PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do any other fans feel cheated by the playoffs and this Giants rematch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
But I didn't ORIGINATE this argument. It is the OP who is saying the Giants don't belong because they went 9-7 and lost to the Redskins and yadda yadda yadda. The point I'm making is if you're going to ***** and moan the Giants this, the Giants that, why don't you take a look at your own team and realize the Pats really didn't accomplish anything in the regular season and LOST to the team you're saying doesn't belong in the playoffs. If you can't beat THAT team, then what justifies the Patriots competing? It doesn't make sense, it's a circular argument.

And I agree wholeheartedly. Giants took care of their business (the Saints, 49ers, and Packers DID NOT) and the Pats took care of theirs. May the best team win Sunday. Regular season doesn't mean ****all right now.

But your team beat us by 3 points when we committed 4 turnovers. We didn't get trashed by anyone. I mean I can feel pretty ok about getting beat by the Giants by 3 points. I mean I also saw the Rams beat the Saints and the Chiefs beat Green Bay. So clearly any team can get beat, obviously, including the Perfect Patriots by the Giants. That settled that argument. It sure as hell didn't convince anyone the Giants were a more amazing football team.

But I didn't see the Patriots get swept by any one opponent and abused mercilessly by the Washington Redskins and a bunch of other teams, like the Saints. Ugly...

Clearly....but only because you constantly repeat, believe and rely on even more inaccurate measurements, in a different context(per game) to draw your propositions.
OK, you made that up. Where did I do anything like that?

When you finally get past Disney football stats, let me know.
Where did I rely on stats?
You are so brainwashed and have been so trained and mechanized to believe what you do that you continue to rely on the most inaccurate of measurements and can't let go despite constantly going against the actual REAL LIFE RESULTS of the NE Patriots defense.
I am basing everything on the real results. You are using a statistic that lacks meaning, solely because it makes the defense look better.

It doesn't matter to you that they have allowed less points than the 17 defenses they have faced. You're still stuck on the idea they have a bad defense because the rankings yards per game, and points per game says so.
Where did I say that? I am one of the biggest supporters of the Patriots defense. I created a very controversial thread that CREDITED them based on playing well enough to win rather than looking at stats.
Just because I am the one pointing out you are misusing a foolish stat doesn't mean I made every argument you want to make up and disagree with.
Your ignorance and paranoia is shining through here.

When you finally understand that yards per point is a measurement and a ratio of the exact two stats used in the sentence you keep stating over and over and over let me know.
Everyone understands what it measures.
Only you severely overexaggerate its meaning.

Nee help? What does allowing 2nd most yards and 15th most points actually mean in one number? Well in 2011 that's the 2nd most efficient defense in the NFL. That's what those two numbers amount to. But you just can't possibly wrap your head around that, and there is nothing I can do to help you.
That is not EFFICIENT. It is dividing 2 numbers and making up a meaning for them.

Maybe if I try to explain to you that those numbers you keep pointing to completely strips out special teams, it measures team on a game by game basis(heavily dependent on opponent) and leave out a defense's ability from creating turnovers.
What number do I keep pointing to?

Maybe if I tried to explain that in reality the difference in yards between the NY Giants defense and Patriots defense is 1 freaking yard per drive and the difference between the best defense in the NFL and the worst defense in the NFL is roughly 10 yards per drive.
So? what is your point?

Maybe then you would understand how ******ed it is to use rankings where the difference of 1 yard can place a defense 10 spots away from one another.
That is not true, and I have never supported using yards.

But something tells me I'm getting my hopes up and you're going to continue to wrongly belittle and misunderstand people that just may know a little bit more about football than you simply for the fact you are out of the loop of what's being discussed.

OK. So your only bullets left are to say I am arguing something I never argued, and then throw insults?

I tried hard to get through to you, because you seem to be working really hard to have a football discussion, but if you want to be an ignorant prick the I'll join the many others who want nothing to do with you.

I'll return to this thread on Sunday when Eli is hoisting the trophy, and we'll see how you feel.

I hate to break it to you but they don't give a trophy to the loser.

Thought this thread would have been practice squaded days ago...

OK, you made that up. Where did I do anything like that?

Where did I rely on stats?

I am basing everything on the real results. You are using a statistic that lacks meaning, solely because it makes the defense look better.

Where did I say that? I am one of the biggest supporters of the Patriots defense. I created a very controversial thread that CREDITED them based on playing well enough to win rather than looking at stats.
Just because I am the one pointing out you are misusing a foolish stat doesn't mean I made every argument you want to make up and disagree with.
Your ignorance and paranoia is shining through here.

Everyone understands what it measures.
Only you severely overexaggerate its meaning.

That is not EFFICIENT. It is dividing 2 numbers and making up a meaning for them.

What number do I keep pointing to?

So? what is your point?

That is not true, and I have never supported using yards.

OK. So your only bullets left are to say I am arguing something I never argued, and then throw insults?

I tried hard to get through to you, because you seem to be working really hard to have a football discussion, but if you want to be an ignorant prick the I'll join the many others who want nothing to do with you.

1. In the reply I quoted where you tried to use points per game and yards per game to try to discount the fact that yards per point doesn't show what those numbers do. It's not supposed to. It's a completely different measurement. That's the entire idea.

It's kind of like this:
yards per game + points per game + turnovers + special teams = yards per point.

You can't freaking use sub stats of the combined stat to try and override it. The sum of the parts is greater and more important than the individual parts. Your logic is broken.

2. Obviously you don't understand what it measures because yards per point is the very definition of efficiency as far as football goes. It's an efficiency stat. It's also referred to as execution or scoring ability. Net yard per point is your team's ability to outscore.

Here: Read about it from other "authoritative" sources you may find more to your tastes: Jim Harbaugh's excellent coaching has the 49ers a surprising 5-1 - Kerry J. Byrne - SI.com
It's the same reason the 49ers defense was as good as they were: their yards per point efficiency.

3. You don't support anything, except your own personal judgement without ever offering an alternative. You keep saying this measurement sucks, but you don't present anything better.

I created a very controversial thread that CREDITED them based on playing well enough to win rather than looking at stats.

Some of us are aware of that same thing, and your statement and argument can be represented and easily displayed by a statistical number. It's called: yards per point.

What you just said, is what yards per point measures. Understand? It actually allows us to see which team is better at "playing well enough to win" the most games.

Last edited:
The reason the OP has such a fundamentally flawed perspective on who the "best" teams are, is because he clearly doesn't understand that Fantasy FootBall teams rarely win Championships.

For 90 years, the fields've been littered with Madden All Star Teams that withered and died as soon as the weather turned cold...and met their fates at the merciless, unforgiving hands of tough, physical teams that beat the crap out of the Glamor Boys and won The Battle of the Trenches.

~ The 2011 Packers and Saints were built to make the PlayOffs.

~ The 2011 Patriots and Giants were built to win the PlayOffs.

So leaving yourself dangerously thin (in bodies and talent) at the Safety position is a way to win the Playoffs?

Signing dead-weight like Ocho, Hanyesworth and (I'm sorry but is he really worth a roster spot?) Kevin Faulk is a way to build your team for post-season success?

Yeah, no. The Pats weren't "built" (and by that I mean their off-season moves) to win in the playoffs.

Last edited:
1. In the reply I quoted where you tried to use points per game and yards per game to try to discount the fact that yards per point doesn't show what those numbers do. It's not supposed to. It's a completely different measurement. That's the entire idea.

It's kind of like this:
yards per game + points per game + turnovers + special teams = yards per point.

You can't freaking use sub stats of the combined stat to try and override it. The sum of the parts is greater and more important than the individual parts. Your logic is broken.

2. Obviously you don't understand what it measures because yards per point is the very definition of efficiency as far as football goes. It's an efficiency stat. It's also referred to as execution or scoring ability. Net yard per point is your team's ability to outscore.

Here: Read about it from other "authoritative" sources you may find more to your tastes: Jim Harbaugh's excellent coaching has the 49ers a surprising 5-1 - Kerry J. Byrne - SI.com
It's the same reason the 49ers defense was as good as they were: their yards per point efficiency.

3. You don't support anything, except your own personal judgement without ever offering an alternative. You keep saying this measurement sucks, but you don't present anything better.

Some of us are aware of that same thing, and your statement and argument can be represented and easily displayed by a statistical number. It's called: yards per point.

What you just said, is what yards per point measures. Understand? It actually allows us to see which team is better at "playing well enough to win" the most games.
As I have said, you are using that stat to represent something it does not.
Here is an example.

Game is tied 21 to 21 and each team has allowed 210 yards.
Team A has the ball and goes 3 and out. Team B has allowed 210 yards and 21 points, 10 points per yard.

Team B drives 80 yards for a game winning TD and now has 290 yards and 28 points. That is 10.3 yards per point.

By your argument Team A has a better defense because it allowed less points per yard.

Its the same with the Patriots. If they allowed 75% of the yards they did, and also 75% of the points they did, they would have been a much better defense, but you are using a statistic that would call them equal.

Bad defesnive plays give up yards and points. Your statistic calls a team that gives up ADDITIONAL YARDS AND POINTS better if it does it in a different ratio.

Another example. 10 drives each on defense.
On 8 of them the teams have identical stats.
Say 210 yards and 21 points.
On the other 2, one team gets 3 and outs with no yards and the other allows 2 TD drives of 90 yards each.
They now have allowed 390 yards and 35 points.
They are a better defense in your statistic because they allowed more yards per point.

Do you see now how these stats divided by each other are not meaningful?

The reason the OP has such a fundamentally flawed perspective on who the "best" teams are, is because he clearly doesn't understand that Fantasy FootBall teams rarely win Championships.

For 90 years, the fields've been littered with Madden All Star Teams that withered and died as soon as the weather turned cold...and met their fates at the merciless, unforgiving hands of tough, physical teams that beat the crap out of the Glamor Boys and won The Battle of the Trenches.

~ The 2011 Packers and Saints were built to make the PlayOffs.

And it's clear to me you can't tell the difference between someone talking about the difference between a single elimination and a round-robin playoff format.

Trying to equate the round-robin playoff format which has been proven repeatedly to test the best teams to fantasy football is just plain ridiculous.

This is that same old mentality, if it's different than what it is, it must suck.

Last edited:
As I have said, you are using that stat to represent something it does not.
Here is an example.

Game is tied 21 to 21 and each team has allowed 210 yards.
Team A has the ball and goes 3 and out. Team B has allowed 210 yards and 21 points, 10 points per yard.

Team B drives 80 yards for a game winning TD and now has 290 yards and 28 points. That is 10.3 yards per point.

By your argument Team A has a better defense because it allowed less points per yard.

Its the same with the Patriots. If they allowed 75% of the yards they did, and also 75% of the points they did, they would have been a much better defense, but you are using a statistic that would call them equal.

Bad defesnive plays give up yards and points. Your statistic calls a team that gives up ADDITIONAL YARDS AND POINTS better if it does it in a different ratio.

Another example. 10 drives each on defense.
On 8 of them the teams have identical stats.
Say 210 yards and 21 points.
On the other 2, one team gets 3 and outs with no yards and the other allows 2 TD drives of 90 yards each.
They now have allowed 390 yards and 35 points.
They are a better defense in your statistic because they allowed more yards per point.

Do you see now how these stats divided by each other are not meaningful?

First let me just say that I would really appreciate it if we discuss defense or yards per point in any of the other defense threads if you wish. I feel obligated to respond to you, but honestly, it's off topic and considering Giants fans love it so much I wouldn't want to disappoint them by not discussing the original point.

Having said that, congratulations you found the minor flaws of it. 3 and outs. Which is why you should also use it in conjunction with offensive efficiency and turnovers, because believe it or not, almost all major NFL measurements are offensive measurements, including yards.

Having said that, let's take a quick look at the big picture because that's what you're supposed to use it for. It measured everything accurately up until the final 1 minute or so of the game when the team with the ball scored last, and the other team was unable to do the same because the game ended? Right? So for 59 minutes it correctly measured that both defenses were neck in neck, and because of the fact the game ended after their last drive it was no longer able to accurately measure what took place in the final minute.

Does yards measure correctly that those teams were basically neck in neck for 59 minutes of the football game? Does points? No....it sees one team as far superior doesn't it? So does winning. All because of 1 minute of football.

This is one of the reasons why no one ever looks at it on a "per game", "per minute" or "per drive" basis but as a season stat or multi-game stat and it does such a great job of matching up reality of most teams. It's not meant to be used to do what you are doing. Teams are also measured by what took place in the other 59 minutes of the game, for the entire season because typically what you do in the full 60 minutes matters. You don't use it as a yard per point per drive. You don't use it as a yard per point per game. But rather as simply yards per point.

If you want to use it in that manner then apply it to every drive of every team of every minute and see how many it gets correct vs how many it gets wrong. No one particular situational example you can think of. The more important thing that it would measure in your example is that both defenses sucked. 10.0-10.3 is pretty insignificant when it's all said and done. But it does say both offenses were able to score efficiently against those defenses. Given an extra minute we will never know what would have happened in your example.

You know when I said earlier that any stat can be shown to have flaws? This one is no different. However, and I re-iterate, despite its flaws, it's still the best stat when it comes to measuring overall excecution, efficiency, scoring ability and winning.

If it was perfect it would match up 100% of the time. Since it's not, it does it about 90% of the time. Which is still better than anything else you can possibly come out with that correlates better to winning. It's better than any of the other stats that are thrown around. It's the stat that matches up best with reality.

But yes, every once in awhile, you will have a team who came out looking efficient in scoring, and still lose the game. Precisely because of one play or one final drive. It does happen. Nobody said it was perfect. Just that it ultimately correlates better to winning than any other stat in football. Your example is the equivalent of measuring gravity on top of Mt. St. Helen and saying the speed of gravity isn't 9.8 m/s because it's slightly different than when measured on the ground.

Your examples of the specific events that it doesn't always measure correctly doesn't come close to the entire body of work that it does measure correctly. So just because you can find something wrong with it, if you try hard enough, it still doesn't change the fact that it correlates best to winning. It's also far more reliable than your eyes, and your personal perception or interpretation of what it means to be a "good enough team to win". Or mine. It doesn't make it a terrible measurement because you can find flaws in it.

Compared to everything else available it has the least flaws.

Now can we please get back on topic in this tread or continue this discussion in any of the other threads it was brought up?

Last edited:
And it's clear to me you can't tell the difference between someone talking about the difference between a single elimination and a round-robin playoff format.

Trying to equate the round-robin playoff format which has been proven repeatedly to test the best teams to fantasy football is just plain ridiculous.

This is that same old mentality, if it's different than what it is, it must suck.

The regular season is the "round robin"...6 teams per conference qualify for the single-elimination tournament.

I think I have made plenty of great points backed up by a lot of facts, logical points and history and yet most of the replies, like those on the previous page are simple one liners that don't really care to debate the issue but rather refuse to even accept the proposition.

It's kind of like along the same lines of accepting the Patriots defense is the #2 in the NFL because you are beyond brainwashed to realize defenses should never be judged by yards in the first place.

And yet you can't let go despite much better evidence that says otherwise once a certain image and perception is in place that the majority agrees on. You can't possibly accept they might have it wrong in the first place due to the implications that would rise up as a result of rocking the boat a little. It's just a little too scary to look into, isn't it?

I always enjoy when people think that everyone's dismissing them because they're too right for everyone else to handle, and not because the point that they're trying to make is completely asinine. It's pretty much the pinnacle of arrogance. You're not rocking the boat; you're just aggressively wrong and being a clown about it.

Last edited:
I always enjoy when people think that everyone's dismissing them because they're too right for everyone else to handle, and not because the point that they're trying to make is completely asinine. It's pretty much the pinnacle of arrogance. You're not rocking the boat; you're just aggressively wrong and being a clown about it.

You mean I'm aggressively wrong because of a bunch of other people:

"dismissing them because they're too right for everyone else to handle"

?

All I hear is:

"It's wrong because if it was right it wouldn't be the way it is.

or

"He's asking for the BCS, computer picks, or some other misinterpretation".

Which is in fact asinine, considering I said nothing of the sort. Not one factual argument against it except from a couple of guys earlier in the thread that understood and seemed to be ok with the idea. The only thing I hear is how wrong it is....because it's just wrong, asinine, crazy, idiotic.

So please explain to me, what exactly is so wrong about a round-robin tournament that would most definitely determine who the true best divisional champion is before heading into the Championship game? What's wrong with testing these teams better, so we can find out who deserves to be in the Championship?

It would eliminate...luck? Fluke wins? What is the argument against it? I have yet to hear something definitive and solid.

So please explain to me, what exactly is so wrong about a round-robin tournament that would most definitely determine who the true best divisional champion is before heading into the Championship game? What's wrong with testing these teams better, so we can find out who deserves to be in the Championship?

It would eliminate...luck? Fluke wins? What is the argument against it?

If you can't beat the NY Giants at Lambeau in January, go play golf.

CatAndMirror.jpg

Anyone else get the feeling that PatriotSeven views him/herself like this in the mirror?

You mean I'm aggressively wrong because of a bunch of other people:

"dismissing them because they're too right for everyone else to handle"

?

All I hear is:

"It's wrong because if it was right it wouldn't be the way it is.

or

"He's asking for the BCS, computer picks, or some other misinterpretation".

Which is in fact asinine, considering I said nothing of the sort. Not one factual argument against it except from a couple of guys earlier in the thread that understood and seemed to be ok with the idea. The only thing I hear is how wrong it is....because it's just wrong, asinine, crazy, idiotic.

It would eliminate...luck? Fluke wins? What is the argument against it? I have yet to hear something definitive and solid.

It's called "the regular season"...

First let me just say that I would really appreciate it if we discuss defense or yards per point in any of the other defense threads if you wish. I feel obligated to respond to you, but honestly, it's off topic and considering Giants fans love it so much I wouldn't want to disappoint them by not discussing the original point.

Having said that, congratulations you found the minor flaws of it. 3 and outs. Which is why you should also use it in conjunction with offensive efficiency and turnovers, because believe it or not, almost all major NFL measurements are offensive measurements, including yards.

Having said that, let's take a quick look at the big picture because that's what you're supposed to use it for. It measured everything accurately up until the final 1 minute or so of the game when the team with the ball scored last, and the other team was unable to do the same because the game ended? Right? So for 59 minutes it correctly measured that both defenses were neck in neck, and because of the fact the game ended after their last drive it was no longer able to accurately measure what took place in the final minute.

Does yards measure correctly that those teams were basically neck in neck for 59 minutes of the football game? Does points? No....it sees one team as far superior doesn't it? So does winning. All because of 1 minute of football.

This is one of the reasons why no one ever looks at it on a "per game", "per minute" or "per drive" basis but as a season stat or multi-game stat and it does such a great job of matching up reality of most teams. It's not meant to be used to do what you are doing. Teams are also measured by what took place in the other 59 minutes of the game, for the entire season because typically what you do in the full 60 minutes matters. You don't use it as a yard per point per drive. You don't use it as a yard per point per game. But rather as simply yards per point.

If you want to use it in that manner then apply it to every drive of every team of every minute and see how many it gets correct vs how many it gets wrong. No one particular situational example you can think of. The more important thing that it would measure in your example is that both defenses sucked. 10.0-10.3 is pretty insignificant when it's all said and done. But it does say both offenses were able to score efficiently against those defenses. Given an extra minute we will never know what would have happened in your example.

You know when I said earlier that any stat can be shown to have flaws? This one is no different. However, and I re-iterate, despite its flaws, it's still the best stat when it comes to measuring overall excecution, efficiency, scoring ability and winning.

If it was perfect it would match up 100% of the time. Since it's not, it does it about 90% of the time. Which is still better than anything else you can possibly come out with that correlates better to winning. It's better than any of the other stats that are thrown around. It's the stat that matches up best with reality.

But yes, every once in awhile, you will have a team who came out looking efficient in scoring, and still lose the game. Precisely because of one play or one final drive. It does happen. Nobody said it was perfect. Just that it ultimately correlates better to winning than any other stat in football. Your example is the equivalent of measuring gravity on top of Mt. St. Helen and saying the speed of gravity isn't 9.8 m/s because it's slightly different than when measured on the ground.

Your examples of the specific events that it doesn't always measure correctly doesn't come close to the entire body of work that it does measure correctly. So just because you can find something wrong with it, if you try hard enough, it still doesn't change the fact that it correlates best to winning. It's also far more reliable than your eyes, and your personal perception or interpretation of what it means to be a "good enough team to win". Or mine. It doesn't make it a terrible measurement because you can find flaws in it.

Compared to everything else available it has the least flaws.

Now can we please get back on topic in this tread or continue this discussion in any of the other threads it was brought up?

You have convinced me that your tremendous lack of understanding what you are talking about is only exceeded by your desire to make up 1000 word post that prove it.
I won't be responding any more.

If you can't beat the NY Giants at Lambeau in January, go play golf.

But the Giants can't even score 11 points on Washington in December in NJ! 11? Can't even beat them in Washington. So shouldn't they be skiing? What are they doing here? That's all I'm saying.

And what's with the bragging about winning away from home as if it was an accomplishment? If we shared a stadium with the Jets we wouldn't to play there either. No wonder the Giants play better on the road. Beats playing at home!

But really how does a team that wins only 9 regular games, gets demolished by Washington twice, ripped by the Seahawks, beat by GB in when GB is on its game, beat by the 49ers decisively in the regular season, trampled by the Saints....get to represent the NFC in the Super Bowl as the best of the NFC when they barely put up a FG to get past the 49ers when the 49ers decided to enter full ****** mode?

I mean if GB must be on its game every game in the playoffs in order to continue, are the Giants going to guarantee us that they are going to be on their game in the Super Bowl? Can they actually win a decisive victory? Or is it only if we lay down for them? Or maybe Mary is going to have to come through again?

I mean what's the game plan? "Boy I sure hope our fearsome D can hold the Patriots off on 5 offensive possessions until our "fearsome" wide receivers can get us in a position to score a FG? Scratch that.. "Hope the Patriots offense stumbles for 5 possessions and let us go to over time and then maybe their punt returner can give us the ball so we can score? "

And since the Giants don't really have a home, and it's on record according to the Manning brothers, they're playing at home are they going to blow the the damn Super Bowl as the "favorites" in front of their home fans...?

Come on, get real. Can't they at least admit they got lucky and aren't even the best team in the NFC? Why does everyone have to put on a front? There's no shame in getting lucky to make the Super Bowl. It's ok. You did it before. What's the big deal? Cardinals did it in 2008. Tebow....well Tebow beat the hell out of a top Steelers defense, but still....even Tebow was 8-8 and nearly made it....well then he ran into the Patriots. But that's beside the point.

What's there to be ashamed about? You caught GB on a bad day, pulled a fast one on them, let the 49ers take out the Saints for you, and then had a couple of whistles left and right while the 49ers were busy recovering from concussions and.....here you are. What's there not to be proud of? Champions!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye