PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Danny Amendola admits to offseason groin surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would say that you should be an NFL talent evaluator, if you can truly consistently foresee the future so well.

Prior to 2013 Edelman had missed 25% of his career games, and over four years had averaged 179 yards and one touchdown per season. If you honestly foresaw a 100-reception, 1000-yard 16-game season, then bravo.

Woodhead was permitted to walk because the Patriots felt Vereen was ready to take over his role. In 2013 Vereen was injured in the first game and went on in-season IR, upsetting that plan. That was exacerbated by the incarceration of AH; the loss of those two players had a major negative effect on the passing game. If Woodhead went on IR after the third game of 2013 rather than the third game of 2014, with a total of 72 yards from scrimmage, would you honestly still feel the same way?

Blount took the Patriots offer to Pittsburgh and the Steelers beat it. Making offers that players can't refuse and other teams won't match is what has put teams like Oakland and Washington in trouble over past years; should the Pats emulate their business model? Other than one big game (which was mostly one long run) this year, Blount has 11 carries for 39 yards - and that's before considering how his numbers would likely dip running behind the New England offensive line.

I didn't say I consistently see the future. I'm only saying that I was in Edelman's corner long before 2013. If it wasn't for the board change, I'd happily go back and find my posts from 2012 about him easily being able to be our next big play maker in the slot. More over, he's a better returner than Welker is. Welker moved the chains, but how confident are we he still could have last season with nobody else on the field? I highly doubt Welker could have matched Edelman's 2013 production and would be tempted to argue that Welker seems to be more easily shut down when defenses don't have anything else to worry about than Edelman is.

Woodhead was also a major loss to this offense and I was pretty stunned when we didn't keep him.
3rd and 20? No problem. Give the ball to Woodhead.
3rd and 20 with Vareen? Problem.

What about over 100 catches in 2013. They still were not convinced. This teams record getting good wide receivers is awful.
How do you figure that?

The Patriots re-signed Edelman to a four-year extension after the 2013 season.

Also, on a side note: you are responding to quotes within the other person's quote. That makes it look like you are simply quoting the other person, and saying nothing. I fixed those quotes for you, but try to type your response below the entire quote to avoid that from happening. Thanks.

I didn't say I consistently see the future. I'm only saying that I was in Edelman's corner long before 2013. If it wasn't for the board change, I'd happily go back and find my posts from 2012 about him easily being able to be our next big play maker in the slot. More over, he's a better returner than Welker is. Welker moved the chains, but how confident are we he still could have last season with nobody else on the field? I highly doubt Welker could have matched Edelman's 2013 production and would be tempted to argue that Welker seems to be more easily shut down when defenses don't have anything else to worry about than Edelman is.

That is fine, you thought Edelman was our next big play maker but it wasn't THAT hard to see to be honest. He had some legitimate questions going into 2013 but he was pretty much locked in to be our starting WR. Amendola signing was more insurance than anything else.

Of course Welker couldn't match Edelmans 2013 totals, he's a lot older and has taken a lot more hits. You're just on the Edelman bandwagon because he is the fresh new player. Wes was a badddddd man for a lot of years for this team, let me see Edelman do it for as long as Welker did. I think Edelman is a stud and I don't doubt his abilities, I just want to continue to see it before I can agree with "Welker being more easily shut down" compared to Edelman.

Woodhead was also a major loss to this offense and I was pretty stunned when we didn't keep him.

True, Woodhead has been a huge loss for this team. What Woodhead did for this team crushes what Vareen does. Woodhead did the dirty work, if you needed him to run up the middle to get you a first down it was not a problem, you need a big 3rd down catch just chuck it to Woodhead and he would make guys miss. Vareen has a big play here and there but it's not worth the amount of drool these forums put out over him.

That is fine, you thought Edelman was our next big play maker but it wasn't THAT hard to see to be honest. He had some legitimate questions going into 2013 but he was pretty much locked in to be our starting WR. Amendola signing was more insurance than anything else.

Of course Welker couldn't match Edelmans 2013 totals, he's a lot older and has taken a lot more hits. You're just on the Edelman bandwagon because he is the fresh new player. Wes was a badddddd man for a lot of years for this team, let me see Edelman do it for as long as Welker did. I think Edelman is a stud and I don't doubt his abilities, I just want to continue to see it before I can agree with "Welker being more easily shut down" compared to Edelman.

True, Woodhead has been a huge loss for this team. What Woodhead did for this team crushes what Vareen does. Woodhead did the dirty work, if you needed him to run up the middle to get you a first down it was not a problem, you need a big 3rd down catch just chuck it to Woodhead and he would make guys miss. Vareen has a big play here and there but it's not worth the amount of drool these forums put out over him.

I agree. It wasn't hard to see. I'm not trying to apply psychic abilities to myself here. I'm simply wondering why, given how easy it was to see, IMO very early on, why didn't our coaches? The insurance policy argument might be correct but that doesn't make it suck any less. We should be signing players to compliment what we have, not signing players to use in case other players don't work out.

That's how you manage a roster in the bizaro world.

Must be why he's having such a hard time out there. When he's healthy he really is a good changer. I remember him single handedly beating the 49ers in San Fran couple years back. I don't know anything about groin injuries is this normal or perhaps Dola will never recover?

To Amendola's credit, he got into a fight in the 4th quarter on Monday. He may have been the only player outside of Jimmy G to care at that point.

Slater?

Amendola was pmsing

I posted during last season about waiting for the day for it to be reported he had surgery in the offseason. Not surprising. I hope somehow, someway he can get back to what he was when healthy with STL.

I agree. It wasn't hard to see. I'm not trying to apply psychic abilities to myself here. I'm simply wondering why, given how easy it was to see, IMO very early on, why didn't our coaches? The insurance policy argument might be correct but that doesn't make it suck any less. We should be signing players to compliment what we have, not signing players to use in case other players don't work out.

Your history is way, way off. Edelman wasn't on the roster when Amendola was signed, and was coming off a bad injury of his own and three straight seasons with 21 or fewer catches, including two seasons with single-digit catches and one where he played more cornerback than wide receiver. He tested the open market and no one wanted him when he showed up on crutches. Amendola wasn't an insurance policy for Edelman, Edelman was an afterthought who happened to blow up when Amendola got hurt last year, and Amendola hasn't been the same since that groin injury (and possibly never will be). And I'm not sure who's the person who everyone keeps saying isn't happy with Edelman, he's pretty awesome.

What does it matter? It was clear the Pats wanted to bring back Welker at a certain price tag, if Welker would of stayed then Edelman would of been Welker's insurance policy and in a similar current Danny Amendola role, but a lot better at it. Are you saying if Welker would of signed, the Pat's should of not signed Edelman?

Must be why he's having such a hard time out there. When he's healthy he really is a good changer. I remember him single handedly beating the 49ers in San Fran couple years back. I don't know anything about groin injuries is this normal or perhaps Dola will never recover?

His 80 yard TD grab was brought back due to an illegal formation on offense. They went on to tie that game. But I know what you are saying. It still doesn't change the fact he has had injury problems his whole career and can hardly be that game changer very often.

...yeah that really isn't true. I'm not convinced Woody even wanted to comeback to be Vereen's backup. After seeing what Vereen was capable of vs the Texans in that playoff game it's hard to not want to go with him so imo it's kinda hard to blame them from going with the younger Vereen. It does suck he didn't come back. If we had him now I'd have like to see Vereen become a wide out full time with Danny taking the Kevin Faulk role. Hell if James White was able to figure the position out they should really consider moving Vereen to wide out until the Dobson/KT thing get figured out. He's one of the best route runners on the team his hands are just too inconsistent.

Your history is way, way off. Edelman wasn't on the roster when Amendola was signed, and was coming off a bad injury of his own and three straight seasons with 21 or fewer catches, including two seasons with single-digit catches and one where he played more cornerback than wide receiver. He tested the open market and no one wanted him when he showed up on crutches. Amendola wasn't an insurance policy for Edelman, Edelman was an afterthought who happened to blow up when Amendola got hurt last year, and Amendola hasn't been the same since that groin injury (and possibly never will be). And I'm not sure who's the person who everyone keeps saying isn't happy with Edelman, he's pretty awesome.

What history is off? I don't care how many catches he had. He was making big time plays and 2012 Thanksgiving was a serious coming out party that should have put all of his previous big moments into perspective. I don't need to look at a single stat to know what I saw. Edelman was emerging as a super dynamic player before Welker went elsewhere. All you had to do was watch the games.

You make it sound like Edelman had no value whatsoever. The Pats weren't going to overpay so they let him test the market but his signing was pretty quick, it was clear they did want him and if he were on the team they had good use of him.

Did Amendola even start over Edelman in that game? Edelman was huge in that game for us and didn't Amendola get hurt in that game? To say Edelman blew up after Amendola got hurt is pretty suspect considering it was Week 1.

It is amusing how people who claim that Amendola's decline in performance due to injury was predictable also claim that Edeleman's leap in performance was predictable despite his injury-riddled past.

It is amusing how people who claim that Amendola's decline in performance due to injury was predictable also claim that Edeleman's leap in performance was predictable despite his injury-riddled past.

Well that is why I say Edelman had legitimate questions going into the 2013 season, anyone who follows the Patriots deeply should know Edelman had injury problems. The way I saw it is Edelman was insurance to Welker, and Amendola was insurance to Edelman when they signed him. I don't believe Amendola was meant to replace Welker, I think the Patriots want to keep that slot position fresh because it's such a huge part of this offense. I have a hard time believing Edelman blew up after Amendola got hurt, they were targeting Edelman a lot out of the gates in Week 1 2013. They had a plan in my eyes, they would of used both of them together for a good amount of snaps if Amendola was able to stay healthy, he obviously was not brought in to be on the bench, but if he HAD to move to Edelmans spot because of injury, then it wasn't going to be a huge problem.

And at least from my point of view that has been a bit unpopular in the past, Edelman's foot (that he broke, had a screw put in, and then broke again) scares me more than any of Amendola's injuries.

Groin injuries are the worst..i am guessing a torn muscle that wouldn't heal on it's own?

And at least from my point of view that has been a bit unpopular in the past, Edelman's foot (that he broke, had a screw put in, and then broke again) scares me more than any of Amendola's injuries.

You might be the only one here that worries more about that

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe