PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dale Arnold: NFL looking into crowd noise issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe this is technologically ignorant, but how could a skipping crowd sound be a CBS mistake? The announcers audio wasn't skipping. They're not on separate tracks, right?

Different sources of audio come from all over the stadium and are mixed down in the truck before being sent out to the networks. This was posted on an NFL site

Originally Posted by Big Time;623089
I work at a CBS affiliate and was the one here airing the game. Those audio hits were on networks end. That happens sometimes, and like a previous poster said, what you are hearing is several audio channels mixed. Sometimes one or more channels get dropped.

Here, I switched to network's backup feed when that happened and it fixed the problem.

Take away a 1st round pick!

If true, which I doubt, it would have to be far worse than the Patriots punishment as this did give a competitive advantage in the game. They would have to be excluded from the season and lose the pick

All I can say is, seeing Tony Dungy cheating is a sad day for the NFL.

Say goodbye to $750,000 and the loss of first round pick Colts fans!

Yahoo Sports has now reported on it as well:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/nfl_experts/post/Patriots-complain-about-crowd-noise?urn=nfl,52422

...Observers at the game said there seemed to be a "skip" in the sound during the game Sunday, which the Patriots won 24-20. That might confirm the long-held suspicion among many people in the NFL that the Colts play loud crowd noise to help distract opponents when the other team is on offense.

"We're aware of the accusations, but there has never been anything to substantiate it," Aiello said.

Kraft approached NFL Vice President of Security Milt Ahlerich after Kraft and his parents, Patriots owners Bob and Myra Kraft, left the Patriots locker room after the game.

Kraft was angry as he told Ahlerich the league needed to look into the allegation. Ahlerich is the same person who confiscated a videotape made by the Patriots during a game against the New York Jets in Week 2 that led to the Spygate controversy.

In addition, New England quarterback Tom Brady also commented on how loud it was in the RCA Dome.

"I don't know how you measure levels of being deaf, but we couldn't hear anything out there," Brady said....

Jonothan Kraft heard it at the game

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/nfl_experts/post/Patriots-complain-about-crowd-noise?urn=nfl,52422

Observers at the game said there seemed to be a "skip" in the sound during the game Sunday, which the Patriots won 24-20. That might confirm the long-held suspicion among many people in the NFL that the Colts play loud crowd noise to help distract opponents when the other team is on offense.

"We're aware of the accusations, but there has never been anything to substantiate it," Aiello said.

Kraft approached NFL Vice President of Security Milt Ahlerich after Kraft and his parents, Patriots owners Bob and Myra Kraft, left the Patriots locker room after the game.

Kraft was angry as he told Ahlerich the league needed to look into the allegation. Ahlerich is the same person who confiscated a videotape made by the Patriots during a game against the New York Jets in Week 2 that led to the Spygate controversy.

Yahoo Sports has now reported on it as well:

...Observers at the game said there seemed to be a "skip" in the sound during the game Sunday, which the Patriots won 24-20. That might confirm the long-held suspicion among many people in the NFL that the Colts play loud crowd noise to help distract opponents when the other team is on offense.
That obviously nails things down a lot. As does the statement that Kraft was upset. He wasn't watching TV ... if people at the game heard it, this is completely on Polian.

Oh please, oh please, oh please ...

All I can say is, seeing Tony Dungy cheating is a sad day for the NFL.

Say goodbye to $750,000 and the loss of first round pick Colts fans!

This if true, is much worse as they gained a competitive advantage in the game. Loss of entire draft at least.

This has got legs until the NFL makes a ruling. :D

I'd really like to see SI.com or espn.com pick up on this, what the hell are they waiting for?

Last edited:
ESPN radio was all over the officiating. Cowherd gave it 30 minutes this morning, blasting the officiating and he even put through some Indy callers trying to defend it so he could mock them. Schlereth agreed. So, let's back off a bit on the "we're persecuted" thing.

On the crowd noise, good for the NFL. I'm not looking to rush to judgment though, just as I didn't particularly care for the rush to judgment on us for camera gate.

I am entirely in favor of waiting to see the facts. If there was malfeasance, then the colts should be hammered and hammered hard. I think they will be, if it's true.

Another possible scenario is, if word is starting to filter down to the hacks in the media that something is going to happen, the drumroll will start about it being a "tempest in a teapot", and reiterating that "spygate" was a much, much worse offense.

Or worse yet - if it's "determined" that there was no such "cheating" occurring, the league will inform the masses that since the original complaint originated with Pat's fans, and hence by extension, the Patriots' organization itself, such efforts to bring disrepute to the league is a punishable offense, and will consequently deprive the Pats of their San Francisco draft pick, plus monetary damages, to be determined, to be levied against both Belichick and Kraft.

Just something to consider....

Jonothan Kraft heard it at the game

Observers at the game said there seemed to be a "skip" in the sound during the game Sunday, which the Patriots won 24-20. That might confirm the long-held suspicion among many people in the NFL that the Colts play loud crowd noise to help distract opponents when the other team is on offense.

I hope he's right. Not because I want to see the Colts guilty but rather if it's not ture Johnathan Kraft is going to have mud on his face. I would have preferred our ownership stay out of it. Let it work it's way out.

Since you're re-watching it (I almost recorded it..:mad: )...

This is subjective, but: Watch the crowd. In wide shots, does it appear that the crowd is actually making a ton of noise? This is really reaching, but when I was watching the game it would sound really loud. Then, they showed a cut-away and half the people were just sitting there. Other times, it seemed spot on. Just curious..

If I recall correctly, well into the 4th quarter the guys on the broadcasting booth were remarking along the lines (this is from memory), "It's amazing how the crows noise level varies in this building. It's really quiet when the Colts have the ball, so Manning can do his audiblizing, and when the opposition gets the ball, it's really, really loud in here."

Like I say, that's no where near a verbatim recounting of what was said, but I do recall it was being talked about.

at first i saw the silence displayed by CBS as the factor, but now ppl AT the game say they heard it too? no way, now i see it as almost defenetely true...

and if that happens, the colts should lose MORE then wut the pats did...b/c they get an immediate competitive advantage a lot greater then the pats with spygate...

lets SOUNDGATE begin

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore