PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ditka to dissolve assistance fund after critical report

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sadly, charities are one of the biggest scams going today in America. Tax exempt status, little government oversight and lax governance laws have created a system ripe for abuse. Tellingly, a charity that gives out only 60% of what it takes in is considered a "good" charity.

Often times the boards are paid out of charity funds, and are stocked with relatives and cronies of the management. Lack of transparency and conflicts of interests about. A CEO of a charity often makes a good 6 figure salary, and big ones have 7 figure salaries.

A great site to check out the particulars of your favorite charity is www.give.org. I've used it for years .... it's been my experience that if the charity doesn't have a report there, then there's a good chance that there is something fishy going on in that organization.

R

A lot of charities are a scam..........I once worked as a telemarketer for variouse police stations to put out drug awareness books for the school systems...once I found out how much of a cut the companies I was working for took out of the donations, I couldnt keep working for them.......we made it sound over the phone like the entire donation was going to the community and police,when in reality they were not even receiving one third of what the telemarketing company was taking in.......sure,we had expenses like phones,and a office rental,but nowhere near what we took in........:mad:

A lot of charities are a scam..........I once worked as a telemarketer for variouse police stations to put out drug awareness books for the school systems...once I found out how much of a cut the companies I was working for took out of the donations, I couldnt keep working for them.......we made it sound over the phone like the entire donation was going to the community and police,when in reality they were not even receiving one third of what the telemarketing company was taking in.......sure,we had expenses like phones,and a office rental,but nowhere near what we took in........:mad:

Just because one charity you worked for is a scam doesn't mean a lot of them are. I work for a non-profit company and we are severely underpaid. But like someone else said do research on a non-profit before donating. There are a lot of charities that are doing a lot of good things out there. You can usually find the % of expenses that goes towards admin, fundraising, and programs.

The amount given out by Ditka's program is ridiculous though. He's out there spouting off about how they need help now and then they raise over $1M and don't even distribute more than $50k? There should be admin and fundraising expenses but no more than 25% max or else they're not doing a good job. I mean how many people do they really need to hire for a company with $1.3M in revenue in 3 years?

Last edited:
I mean how many people do they really need to hire for a company with $1.3M in revenue in 3 years?

I wouldn't be surprised if this were the real problem. Let's say you set up a fancy charity with a full staff imagining you'll collect $millions a year, then the donations never materialize...you're toast. Ineptitude is just as effective as swindling when it comes to making money disappear.

The Human Fund is my favorite charity as well.

Just because one charity you worked for is a scam doesn't mean a lot of them are. I work for a non-profit company and we are severely underpaid. But like someone else said do research on a non-profit before donating. There are a lot of charities that are doing a lot of good things out there. You can usually find the % of expenses that goes towards admin, fundraising, and programs.

The amount given out by Ditka's program is ridiculous though. He's out there spouting off about how they need help now and then they raise over $1M and don't even distribute more than $50k? There should be admin and fundraising expenses but no more than 25% max or else they're not doing a good job. I mean how many people do they really need to hire for a company with $1.3M in revenue in 3 years?
I didnt say all were scams.........anyone hear of the united way bonus a few trs back to the head honcho........:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe