PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DeMaurice Smith requests to appear as co-counsel for next week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Me thinks that Dee Smith and his time as Assistant US Attorney and on Eric Holder's staff is going to come in handy.

I'm willing to bet he knows this judge VERY well.
where is the "I hope so button" ?

Sorry if these questions have been answered elsewhere, but I'm still confused about the process.

What is the Magistrate's role?
Both sides met with Magistrate Francis, but what came of that?
Can we assume nothing since they'll meet with the Judge next week?
Is it possible both sides have some idea how the decision will go based on conversations with the Judge's clerk or are they in the dark as well?

where is the "I hope so button" ?
I think this is ok. If Dee Smith had a run-in with this judge he'd be far away.

Here is his bio as a lawyer.

He knows a good case when he sees it.

He is a major heavy-hitter.

DeMaurice Smith is the Executive Director of the National Football League Players Association. He was elected unanimously by a board of active player representatives on March 16, 2009.

Prior to his election, he was a trial lawyer and litigation partner in the Washington, DC offices of law firms Patton Boggs, LLP and Latham Watkins LLP. In private practice, he represented Fortune 500 companies in criminal and complex civil cases, compliance matters, and internal investigations. He has argued numerous cases before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit and the District of Columbia Court of Appeals.

Smith previously served as Counsel to then-Deputy Attorney General Eric Holder in the U.S. Department of Justice before entering private practice. His duties revolved around national security issues, congressional relations, and DOJ budget and finance allocation

He served in the United States Attorney's Office for the District of Columbia for ten years where he held senior positions in the Violent Crime and Transnational and Major Crime Sections. He prosecuted more than 80 jury trials and handled some of the most significant homicide, narcotics and white collar criminal investigations in the history of that office.

Smith is a fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers, has served on the Board of Governors of the D.C. Bar Association, and is the' former president of the Assistant United States Attorney's Association. He is also a member of the Board of Advisors for the Office for Access and Advancement for Public Black Universities of the Association of Public and Land Grant Universities. He is a recipient of the United States Attorney General's Award, the John Evans Trial Advocacy Award from the United States Attorney's Association, and the 2010 Cedarville College Alumnus of the Year Award. He was also honored as a recipient of the Keeper of the Dream Award by the National Action Network and named one of the Top Ten Most Influential Persons by the Sports Business Journal. He was inducted into the Ohio Foundation of Independent Colleges' Hall of Excellence in 2010, and was the 2011 Commencement Speaker at the University of Maryland, College Park, Maryland.

Smith is a graduate of the University of Virginia School of Law and received his bachelor's degree in Political Science from Cedarville University, a Christian college in Ohio. He is a member of the Maryland and District of Columbia Bar Associations.

The bolded part is ridiculous.
Really? DeMaurice Smith is a stooge and is the one who got the NFLPA this deal.. You want to think he's not as bad as Goodell, so be it. But the facts don't support you.

Here is my take ... Smith thinks the judge may just force the NFL in a plea bargain agreement to have Goodell give up the role of arbitrator ( and have a truly independent arbitrator agreed to by both parties). Berman does not want to see these types of cases in his or any other court. The NFL is the only Major league that has this kind of power in the commissioner. The NFL and Players association agreed on HGH Testing outside of the CBA negotiations, they can on this side too! What is Tom Brady giving them ... He gets no suspension, no fine and he agrees to not sue them for defamation of character and potential loss income from endorsements.

Really? DeMaurice Smith is a stooge and is the one who got the NFLPA this deal.. You want to think he's not as bad as Goodell, so be it. But the facts don't support you.

You must have a very non-standard definition of "bad".

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back