season we do assign the #1-6 teams in the playoffs by seeds as if they really were the best teams going into the playoffs. It is in fact, currently, more like the BCS games, and it does in fact favor the #1 seed. Just not the best team. What round-robin would do, is re-arrange them before the Championship game to make sure they really are the real #1 and #2 teams in their respective conferences. So in other words, just because GB finished 15-1 and Pats 13-3, it wouldn't mean they would have an easier time if they really, truly were not as good as their records suggest. Round-robin actually weeds out the "artificial" #1 seeds which, though a rare occurrence, might not really be as good as a wild card team, though they would benefit from that schedule.

But it also weeds out the inconsistent and "opportunistic" teams that find their way in the playoffs that thrive on...luck and an opportunistic win or perhaps an ideal combination of opponents. A team that might never actually even need to face a #1 or even a #2 team, not because of something they did, but because of something some other team accomplished. Currently, someone else can take out the best teams so you don't even have to worry about them. This year, the 49ers played a great game to take out the one team the Giants never even got close to beating, the Saints.

A hypothetical example of the issue with the current playoff format:
Assume for a second the best team in a conference is actually the #3 seed. If a #6 seed somehow manages to take down the best team(seed #3) in the wildcard round by chance or luck, then not only is the best team gone, but all the other teams have less to worry about. They made it easier for everyone else while not really improving their own chances. They weakened the entire playoff competition while their task remains just as hard.

In addition it makes it very easy for the #1 seed, who might not even be the second best team, to end up in the Championship game and the Super bowl. The #1 seed would still get to face that weak #6 team in the divisional round while the better teams are knocking each other silly trying to get into the NFC Championship. They never get tested and they also get to stay nice and healthy and face middle of the road competition all the way to the Super Bowl. Check the Giants injury report versus the Patriots injury report and see if there's any kind of logic behind the argument that more games would result in more injuries. It's not the number of games that cause injuries, it's the toughest games, that produce the most injuries.

A round robin also "protects" that overachieving #6 seed from getting beat up by a #1 seed and getting knocked out because they would register one of the 2 or 3 W's they would need to advance. But that "best team", seed #3, would still be left in the tournament and all the other teams would still have to get through them if they want to advance. Likewise, if they were as good as their record suggest they would also get another chance to continue and redeem themselves. Right now if the best teams happens to be the #3 or #4 spot, and the second best team is the #5 or #6 seed, then there's a good chance the best teams will not reach the super bowl.

Currently, the seeding systems give opportunities and chances to mediocre teams who don't perform well in the regular season by allowing wild cards to advance. However, it doesn't extend this level of generosity to teams who win consistently every single week, not just in the playoffs, and completely dismisses their hard work, accomplishments, and everything they put into season if they simply happen to get sucker punched in the playoffs in one game. No do-over for them. No second chances. In fact if you're already really good, you basically need to be perfect the entire season to make the Super Bowl, something the Patriots already know. Mediocre teams, don't have to worry about the first part.

A round robin style playoff format, while not perfect either, doesn't benefit the team with the best winning record, it doesn't benefit the team with the worst winning record. It benefits the true best teams by forcing all teams to take the same road to get to the Championship. It's purpose is to spit out the two best teams, indifferent of their W/L records or seeding going into the playoffs and almost completely eliminate chance and bad teams from getting through. Right now, not all teams race the same race. Some get shortcuts reserved only for them by sheer seed placement or pre-determined schedule. So basically it tests all teams against the same standard. Once you get out of this phase, chance, luck, and opportunity is right back in the game for the major Championships. So if the Giants were that team, they'd have nothing to worry about.

The NFL originally did in fact start off with a playoff system that more frequently produced the top 4 teams in the Championship games. When they had 3 divisions in each conference, there were still only 8 teams in the playoffs, 4 in each conference, and it wasn't yet necessary to add a round-robin playoff structure because you almost always ended up with the best 4 teams in the playoffs. And that's what you want. But as more teams joined the league, and more teams needed money to survive and stay in business the playoff format was slightly adjusted to create more playoff spots, in the form of wild card teams, but chose NOT to restructure the playoff format. They let it be decided by seeds and single elimination. The main motive behind it, was not competition. It was certainly not player safety(teams could care less about NFL players getting hurt up until about the late 80's). And it was none of the things you want to believe. It was money! So I disagree with the statement that what I am asking for is a Cyber Bowl, but rather, getting rid of the "Money Bowl", and bring back the real Super Bowl.

And as far as this part goes:

The NFL has devised a system that identifies the toughest, most well-coached and, here is a very important point, deepest and hungriest and guttiest teams in the league. Not the best teams as measured by output, but the best teams as measured by their ability to keep getting it done over and over against the worst odds and, sometimes, that can take advantage of a lucky break or two...see Tucks and Velcro helmets and Wide Rights and Wide Lefts...

You've just described the New England Patriots over the past 10 years. The Giants simply don't fit into that description. And the only way the Giants would have the worst odds, is if they really had to go through the best playing teams in the playoffs this year. And that can easily be debated. They simply went through the best "seeds", nothing more. And if you have such a big issue with regular season winning records, then how can you sit there and repeatedly state they beat the best teams? The best teams according to what? The regular season records so many are eager to discount as being unimportant? That's an obvious two sided argument. People either need to make up their minds or come to the conclusion, like I have come to the conclusion, that we will never know. And that's just a shame.

But they do certainly fit the second portion of that, or more correctly this definition:
op·por·tun·is·tic/ˌäpərt(y)o͞oˈnistik/
Adjective:
Exploiting chances offered by immediate circumstances without reference to moral principle.
(of a plant or animal) Able to spread quickly in a previously unexploited habitat.

They certainly have gotten very good at figuring out how to be very opportunistic and take advantages of the NFL playoff structure. Twice in 5 years. And they should be credited for it because they have gotten even better at it, no longer needing a double digit winning record, but can now end up in the Super Bowl with only 9 regular season wins. Perhaps next year, they can do it with 6 because apparently now that Tim Tebow's here, who can almost do it with 8, playing only 11 games a season, they have some serious competition:D

But that's not going to earn them my credit though for being the best team.

PS: Round-robin also doesn't eliminate or assure Goliath wins every year. The perceived underachiever and underdog still has the same chances to succeed or come through. In fact, probably even more.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back