Welcome to PatsFans.com

Defensive pressure

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by SVN, Sep 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SVN

SVN Rookie

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0

i just saw the highlights of philadalphia sacking roethlisberger 9 times and was thinking - is it our defensive such that we hardly get that kind of pressure. maybe the sack stat is overrated .but over the yrs BB has evolved our offense.anyone think he might consider evolving the defense down the line to introduce more pressure packages. or is it just that the eagles have better corners and can afford to play them one on one.but then the giants dont have such corners but bring equal amount of pressure.
    any thoughts ?
  2. PatriotDynasty_12

PatriotDynasty_12 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I'll give a lot of credit to Pennington. The times we did get on him he stood in there long enough and dumped it off for a couple yards.

But we do need to blitz more IMO. The secondary can only cover for so long
  3. stcjones

stcjones Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 7 / -1

#12 Jersey

This is a VERY good point......why is our D incapable of bringing the house and putting pressure on the QB? When is the last time that this team had a D that could put pressure on a QB like the Gints did against us in the SB last year? This is another area of great weakness in our defense again this year.........The opposing QB can just sit back there all day.....
  4. BradyToMoss

BradyToMoss Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

To be honest I was shocked BB let Pennington sit back there and pick us apart, he held back from blitzing and this defensive front is really not a good pressure oriented D-Line, it's great against the run, but really struggles as a whole to get pressure on the QB and Vrable, I believe is really starting to show some age. Tough seeing Crable inactive every week would be nice to see him in on situational pass rushing opps.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2008
  5. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +802 / 8 / -10

Disable Jersey

Sad to say again this week Rodney arrived that half second too late on the SS blitz. I do think that age has hurt his play. Strangely, premier pass rusher #50 failed to put any consistent pressure on the QB. Let's hope it's a team D abberation.

I'm more worried about the run D which was worse.
  6. Brady to Brown

Brady to Brown Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The Patriots defense let the play come to them instead of going after the play. I don't like it but it is what it is.
  7. Rocky

Rocky Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Maybe it is just me, but did it really seem like they were sitting back today? I mean, basically every type of pass was open for Pennington. If nothing was open deep, it seemed that he had a RB open in the middle for a nice 8 yards. Why was nobody well covered? It also seemed like the Jets passed a lot on first down, possibly thinking the Pats were gearing for the run on first down? I'm grasping here. If they can't get pressure, this defense is easily exposed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.