Welcome to PatsFans.com

Ditka to dissolve assistance fund after critical report

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Pujo, Dec 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pujo

Pujo Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Looks like Ditka needs to worry about his own problems more and the Patriots less.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-nfldisability&prov=ap&type=lgns

2. BradyManny

BradyManny Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +92 / 4 / -0

WTF, 1.3 mill and he only turns out $57K? I'm sorry, but that's pathetic and there's gotta be some corruptness involved there.

3. FirstAndGoal

FirstAndGoal Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +101 / 2 / -0

Startup costs. I don't think anything funny is going on. Ditka isn't the type as much as he can be an ass.

4. pol_troop

pol_troop Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Maybe someone needs to do a Ditka prayer?

5. betterthanthealternative

betterthanthealternative In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +133 / 4 / -0

A million dollars in start up and fund raising costs? Sounds a bit extreme, to say the least.

6. FirstAndGoal

FirstAndGoal Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +101 / 2 / -0

It depends. Lawyer fees, office space, salaries, promotional events (meetings), travel, etc.

It could cost that much. He's not trying to start a pizza joint. He's trying to start an organization with rules, policies, outreach programs, etc.

He was just over his head IMHO.

7. phimseto

phimseto On the Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

There might be something unseemly going on, but I doubt pretty strongly that Mike Ditka had anything to do with it. Celebrity-driven charities have this problem a lot, like the Baldwins' breast cancer awareness charity. There's probably some kind of racket to gaming the systems that people use. The celebrities pushing these charities really have no idea how things are run. That is the case most of the time, at least, and I'm sure it's the case with Ditka's fund. I'm sorry to hear that's the case, too. It is a worthwhile charity.

8. Snake

Snake Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Jim Rome is presently discussing this on Rome is Burning.

9. PlattsFan

PlattsFan On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

That's too bad because this charity (and work pushing the NFL and NFLPA to pony up for former players) is really needed.

10. PatsFanSince74

PatsFanSince74 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +165 / 3 / -1

we don't know yet. but he might have been trusting the wrong people who were padding their pockets and expense accounts. he's never struck me as having a lot of "non-football" intelligence. we sometimes forget that there are high profile sports personalities whose abilities are pretty limited outside of football.

he's been really negative, judgmental and self-righteous about the pats so i really don't have much sympathy for him, but i feel very bad for the players he thought he was helping.

11. The Boston Patriot

The Boston Patriot PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +93 / 4 / -0

Another dismal failure for Ditka. Am I surprised? No, not at all... :rolleyes:

Big mouth, no brains...

12. Steamer86

Steamer86 On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Well done is better than well said. Ditka talked a big game.....

13. eom

eom In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -2

they just failed to report the whole story.

it was actually $57k distributed PLUS 1000 cases of his bbq sauce.

14. fnordcircle

fnordcircle ( o Y o ) PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +443 / 9 / -14

Organizing fund raisers, sending out cards asking for donations, flying your fund raising employees out to expensive events, these are not things that are free.

I have no doubt that there was probably some expenses that could have been avoided, but saying OMG 57k out of 1.3m is oversimplifying it.

15. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,737 / 19 / -12

Disable Jersey

No it's NOT oversimplified.
    Sad to say many such 'non-profit' orgs pay very large salaries and expense accounts to the top dogs. I do not want to discourage charitable contributons by anyone, especially in the Christmas season but people please look into the charities that you choose. Don't use cynicism as an excuse to give little or nothing, just do your homework.

16. He Ban Me

He Ban Me Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Could you do it for me?? Please check in to the "Human Fund". It sounds a little fishy, but worthwhile at the same time. I'm confused.

17. patchick

patchick Moderatrix Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,131 / 9 / -2

#11 Jersey

Much easier now than it used to be, too, since a couple of different groups report on charities' spending/finances and rate their efficiency. The variability turns out to be HUGE. One year my family wanted to give to a visiting nurses' agency. There turned out to be three in our region -- three organizations doing the same work in the same area. The percent of their spending that went to "administration" ranged from 25% to 70%.

In Ditka's case, there's very little chance he had anything to do with the actual mechanics of the charity. Probably he was more disgusted than anyone to hear that so little good had been done.

18. abejarano12

abejarano12 On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Ditka has said some really dumb things about the Pats, but I don't think that he had any thing fishy going on in his charity work.

19. BradyManny

BradyManny Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +92 / 4 / -0

Surprise, surprise, ESPN comes to his defense:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3150418

Read between the lines, and it basically looks like the organization got exposed and is trying to make up for it now. Not saying he personally had anything to do with it, but that's just one crappy organization.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2007
  20. njpatsfan

njpatsfan Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Sadly, charities are one of the biggest scams going today in America. Tax exempt status, little government oversight and lax governance laws have created a system ripe for abuse. Tellingly, a charity that gives out only 60% of what it takes in is considered a "good" charity.

Often times the boards are paid out of charity funds, and are stocked with relatives and cronies of the management. Lack of transparency and conflicts of interests about. A CEO of a charity often makes a good 6 figure salary, and big ones have 7 figure salaries.

A great site to check out the particulars of your favorite charity is www.give.org. I've used it for years .... it's been my experience that if the charity doesn't have a report there, then there's a good chance that there is something fishy going on in that organization.

R

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.