PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Denver's TJ Ward a man of his word, goes low on 87 again

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's football. It's oversized, maxed out bodies hitting other oversized, maxed out bodies. Something's got to give. The alternative is flag football, or no football.

Fair enough, I do think something has to give at some point, and I'm sure finding the balance is difficult. But like I said above - I think if you offset taking away helmet shots to the knee with allowing DBs to have more contact at the line, the end result is the same for the defense. And you have safer players.

To me, I have a problem with any hit where the helmet becomes a detriment to player safety. It defeats the purpose. If Ward had no helmet on, would he make that hit? Absolutely not. Not unless he wants to knock himself unconscious on Gronk's knee.

That's not going to happen, though.

I remember Michael Irvin saying something like he preferred to be hit in the head than at the knees (of course, that could have been his multiple concussions talking). He said because he makes his living with his legs. Nobody is going to bring the Gronk down by grabbing him at the shoulders. BUT you don't have to put your helmet on his kneecap, which is précises what Ward did (AGAIN). Hit him at the thigh, or wrap up his legs. But anyone who says leading with your helmet to the guys knees is not a dirty play is wrong.

I agree, I didn't like the Ward hit on Gronk either, but Gronk is a freak. Last week I saw a safety try to tackle Gronk high and Gronk wiped him off like a bug on the windshield and the safety was laughed at everytime they played the replay. I'm very subjective and non bias on my Broncos, I don't think it was an attempt to injure. Ward is horrible in coverage, but a good hitter. He knows he has no shot going hight on Gronk.
Again, going low and targeting a knee with the crown of your helmet are NOT the same thing. It's pretty clear from the way Ward talks that he's, at the very least, a borderline dirty player.

As usual, Deus making excuses for opposing team's dirty play.

As others have said, there is a huge difference between wrapping up a player's legs and trying to spear their knees. Which is exactly what Ward tried to do to Gronkowski. Ward tried to intentionally take Gronk out again.

Also, please stop with the BS that they can't go HIGH. You can tackle a player anywhere from the shoulders to the thighs. You don't have to target their knees.

By-and-large, most NFL players feel a knee shot is dirtier than a head shot. I'm not saying it isn't commentary on your average player's intelligence that he'd rather have his brain scrambled than a blown out knee, but Ward knew exactly what he was doing. Thankfully, Gronk knew what he was doing as well.

You can have hard-hitting NFL football without leading with your helmet running a 4.4 directly at someones knee.

I don't know if Ward is dirty or not. What I do know is that he has no issue leading with his helmet on an opposing player's knee.

Zolak didn't mince words...

“Watch the intent by T.J. Ward. It’s one thing if you’re Devin McCourty, or Brandon Browner, or Darrelle Revis or even Aqib Talib. Aqib Talib is a damn good form tackler. He has a knack of wrapping people up by the legs and bringing ‘em down — hogtying people,” said Zolak. “When T.J. Ward takes the crown of the helmet and puts it right on that right knee, if Gronkowski doesn’t pick that knee up in time I don’t know what it’s like again. That was intent to take the knee out.”
“If that guy (Ward) doesn’t get a letter this week then they’re not doing their job down in Foxboro, meaning the league and alerting the league. They look at these. They look at these with guys who have that history,” said Zo. “There’s a way to tackle without taking somebody’s knee out. Does Ward really have to go with the crown of the helmet on the knee cap? That’s how you take guy’s careers out. It sucks.”

Zo’s final conclusion about Ward is simple.

“The guy is a punk. That’s a punk making a punk-ass play. Period.”

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2014/11/...ski-tackle-was-a-punk-making-a-punk-ass-play/

Last edited:
Hope someone ends his career and ends up in a wheelchair. F him.

Say what you want about my comment, idc. POS like him get no sympathy from me.
This is bad juju.. Never wish an injury on a player regardless if the player is a POS or not.

And got up clapping after it. Scumbag. I got pissed off when i saw that. Other fans around me did as well. Karma is a *****.

Ward went knee to helmet again. Fortunately Gronks foot wasn't planted.

The hit looked cheap and I didn't like Ayers hit on Manning either.

BB said that he teaches his players to tackle between the shoulders and waist.
Huge difference between Ayers hit on Manning and Ward's hit on Gronk. That was shown in the pics here.

gronkpuss.gif

Gronk calling someone (hopefully Ward) a pu**y.

The thing is, even though Gronk saw the hit coming and got his leg up off the ground, he would still be in an operating room this morning if he didn't have that knee brace on. His leg still took a huge hit, one that would've probably re-torn his knee ligaments.

This is bad juju.. Never wish an injury on a player regardless if the player is a POS or not.

Ward should be the one worried about karma. He can get hit by a semi for all i care.

Ward should be the one worried about karma. He can get hit by a semi for all i care.
Wishing an injury on someone only reflects badly on you. Shows you to be as classless as Ward..

I don't care about Ward's health, but I'm not going to wish him ill or harm either.

Huge difference between Ayers hit on Manning and Ward's hit on Gronk. That was shown in the pics here.
Yep- Avery's is a texbook form tackle and Ward's is not.

The other side of the issue here is that if the league wants to go all-out on preventing concussions, enacting a rule that forbids a player from leading with their helmet on ANY bodypart of the offensive player should be introduced to the Rules & Competition Comittee (IMO)

The only way a guy his size is going to get Gronk down is by taking his legs out. But there are better ways than to put your helmet on a runner's knee. Ward doesn't even attempt to wrap up Gronk's knees or ankles.

Watch the sack on Manning on 4th and six. Ayers comes in with his shoulder above the knee and wraps us Manning's legs so he can only go down. No risk of blowing out his knee: http://www.patriots.com/media-cente...4th-down/1fedd438-ccc0-4e58-9c53-12c76d76ce93

That is the way it's done.

Last edited:
Wishing an injury on someone only reflects badly on you. Shows you to be as classless as Ward..

I don't care about Ward's health, but I'm not going to wish him ill or harm either.

No, i'm a realist in a world where you reap what you sow. Ward wants to act like a dog, he better not be surprised when he gets bit.

Bruschi had a fairly neutral response but was clear on his approach on how to tackle Gronk.

Q. Did you see the attempted knee hit by T.J. Ward on Rob Gronkowski!? Dirty player or just trying to stay within the rules? It seems players are going for Gronk's knees now. What should they do to prevent an injury? -- Steve (Boston)

A. I'm not aware of a reputation for T.J. Ward that he is a dirty player. Given the size Gronkowski has in the middle of the field, I'd go low, too. I wouldn't purposely try to hurt him, but I was always taught to wrap up the legs. Once he catches the ball, snap that head around, eye the defense and if someone is going low, protect yourself. As a QB, Tom Brady has to realize this, too, and I know he tries to put it only in places that Gronkowski can do this. He's that accurate of a QB, but there are certain times he has to put it high because there is going to be good coverage .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents