PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Did BB and Shanahan suspect the Ref crew?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gumby

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
When the Denver game started it kicked off very auspiciously (in my mind).

One of the very first plays had 2 or 3 Pats defenders jumping across the neutral zone. Immediately after the flags went up; both the Denver players and the Pats guys (Sey I think and Wilfork but not sure) were very very vigourously imploring the refs to call it their way. (encroachment by Pats or false start on Denver respectively)

I couldn't help thinking at the time; 'I have never seen Pats guys get so worked up at talking the refs into something; Did BB tell them this crew was "persuadable" or something?'

Q: Is it possible that BB had scouted the referees. A: I think almost indisputably he gives his guys crew tendancies as part of the game prep.

Q: Is it possible that this prep had an unintended consequence of making the Pats capable of being psyched out by the refs making horrid one sided calls like that BS on Asante?

We'll never know; but IMO the calls did affect things.

Like the first call on Asante IMO did affect how hawkins covered the next Bronco in the back of the end zone; he backed off the guy with a 6 foot cushion once ball was released high by Plummer; just so ref wouldn't have an excuse to call PI again.

Gumby, bless you. But this is absurd.

maaaybeeeee.

patsox23 said:
Gumby, bless you. But this is absurd.
each crew of officials gets a numerical rating for every game they work. i would imagine that the ratings are kept pretty secret.
but if any nfl coaches would know each crew's ratings, it would be the wily old guys like BB, parcells, joe gibbs, shanahan, and probably a couple others.
did BB and shanahan know the crew's rating? i'd be surprised if they didn't. was it a lousy rating? who knows? BB made a comment to that effect in a conference call.
and yes, i believe that jfk is a shaman somewhere in the chilean mountains, elvis walks among us from time to time, and that flouride in our drinking water is a communist plot.

OT. But, have you looked in Shanahan's eyes?

If he wasn't a coach, he would be a serial killer.

ilduce06410 said:
each crew of officials gets a numerical rating for every game they work. i would imagine that the ratings are kept pretty secret.
but if any nfl coaches would know each crew's ratings, it would be the wily old guys like BB, parcells, joe gibbs, shanahan, and probably a couple others.
did BB and shanahan know the crew's rating? i'd be surprised if they didn't. was it a lousy rating? who knows? BB made a comment to that effect in a conference call.
and yes, i believe that jfk is a shaman somewhere in the chilean mountains, elvis walks among us from time to time, and that flouride in our drinking water is a communist plot.

No angry responses please.... Roger Clemens and Curt Shilling keep track of umpires, how they define the strike zone and other tendencies they repeat. It would be more shocking if BB did NOT know the tendencies of particular officiating crews.

BB has tape on everyone. I just hope the tape he has on me is not from the '80s with my big hair and ripped jeans dancing to "Like A Virgin"......:rolleyes:

Bill's Girl said:
BB has tape on everyone. I just hope the tape he has on me is not from the '80s with my big hair and ripped jeans dancing to "Like A Virgin"......:rolleyes:

That's got to be one of the funniest things I've ever read.

I doubt anybody from any coaching staff has access to the NFL's Ref scoring system; but I'll bet most all teams have one of their own. Coaches work like what? A million hours a week? and have access to video of everything and all the help they'd ever need.

I'm pretty sure it's in the holley book that Belichick is aware of which crew is working the game that week and informs the players of tendencies. It makes sense, not sure if that's standard procedure for every team to do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News