PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Different things last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NEGoldenAge

Banned
Reaction score
If someone'd told me before last night that the Patriots would be saved by their own false start and the other teams timeout, no screens were thrown by the Pats and that Kevin Faulk would make a bad decision that almost cost the game I'd have told them they were insane. Turns out, they'd be right, and we'd witness one of the most dramatic, nailbiting regular season games on record.

First off, give props to the Ravens. They played their frickin hearts out. McGahee ran like a man possed, like a faster, 2003 Cory Dillon X2, this man would not be denied..... almost. Boller had an amazing game when you consider the pressure he had all night, even taking Adalius out on a block. I bet he hit the ground more than Brady did. Their guys played with a lot of emotion and physicality, but in the end, that may be what beat them. They comitted a lot more penalties than were called, and it all came to a head at the end. If Boller and McGahee continue to play well, the Ravens may win out, and potentially be a dangerous team in the playoffs.

Some parts of the Patriots play were pretty dismal. On offense, the O-line, although good at times, had perhaps it's worst game of the season. Tom didn't have his greatest game, which is understandable considering the pressure and dropped passes. He had a few sail on him and was pretty lucky to come out with just one INT. There were several dropped balls by reliable guys, perhaps affected by Tom having to rifle it, some wabble caused by the wind and cold hands.

On the positive side, the backs, including Maroney had some good blocking for Brady. Faulk, minus one mental error, had a good game with a game saving strip, some excellent running when nothing was there and remained a threat in the air game. The blocking by the wide receivers was fantastic all over the field. All in all, 27 points aint bad against this Baltimore defense.

On the defensive side, Asante Samuel played his worst half of the Season and both Hobbs and Gay didn't look great tonight either. Fortunately the safeties played some good ball, both having good games. Excepting a couple of drives, our run defense was shoddy at best. Poor tackling at the line, by the linebackers and in the secondary... even spilling over to special teams. I realize how well McGahee was playing, but good defenses must rise to the challenge. Seymour got some good pressure, but I think his run stopping is still not where it was before he was out. James Sander's runback was sweet and he really holds onto the ball when he runs with it. He is a special player and I hope he is a healthy Patriot for a long time. Now I know why Meriwether isn't a receiver ;)

I'd really like to hear the philosohpy behind the offensive play calling. A great screen team with Kevin Faulk, Wes Welker and Donte Stallworth, ran zero screens against a blitzing defense that was knocking Brady around. I'm sure there is some method there, but I am at a complete loss. Nothing that makes sense comes to mind..... Could the Pats actually be holding a bunch of stuff back to lull teams in the playoffs? I know it sounds far-fetched, and I do not believe this to be true, but I honestly can't think of another explanation.

For much of the game it looked a bit like the Patriots were trying to lose the game. Fortunately for us, the Raven's decided to give it away on that last drive. The emotionn and physciality that drove the Ravens the entire game cost them the game in the end.

i dont know why we didnt run more screens.
but i do know we should use maroney more in the passing game.
hes good when he gets into the open field.
at times it seemed like they wanted to loose.
but we are talking about the patriots here.
they DONT want to loose no matter what anyone says.

Twas only an expression ;) but it did seem like they were tryin to give it away to me.

i know, at one point last night i thought so too.
it was hard to think but maybe a loss would shut up all the annoying media.
then again all they would say is the "true" blueprint is out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST