PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

David Patten

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remix 6

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Heard on kffl.com that Patten is a possible June 1 cut. Hes behind Moss, Randel El and Lloyd. You guys think we might get him in camp .. let him compete for #3,#4 spot? I mean competition cant hurt anyone..might push Brown back a bit and definatley Johnson

Branch
Jackson
Caldwell
Patten
Brown

^doesnt look too bad

Redskins | Patten a possible June 1 cut
Sat, 20 May 2006 18:27:52 -0700

Paul Woody, writing for the Sporting News, reports Washington Redskins WR David Patten is a possible June 1 cut. He might have a chance to earn the No. 4 or No. 5 wide receiver spot, but his salary and bonus money might preclude keeping him in a limited role.

Last edited:
Remix 6 said:
Heard on kffl.com that Patten is a possible June 1 cut.
I'd love to have him back on the team. I've been a Bethel supporter, but I'd rather have Patten.

spacecrime said:
I'd love to have him back on the team. I've been a Bethel supporter, but I'd rather have Patten.
I'm on the other boat. Patten developed hands of stone in his later years, he only caught 46% of balls thrown his way in 2004. I'd rather pick up an unknown. The only benefit would be that Patten knows the offense.

Well he uses his speed better than Johnson..and hes been succesful here quiet a few times

Remix 6 said:
Well he uses his speed better than Johnson..and hes been succesful here quiet a few times
True. The upside is that we know what we're getting. The downside is that we know what we're getting. :rolleyes:

Would not be a bad pickup....need one or two more WRs in the mix...

Patten had one good year for the Pats in 2001. However, he was an overachiever. The Pats picked him off the scrap heap and we basically got lucky with him. In truth, Patten is strictly a deep, over-the-shoulder WR with excellent straight line speed. Similar to Andre Davis. However he's not physical and rarely catches balls in traffic. The Pats didn't want him back when his contract was up and the Skins overpaid for his services. He did next to nothing for them before his knee injury. Immediately after the FA period, the Skins traded for Brandon Lloyd and signed FA Antwan Randle El. With Santana Moss, that moves Patten to # 4 on the WR depth chart, at best. That and Patten's $1mil+ salary, make him a lock to get cut. Don't expect the Pats to take any interest when Patten becomes available.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brady-To-Branch said:
Patten had one good year for the Pats in 2001. However, he was an overachiever. The Pats picked him off the scrap heap and we basically got lucky with him. In truth, Patten is strictly a deep, over-the-shoulder WR with excellent straight line speed. Similar to Andre Davis. However he's not physical and rarely catches balls in traffic. The Pats didn't want him back when his contract was up and the Skins overpaid for his services. He did next to nothing for them before his knee injury. Immediately after the FA period, the Skins traded for Brandon Lloyd and signed FA Antwan Randle El. With Santana Moss, that moves Patten to # 4 on the WR depth chart, at best. That and Patten's $1mil+ salary, make him a lock to get cut. Don't expect the Pats to take any interest when Patten becomes available.

I disagree. Given the choice of "retire" or play for minimum salary, I think the Pats could get him easily. A WR who already knows the system and would definitely have a chip on his shoulder for being dumped is more valuable then a new one that doesn't. It would not surprise me in the least if BB went for him, because it would make strong "team sense" - - - value.

Last edited:
I thought of this as soon as the Redskins acquired Randel El and Brandon Lloyd. In fact, I think there's no way Patten DOESN'T get cut. But despite being a big fan, I hope we don't end up going for him - against my better angels, I really want Bethel to get one last opportunity and to make good on it. Signing Patten would mean Bethel (again) couldn't hack it.

Patten will be in a AFCE training camp near you this summer. I'm not sure he'll want to come here, at vet min, with Johnson still around.

Guy's......c'mon now. Seriously.

There is no way David Patten makes this team.

;)

David Patten is a creation of Tom Brady.

mikey said:

Too bad Brady didn't "create" Davis or Terrell the same way, then. He must be slacking. (Let's remind him to invent Bethel Johnson, while we're at it.)

patchick said:
He must be slacking. (Let's remind him to invent Bethel Johnson, while we're at it.)

Lol.

Yes chop chop Brady were waiting:rolleyes:

mikey said:
Interesting thought, and I tend to agree in the sense that he wasn't much before coming to the Pats, and not much after.

If not Brady, then at least he was in a system that utilized his talents best.

patchick said:
Too bad Brady didn't "create" Davis or Terrell the same way, then. He must be slacking. (Let's remind him to invent Bethel Johnson, while we're at it.)
Not sure if you are joking or not. The fact that other WRs were failures does not mean that Patten wasn't "made" by Brady.

It just means that Brady can't "make" everyone into a starting WR.

As an example, it is generally accepted that Dante has "made" some of our former UDFA OLine. You can't disprove this by saying that Dante could not turn you into an NFL starting OG or me into an NFL starting OT.

There are quite a few players that did not do much after leaving the Pats. Greg Spires is the only one I recall who did a lot better. Of course, there are some who say Ty Law did well, also, but I still think the Jets would have won more games without him than they did with him.

I dont understand why Washignton would do this. It wouldnt take any money off the books by cutting him this year. So why bother?

Come on..you cant tell me hed be a much better update over Johnson at this point..I wouldnt mind him as a #4 WR if he settles for the right money and is happy with the role

patsox23 said:
I thought of this as soon as the Redskins acquired Randel El and Brandon Lloyd. In fact, I think there's no way Patten DOESN'T get cut. But despite being a big fan, I hope we don't end up going for him - against my better angels, I really want Bethel to get one last opportunity and to make good on it. Signing Patten would mean Bethel (again) couldn't hack it.

LOL, it's been over a year since he's left the Pats and we're still making "there's no way Patten DOESN'T get cut" posts. I love it.

If he is cut bring him back !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case