PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Details on Jahri Evans' contract

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please note that I now think Mankins will not play again for the Patriots.

Five year deal.
$10,000,000 signing bonus. This bonus is prorated over 5 years or $2 million per annum.
$7,000,000 2010 salary which is guaranteed.
$4,000,000 salary in 2011 which would be guaranteed
$4,500,000 salary in 2012
$5,000,000 salary in 2013
$5,500,000 salary in 2014
$50,000 offseason workout bonus money all five years.

Mankins will get $25.565 million over the first 3 years of the contract - more than Evans. Mankins' APY would be $7.25 million and he would get more guaranteed money ($21 million) than Evans ($19 million)

His cap numbers
$9,050,000 in 2010
$6,050,000 in 2011
$6,550,000 in 2012
$7,050,000 in 2013
$7,550,000 in 2014

I based my numbers on
FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | Under the Cap: Top Ten Guards and Centers

While Evans is younger than Mankins, Mankins plays the more important position in my mind.

Thanks. I don't see Mankin$ ever playing for us again, either.

The terms you proposed are generous indeed; too generous, in fact. There's no way that Mankin$ should receive more in either guaranteed money or first-3-years money than Evans; he's older & just plain not as good. I would knock down the signing bonus & first-year #s by a couple of M each. $22.5M/first-3 and $17.5M guaranteed seems more than fair to me.

I think it is important that you make it clear to people that this is your projection of what he should expect (I think your use of the term will as opposed to would may inadvertently confusing some into thinking you have uncovered terms he was offered). .

Done. Hopefully the changes make it clearer.

His problem is with the negotiations. If they aren't negotiating about the terms of the contract, then what are they negotiating?

Okay, I see the problem. You did not read the link to the Mike Reiss article that I put in my original post. I assumed that you had. It will make much clearer what I am trying to say.

Key issue: Extension or new deal - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Mike is suggesting that the issue is not the numbers in the contract but when the contract starts. It is an important hypothesis that deserves serious consideration and does not seem to be getting it. I am trying to extend the hypothesis and suggest that Logan Mankins may be angry because he feels that Kraft assured him that he would not lose by waiting to get the long-term contract.

I suppose it can be argued that all of my posts are off-topic. I posted to this thread because it seemed to be distinctly saner and more reasonable than the alternatives. Also, I would argue that whether the issue is the numbers or something else is relevant to the topic.

Last edited:
Okay, I see the problem. You did not read the link to the Mike Reiss article that I put in my original post. I assumed that you had. It will make much clearer what I am trying to say.

Key issue: Extension or new deal - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Mike is suggesting that the issue is not the numbers in the contract but when the contract starts. It is an important hypothesis that deserves serious consideration and does not seem to be getting it. I am trying to extend the hypothesis and suggest that Logan Mankins may be angry because he feels that Kraft assured him that he would not lose by waiting to get the long-term contract.

I suppose it can be argued that all of my posts are off-topic. I posted to this thread because it seemed to be distinctly saner and more reasonable than the alternatives. Also, I would argue that whether the issue is the numbers or something else is relevant to the topic.

I did read the article and it makes specific reference to the fact that the only reason why the contract start date is so important is because of how it effect the average dollar amounts.

From the article:"Published reports indicate that the Patriots have offered a proposal that averages $7 million per season. Yet it's possible that Mankins views the offer as less than that -- more in the $6-6.5 million range -- if the proposal is an extension that is tacked on to his $3.2 million salary in 2010. "

So it again goes back to the money. I do have to wonder if Mankins' agent is doing a good enough a job of explaining all this to him.

I did read the article and it makes specific reference to the fact that the only reason why the contract start date is so important is because of how it effect the average dollar amounts.

From the article:"Published reports indicate that the Patriots have offered a proposal that averages $7 million per season. Yet it's possible that Mankins views the offer as less than that -- more in the $6-6.5 million range -- if the proposal is an extension that is tacked on to his $3.2 million salary in 2010. "

So it again goes back to the money. I do have to wonder if Mankins' agent is doing a good enough a job of explaining all this to him.

The assumption in most discussions has been that the $7 million a year contract starts this year, and Logan Mankins has been widely pilloried for wanting more. There is a distinct possibility, that the $7 million a year contract will only start in 2011, and the Patriots want Logan Mankins to play under the tender offer this year.

It makes a big difference when he gets the guaranteed money. The issue is not just a small difference in average salary. Most contracts only last for three years whatever they may have been written for. In practice, we may be talking about a difference between $21 million and $17 million.

Because we don't know the details, we really have no idea what the situation is. We don't know if it is a small difference in money or a large difference in money or a large difference in long-term security.

Sincerely, thank you for responding to my posts, but if you still do not understand what I am saying, I don't know what further to say.

If it is an extension and the money doesn't start until 2011, then that sheds a new light on the subject.

However I still think that Logan could have handled this better in public than he did. I'm still disappointed in his statements.

The assumption in most discussions has been that the $7 million a year contract starts this year, and Logan Mankins has been widely pilloried for wanting more. There is a distinct possibility, that the $7 million a year contract will only start in 2011, and the Patriots want Logan Mankins to play under the tender offer this year.

It makes a big difference when he gets the guaranteed money. The issue is not just a small difference in average salary. Most contracts only last for three years whatever they may have been written for. In practice, we may be talking about a difference between $21 million and $17 million.

Because we don't know the details, we really have no idea what the situation is. We don't know if it is a small difference in money or a large difference in money or a large difference in long-term security.

Sincerely, thank you for responding to my posts, but if you still do not understand what I am saying, I don't know what further to say.

I would assume he still gets the guaranteed money this year. I believe that is usually the case with contracts extentions although someone else more knowledgeable can confirm it. If that is not the case, then I would say he has a valid beef. He should elaborate which is the case as it would make a difference

However, by some accounts, he and his agent never tried to negotiate the offer. If that is truly the case, then shame on him for not making an effort.

or maybe we could let mankins and his agent negotiate his pay with the team and everybody else could mind their own business.

how people on the internet can do so much arguing with so little knowledge of a subject will always be a mystery to me.

If it is an extension and the money doesn't start until 2011, then that sheds a new light on the subject.

However I still think that Logan could have handled this better in public than he did. I'm still disappointed in his statements.

I agree, on both counts.

how people on the internet can do so much arguing with so little knowledge of a subject will always be a mystery to me.

Why? We do it here all the time. It'd be kinda dull here, otherwise.

or maybe we could let mankins and his agent negotiate his pay with the team and everybody else could mind their own business.

When Logan *****ed to the media, he made it everyone's business.

When Logan *****ed to the media, he made it everyone's business.

and do you have any idea what he's *****ing about or do you just like *****ing to the internet?

and do you have any idea what he's *****ing about or do you just like *****ing to the internet?

Who's *****in? I just pointed out a fact that proved your point invalid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Back