PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DeMaurice Smith requests to appear as co-counsel for next week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can some of our attorney's chime in here and explain possible motivations for this move?
Victory has a thousand mothers, defeat is an orphan...Dude thinks they will win and wants to be upfront......
Will look good in the next election....

And as for the comment about the reps supporting Brady now...could that be why Cromartie came out in support....Let's see if any other players do the same and youll know it is a strategy...

Victory has a thousand mothers, defeat is an orphan...Dude thinks they will win and wants to be upfront......
Will look good in the next election....

And as for the comment about the reps supporting Brady now...could that be why Cromartie came out in support....Let's see if any other players do the same and youll know it is a strategy...
Winston has amped up his rhetoric. I bet there will be other promonant players chiming in..

Drew Brees in 3..2..1

You would think Drew Brees would come out in support of Brady and the PA, for obvious reasons. Hell get Sean Payton on the phone I'm sure he has a few things to say about it though he's not a part of the union.

Not an attorney, but it looks like grandstanding. Like politicians and big bosses showing up to share credit for major accomplishments. Granted, he's ultimately responsible for the decision to take this on and fund the effort, but all the grunt work has been done by the litigation team and he should avoid rocking the boat for personal gain at this late date. I see no value to this. A Dilbert move.

I think you mean a Wally move. Wally is the one always taking credit for doing nothing,

You would think Drew Brees would come out in support of Brady and the PA, for obvious reasons. Hell get Sean Payton on the phone I'm sure he has a few things to say about it though he's not a part of the union.
Players are afraid of Goodell. It'll take time.

More blood needs to be in the water.

I think you mean a Wally move. Wally is the one always taking credit for doing nothing,
I meant a Dilbert Cartoon move. :)

I meant a Dilbert Cartoon move. :)

Wally is Dilbert's co-worker who likes to sit around doing nothing but loves taking credit for the group's success. :)

I have to think there's no way he's doing this unless he's nearly certain of a crushing victory. The conspiracy theorist in me thinks, and my god hopes, that he wants to be the one that delivers some crushing evidence that shows Goodell, Wells and the rest of the NYJ league office was complicit from the start with a smear agenda.

So, no settlement in the works it seems. The arrogance of the front office is astounding. If (When) the NFL is going down, it will be in a glorious ball of fire.

I imagine Brady's negotiating position is so harsh there's little grounds for settlement. At this point I assume he's going for zero admission of guilt (of course), and probably either zero punishment or a token fine. Part of this could be as a favor to the NFLPA -- it helps them more than it helps him if he is totally cleared even on the non-cooperation charge.

And if his alternative offer is a re-do with a neutral arbitrator -- well, accepting that would be a total capitulation by the league as well.

My current guess is that Berman will vacate the results of the hearing, and order a re-hearing with a neutral arbitrator. At that point the details of the neutral arbitration probably WILL be decided by a settlement negotiation. If Goodell is crazy enough to want to appeal Berman's decision, even owners who support Goodell will probably tap him on the shoulder and tell him enough is enough ...

Oh yes -- Smith being there suggests that the NFLPA is sort of a third party to any settlement, presumably along the lines I suggested of Brady not wanting to do anything that inadvertently screws them. First, he owes them. Second, his story about the phone is that he was trying to do right by the NFLPA when he resisted.

Will Berman see this as arrogant by Smith?

I think Brady's settlement offer will be: no games, $8500 fine for first time equipment violation, no admission of guilt, and if you are lucky I won't sue you for defamation.

If you mess with the results this season to downplay IDL, defamation is back on he table.

Id almost go as far as saying when you do testing this year, you need to do ours in similar game conditions, with witnesses and we can publish the results.

Personally, if I was Brady, I wouldn't want Smith there as Co-Counsel.. He hasn't been involved to this point, why now? To get credit for something he's had no part of?? That's just as bad as Goodell, imho

Id almost go as far as saying when you do testing this year, you need to do ours in similar game conditions, with witnesses and we can publish the results.

I agree with this. The Patriots should know by now that they CAN'T TRUST THE NFL.

Personally, if I was Brady, I wouldn't want Smith there as Co-Counsel.. He hasn't been involved to this point, why now? To get credit for something he's had no part of?? That's just as bad as Goodell, imho

Me thinks that Dee Smith and his time as Assistant US Attorney and on Eric Holder's staff is going to come in handy.

I'm willing to bet he knows this judge VERY well.

Let's not forget Smith authorized and funded the NFLPA effort. I'm sure he's been heavily involved behind the scenes. This is just the latest in his string of efforts (Bountygate, Rice, Peterson) to reign in Goodell's authority.

If Smith wants to show up to steal some glory on what he expects is a giant victory, I'm fine with that. I don't care who gets credit if Brady is exhonerated.

The bolded part is ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
Back