PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Despite hype, anyone think NE offense plays cautiously for TB in 1st game back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdangle

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Despite the hype, anyone thinking NE plays O cautiously for TB gm #1?

I'm inclined to think BB call plays a bit more cautiously tomorrow than most believe for TB's first game. His first live action in months, and regular season action in almost 9(?) months. It might disappoint us fans, looking for a TB air show, but it's the smart move long term for both TB's safety and the team in general.

I expect to see more runs, screens, draws, 3-step drops, 2 TE sets, TE's chips, 6 OL than shotguns and 5 WR sets.

Why? CLE gonna be chomping at the bit, TB might be a bit rusty, some lack of familiarity and communication with a new O line, new skill players, plays, a super hyped stadium, hungry media, etc. A nice methodical dismantling of the Browns on O, and a leaning on the D to force costly mistakes might be the most prudent course of action to get the W and walk away with minimal risk of injuries.

But I don't know. What everyone's take on the gameplan we see for tomorrow? Slow it down or open it up? Or a dogfight, without even having any such the luxury. Or an aerial blowout early, then slow it down late?

I think Pats game plan will be based on exploiting the Browns weaknesses regardless of who is playing QB. If that means more run plays so be it.

Last edited:
Cincy and Pittsburgh up next. TB will air out to get reps, if that also coincides with the best attack strategy. Tom needs to get in sync fast.

Cincy and Pittsburgh up next. TB will air out to get reps, if that also coincides with the best attack strategy. Tom needs to get in sync fast.

I'm hoping to see a couple of deep To Mitchell throws and hopefully a half dozen to Bennett.

But whatever gets the win works for me.

Pats game plan will be based on exploiting the Browns weaknesses

We have a winner. I just figured writing it instead of emoji-ing "Winner" was more appropriate.

Would LOVE to see a run heavy plan with play action - give the league and the media the opportunity to start writing how Brady is washed up, unable to carry a team anymore, domesticated by the extra four weeks off, whatever crap they want to kvetch about. However, what I want has nothing to do with the Patriots, but my own ego and fascination with media manipulation and message management.

The Patriots will do what best offers the opportunity to win, then see what Cleveland does and adjust. Just like always.

I think it will be a very vanilla game plan to get Tom back in sync..

Cleveland is not exactly a defensive powerhouse... a few good defensive players.

I think it will be a very vanilla game plan to get Tom back in sync..

Cleveland is not exactly a defensive powerhouse... a few good defensive players.

They'll start him off so he gets in a rhythm but yea because he's missed so much time theyll call the game as he goes and the rest of the offense is on the same page.

Would LOVE to see a run heavy plan with play action - give the league and the media the opportunity to start writing how Brady is washed up, unable to carry a team anymore, domesticated by the extra four weeks off, whatever crap they want to kvetch about. .

Is it wrong to think that a best case scenario is for Brady to have a bad game that the Pats win despite him? Anything that makes the chip in his shoulder bigger is good!

Look at what Jordan Reed did to the Cleveland defense last week. Utalizing our 2 TE sets wouldn't be a bad idea

Even a conservative offensive game plan with Brady will seem explosive compared to last week.

On D it will probably be more of the same. Slow and steady wins the spaghetti. They will sit back keeping it all in front of them, hoping to force a mistake while bleeding clock. Every so often choosing to attack. I'm sure there will be a big emphasis on stuffing the run. Bill seems to keep the defense pretty conservative early in the year, after Thanksgiving we usually start to see the exotic stuff.

I don't think they'll play cautiously at all. The question for me is, will Brady be in synch with his receivers? That will determine whether we win the game or not. Can't wait to see TB 12 out there in a few hours. It feels like a weight has been lifted. Go Pats!

Actually the Pats offense has been on training wheels during these past 4 games. Brady will allow Josh Mcdaniels to get more creative with the playcalls because he has confidence Brady knows exactly what execution will be needed to make the play work.

You know what I don't understand? The concept of a "rusty Tom Brady." This guy's gone through 15-16 offseasons, I think he can handle a month-long suspension and treat it as any other opening day for him. Guy's a health and preparation freak too so I doubt he's behind the curve or anything like that

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back