PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Defense needs to be legislated back into the NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's nothing wrong with the NFL's pass interference call. The college version is idiotic.

I'd at least like to see pass interference calls become reviewable. That is more costly than a personal foul, but relies on a split-second judgment from an official, and can often change the outcome of a game (like that ridiculous call in the 4th quarter of the Colts game).

Some argue that then all penalties will be challenged, but I disagree. Most of those calls are made only when the ref sees something. Players hold on every single play, yet it is only called when the ref specifically sees an atrocious example of it.

But on pass interference, they often seem to miss the flight of the ball and whether it was catchable, while also seeing if the QB was in the pocket or if the ball was tipped before. There's a lot going into that call and mistakes make a huge impression on the game.
A PI call in a Colts game? Surely you can't be serious!

DontCallMeShirley.gif

The NFL definitely needs to give the defense a boost. There have never been as many 4,000 yard passers as there are or are going to be in the NFL this season. I don't want the NFL to eventually become the arena league.

1. Make all pass interference calls 15 yards and a first down
2. Allow contact within 10 yards of line of scrimmage

Biggest reason why completion percentages are so high is because QB's are protected like never before with roughing the QB calls

1. Make all pass interference calls 15 yards and a first down

The problem is that this allows defenses a carte blanche to maul receivers in the endzone. So you get a 15 yard penalty, at least you didn't get burned for the TD! Still the PI rule does need to get looked at. There's just too liberal an interpretation and this penalty can turn around football games. It shouldn't be that determinative of a football game.

2. Allow contact within 10 yards of line of scrimmage

Too liberal a rule, that means that anywhere within the 1st down markers, defenders can maul receivers. This also eliminates too much area in the redzone. And the NFL likes to see scoring. I do think they should relax the rules a bit on what kind of touching is allowed though. Give the CB a chance to make the play on the ball, if he's honestly playing the ball, then let em play.

Biggest reason why completion percentages are so high is because QB's are protected like never before with roughing the QB calls

Or you can see QBs get their knees torn up for the season like Brady did. Not really something I want to see. I think there should be a higher threshold before the flag is thrown but I don't want to see QBs hit below the knees, ending their season or getting too many concussions and ending their careers early either.

Drew Brees had a monster season and has a great corps of wide receivers in New Orleans. I think his offensive line giving him the time to throw is also a big reason why he hit the 70% mark. Considering how the Saints also use the short passing game and passes to Bush in the flat as a substitute for running, I see why the completion percentage is so high with such short plays. In any case Brees did not even come close to Brady's record of 50 TDs.

Last edited:
I think the best chance to even the stakes is to take a hard look at offensive holding. I'm not sure if anyone remembers, but it was discussed back in the off-season. Here's the thread where about it here & below a PFT article that caused it:

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...09-refs-point-emphasis-offensive-holding.html

Pereira says offensive holding calls will rise in 2009 | ProFootballTalk.com

At the time this was posted, we were talking about how it would impact offenses, and their play-calling, believing that there would be an increase as advertised. Pass rushers would be more productive. Teams would have to run shorter routes, or leave in more blockers. Allowing defenses to cheat forward or defend fewer receivers respectively. Has anyone noticed an increase in these calls? I certainly haven't (either for or against the Colts).

Did some minor research, & chose to examine the Texans. Chose them because there are one of the 'surprise' passing teams. They don't have an O-line that I'd define as a strong point either.

Schaub's stat line this season: 372/544 (68.2%) 4,467 yds.
He took 24 sacks, 1 every 22 drop-backs.

# of Offensive Holding penalties total - 14
# of OH on passing plays - 4
# of OH on running plays - 3
# of OH on Special teams - 7

A few assumptions can be taken from this. First, Houston needs to do some work on their special teams discipline. Second, with 4 offensive passing penalties called on their pass-blockers, it's essentially had no impact on their passing offense. That's 1 every 4 games.

Apologies for the long post.

I totally agree, however... as comp. percentages rise, so too do television ratings.

yep

It's on offensively driven world. People don't care about a 10-7 game featuring two incredible teams with stout defenses.

They would rather watch the Browns and Lions score a combined 90 points

Belichick has been on to this for the last 2 drafts and he will continue into this years draft. Building a team that can play much of the game in nickel and dime packages. He already does this anyways ... Chung will be a bigger part of it next year.

I said it a few years ago and I still think Belichick will be the 1st coach to incorporate double SS's into most of his defensive packages. Meriweather and Chung will play a lot together next year in the box. 3-DL, 3-LB and 5 secondary players will become the base package. The defense built around Mayo, Meriweather and Chung.

Last edited:
Belichick has been on to this for the last 2 drafts and he will continue into this years draft. Building a team that can play much of the game in nickel and dime packages. He already does this anyways ... Chung will be a bigger part of it next year.

I said it a few years ago and I still think Belichick will be the 1st coach to incorporate double SS's into most of his defensive packages. Meriweather and Chung will play a lot together next year in the box. 3-DL, 3-LB and 5 secondary players will become the base package. The defense built around Mayo, Meriweather and Chung.
Agreed. I think a key piece to this D however is a couple of DEs who can rush the passer...

I'd at least like to see pass interference calls become reviewable. That is more costly than a personal foul, but relies on a split-second judgment from an official, and can often change the outcome of a game (like that ridiculous call in the 4th quarter of the Colts game).

Some argue that then all penalties will be challenged, but I disagree. Most of those calls are made only when the ref sees something. Players hold on every single play, yet it is only called when the ref specifically sees an atrocious example of it.

But on pass interference, they often seem to miss the flight of the ball and whether it was catchable, while also seeing if the QB was in the pocket or if the ball was tipped before. There's a lot going into that call and mistakes make a huge impression on the game.

Pretty much agreed. Only, I wouldn't like to see a coach's challenge for it. I'd like to see that challenge come from the booth, whether or not there is two minutes left in either the second or fourth quarters.

Curious to see that nobody here was complaining about a defense's rights two years ago, though. :cool:

Pretty much agreed. Only, I wouldn't like to see a coach's challenge for it. I'd like to see that challenge come from the booth, whether or not there is two minutes left in either the second or fourth quarters.

Curious to see that nobody here was complaining about a defense's rights two years ago, though. :cool:

I hate the DH rule with a passion. Does that mean I shouldn't be happy if my team signs a David Ortiz and wins because the DH rule has given me that sort of formidable bat in the lineup?

I hate the DH rule with a passion. Does that mean I shouldn't be happy if my team signs a David Ortiz and wins because the DH rule has given me that sort of formidable bat in the lineup?

Nope. The rules are the rules. If you play by them, you should win by them. I was merely pointing it out for humor's sake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back