PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dan Wetzel :Roger Goodell's manipulation of Tom Brady's testimony leaves NFL on slippery slope

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then the two started communicating, numerous times over the next few days, including a face-to-face meeting in the quarterbacks room in Gillette Stadium.

To the NFL, this was proof of guilt.

That alone was dubious. Why would Brady and Jastremski be automatically guilty for talking after they were suddenly in the middle of a massive scandal and media firestorm?
No ****. A bunch of us here on PatsFans were railing on that point from the day the Wells Report came out. Weird how common sense is only now starting to apply, after months of the same people missing such an obvious point.

Another thing. Anybody catch the Wells testimony where he said the Ideal Gas Law was a theory? What a dipshit. It's a scientific law because it's been proven and there is no disagreement (at all). That's like saying 1 + 1 = 2 is a theory or that H2O is a theoretical formula for water.

I don't expect everyone to be a scientist but scientists have to know how to know something about other subjects. Is it really too much to ask for an educated man like him to understand what constitutes a scientific law or scientific theory? It's the entire basis for science. It's like asking a non-English major to understand what a comma is.
Gravity is a theory too, until you step off a cliff.

I've heard both here and on the radio that the goal of the case being heard by the judge isn't to decide whether Brady is innocent or guilty, but rather to decide whether the process for suspending him was fair and legal.

It would seem to me that if goodell lied about what Brady testified to during the appeal and then suspended Brady based on that lie, that would be a pretty good reason for the judge to throw out the suspension.

Then again I'm no legal expert

Gravity is a theory too, until you step off a cliff.

The funny thing is, even if it was "the ideal gas theory", Wells is still off base because he is referring to the colloquial "theory" rather than the scientific use of the word. He is a buffoon either way.

Last edited:
Here's my question to Wetzel - in the last 2 thirds of his story he makes a compelling case that the Pats did nothing wrong, Brady did nothing wrong and the league is made up of duplicitous thugs. HOWEVER in the first third he goes out of the way to imply nothing has been proof that the Pats/Brady are innocent, which, when you read the rest of the post, they clearly are. Very curious.
Yeah, I noted that as well. How do you prove innocence given the lack of a protocol for a true scientific analysis?

I reminds me of an old girlfriend way back that used to think I was cheating on her (I wasn't). It ends up that she was cheating on me.

I wonder about these guys who are so sure Brady is lying when Brady is so consistent. Maybe they have such a hard time believing because they have their own character flaws.

You hit the nail on the head. Only a cheater or a liar could fail to believe someone can be honest and have no ulterior motive. I had a GF many years back and was in the same situation as you. She would accuse me of cheating anytime I did anything that didn't involve her. Turns out she was cheating on me the whole time (I was not cheating).

In these peoples heads, lying and cheating is normal, and anytime something happens where it would be them cheating or lying if they were in the persons shoes they assume the other person has to be doing it too. They simply can't comprehend that people can be honest and faithful.

Basically, Roger Goodell is so caught up in his own world of lying, cheating, and hiding guilt, that he can't comprehend that there are others who are not doing it.

The funny thing is, even if it was "the ideal gas theory", Wells is still off base because he is using the colloquial "theory" rather than the scientific use of the word. He is a buffoon either way.

Exactly. People don't understand the strict criteria that must be met in order to even be considered a scientific theory.

I feel like this whole mess is going to make cameragate lose all credibility as well. This might be a full blown exoneration for the Pats.

It does kind of feel like we've been put in an asylum or a lot of people just escaped from one. I've seen numerous articles where the theme is "Patriots did nothing wrong, NFL framed them."

Then you read the comments and people say "Maybe if they weren't cheating..." I don't know how they could miss the point more.
I'm ok with being in an asylum as long as it keeps me away from the idiots.

I've been around for a long time and what I know is when someone claims to know when there are no strong facts, it reveals more about how that person would react under a similar situation.

Bingo! I've been saying this too. It's a peek into the minds of the accusers.

The funny thing is, even if it was "the ideal gas theory", Wells is still off base because he is using the colloquial "theory" rather than the scientific use of the word. He is a buffoon either way.

Yep. Lay people think a theory is a "hunch" and if it gets validated, it becomes a "law". Until then, it's "just a theory".

That's completely wrong.

Theories to a scientist are generally more fundamental than laws, though importantly theories and laws are different things that serve different purposes. Laws are generally quantifiable, providing a math-based prediction. Theories are fundamental lines of thought that often are impacted by many laws and bind them into a cohesive way of thinking. Like Mendel's laws of genetic inheritance are a part of the much more encompassing area of thought called the theory of evolution.

The ideal gas law is a law because it is a mathematical model with high predictive value. Why does it work? That is explained by kinetic molecular theory, that molecules of a gas bounce off of one another in elastic collisions (like billiard balls in 3D). If we double the temperature, they move twice as fast and collide with the container with double force. This double force exerted on the container results in double pressure. The theory tells the "how" and the law lets you know the "how much" of any one particular change to expect.

I've heard both here and on the radio that the goal of the case being heard by the judge isn't to decide whether Brady is innocent or guilty, but rather to decide whether the process for suspending him was fair and legal.

It would seem to me that if goodell lied about what Brady testified to during the appeal and then suspended Brady based on that lie, that would be a pretty good reason for the judge to throw out the suspension.

Then again I'm no legal expert

At a minimum, it should be yet another point in favor of "Goodell was evidently biased as arbitrator", which is enough for Judge Berman to vacate the suspension.

I feel like this whole mess is going to make cameragate lose all credibility as well. This might be a full blown exoneration for the Pats.

I wish there was an "I hope so" button. I'd like to see it, but I don't think it will get a lot of traction, even if it does happen. People should be asking, did Goodell and Company develop a bias towards the Patriots in January or have they always had it?

The last line,
"Perhaps more importantly, how does anyone in the NFL – owner, coach, player or fan – possibly trust the league office to investigate and rule on anything ever again?​
is why Roger Goodell can not remain as Commissioner.

At a minimum, it should be yet another point in favor of "Goodell was evidently biased as arbitrator", which is enough for Judge Berman to vacate the suspension.
and that Brady was never made aware of the punishment for non-cooperation which is required by the CBA. It feels like Kessler's case is strong. However, Judge Berman is the wild card and that makes me nervous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes