PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dansby will not be tagged and wants $30M guaranteed...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Assuming the number requested is accurate, the number of years would certainly make a difference. He's only 28, so a 5-6 year contract would make sense. Given that the franchise tag for a linebacker is just under $9.7 million, that wouldn't be as insane as some seem to think it is.

Rookies in the past draft got bigger guarantees, if you're looking at it that way.

Assuming the number requested is accurate, the number of years would certainly make a difference. He's only 28, so a 5-6 year contract would make sense. Given that the franchise tag for a linebacker is just under $9.7 million, that wouldn't be as insane as some seem to think it is.

Rookies in the past draft got bigger guarantees, if you're looking at it that way.

Spot on...

Aaron Curry - LB 6 year $60 million contract, $34 million guaranteed

Last edited:
You and Deus Irae make a good point. It's not as bad as it initially sounded.

Here is how I am looking at it HBWU. Dansby will be 29 when the season starts and quite possible could be not worth the big money at 33 years old.

Aaron Curry will be 29 when his rookie deal ends. Granted it's not a given that Curry will evolve into an All-Pro or even be as good as Dansby, but at least you get him for most if his prime.

Bottom line- both need to produce at a high-level to justify their respective deals.

Spot on...

Aaron Curry - LB 6 year $60 million contract, $34 million guaranteed

You can't try to equate a FA's worth based on contracts given to high first round pick rookies.

You can't try to equate a FA's worth based on contracts given to high first round pick rookies.

From a financial standpoint you most certainly can. It's all about perceived value and ROI.

Look at is this way...

If I'm SEA in 2009 and I own the 4th pick in the draft and before hand I know Curry will be there when I pick OR pay FA OLB du jour the same about of money, I have a decision to make.

Some teams trade down b/c they don't like dishing out big contracts to unproven rookies. Some teams don't like paying FA b/c of paying for a commodity (player) for who's value may be inflated. Same principal in that it's all about how the money is spent and what the return inthe way of performance will be. Team assume that a top 5 pick will be a favorable impact on their success and be a Pro-Bowler; so they pay them big money. Same theory w/ FAs however the question is how will the 28 year old FA player perfom when they are in the 4th year and now 32...?

Last edited:

There's a difference between equating something and putting it in context.

Great post. I agree. I am not saying here but your evaluation was valid.
DW Toys

Why not? A kid not playing one down in the NFL surely has to have a sliding effect.
DW Toys

From a financial standpoint you most certainly can. It's all about perceived value and ROI.

Look at is this way...

If I'm SEA in 2009 and I own the 4th pick in the draft and before hand I know Curry will be there when I pick OR pay FA OLB du jour the same about of money, I have a decision to make.

Some teams trade down b/c they don't like dishing out big contracts to unproven rookies. Some teams don't like paying FA b/c of paying for a commodity (player) for who's value may be inflated. Same principal in that it's all about how the money is spent and what the return inthe way of performance will be. Team assume that a top 5 pick will be a favorable impact on their success and be a Pro-Bowler; so they pay them big money. Same theory w/ FAs however the question is how will the 28 year old FA player perfom when they are in the 4th year and now 32...?

The point I was trying to make is that I don't think FOs uses salaries of high first round picks as a barometer of how much a FA is worth. While it's true that Dansby may bring the same level of play as Curry, that doesn't necessarily mean that Dansby's worth the same contract Curry got on his rookie deal.

The point I was trying to make is that I don't think FOs uses salaries of high first round picks as a barometer of how much a FA is worth. While it's true that Dansby may bring the same level of play as Curry, that doesn't necessarily mean that Dansby's worth the same contract Curry got on his rookie deal.

Ok. Thats fine. We were commenting on two different angles on the situation. One of the player's and one from the teams.

I agree. Dansby is looking at current salaries of high-performing ILBs and assuming he is worth as much....

This is too much money for a good, but not impact player

Afailius - $20M guaranteed, $34.9M total.

Dansby 109 TT, 1 sack...Mayo 103 TT, 1.5 sacks in three fewer games playing on a bad wheel. :confused2:

bone-headed comparison.....how many INTS does mayo have? passes defensed?

thought so......the pats need LB's who can cover and they don't have any

bone-headed comparison.....how many INTS does mayo have? passes defensed?

thought so......the pats need LB's who can cover and they don't have any
You've convinced me, no Dansby.

Ok. Thats fine. We were commenting on two different angles on the situation. One of the player's and one from the teams.

I agree. Dansby is looking at current salaries of high-performing ILBs and assuming he is worth as much....

I could see BB.. making a move here.. I think that BB will surprise allot of peeps this year w/ him taking over the D .. I could see a very aggressive approach to FA.

I could see BB.. making a move here.. I think that BB will surprise allot of peeps this year w/ him taking over the D .. I could see a very aggressive approach to FA.

I agree, sign Dansby & Peppers! Just win baby! :bricks:

Dansby is a lot of money. Need to extend Brady & Wilfork and Bodden and Mankins too. Not sure if you can pay everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News