PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dale Arnold: NFL looking into crowd noise issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Listen, I could easily be something with CBS's equipment.

But if it's not, then it'll have to be explained

I think if it shows up on other audio recordings, which it will if it was piped in, then any sound engineer will be able to isolate it.

Once it's isolated from multiple sources, then that's all the proof that is needed. The building didn't cause it, so the only other cause, would be amped crowd noise, case closed.

Exactly! And the NFL won't be able to lie about what caused it if it was actually piped in. Hundreds of qualified audio experts would just LOVE to make a name for themselves by proving the sound was piped in. So Goodell better be very, very careful how he goes about this investigation!

If it was as simple as a CBS mistake, we would have learned that by now. This hoopla started last evening and has continued on through the morning.

CBS could have put it to bed by coming out and saying it was a mistake on their end. The fact that they haven't means it probably wasn't. If we don't hear from CBS soon on the issue, we can assume it wasn't a problem on their end.

And the funny thing is that I commend that a-hole Polian for turning the heat up and piping in noise. I don't mind and it's part of the NFL game inside of the game. However, now that the Patriot's have been slammed/fined/gouged/etc. I would expect the same to happen to the Colts for a similar level of "cheating."

And the funny thing is that I commend that a-hole Polian for turning the heat up and piping in noise. I don't mind and it's part of the NFL game inside of the game. However, now that the Patriot's have been slammed/fined/gouged/etc. I would expect the same to happen to the Colts for a similar level of "cheating."

I agree, I don't think either example of the Colts "cheating" in these instances is a big deal. But if we are getting busted for another thing I don't really consider "cheating", then they should too.

I wonder if Goodell will make Polian hand over all of his MP3 files :rolleyes:

Why is it that nobody that was at the game (players, Patriots fans, New England area media, or national media) is talking about this? The only people talking about it are the ones that watched it on TV.

True and I would like to hear from another source at the game, it is too easy to jump to conclusions, and we should remember "innocent" until proven guilty.

Having said that I am intrigued that Aiello has already said that the NFL is investigating (does anyone have source for that?). I would assume that the NFL would check with CBS before launching an investigation, otherwise they would be criticized for folding to pressure.

Can we also please dispense with the notion that the game is played and coached by gentlemen? Everyone is trying to get an advantage, and the rules are their to limit them. If the Colts are guilty and get a small fine, then lets not try to roast them. Instead ask for review of the Pats punishment.

Let's not try to put this on Dungy. I highly doubt he would even be told about it. I'm sure he'd have a clue, but it still would not be his decision or responsibility.
Excuse me?? Dungy is the one who is coming out with the moral high ground being critical of the spygate incident... He says nothing of what Polien has done..that Polien physically attacked a Jets intern and that Polien openly called for Flutie's leg to be broken..not a peep from Mr Moral... Can you imagine if BB had done either?? Be consistent or be accused of being a phony...His saying not even a peep shows he is one..and this?? If he says nothing..we know what he is made of...

If it was as simple as a CBS mistake, we would have learned that by now. This hoopla started last evening and has continued on through the morning.

CBS could have put it to bed by coming out and saying it was a mistake on their end. The fact that they haven't means it probably wasn't. If we don't hear from CBS soon on the issue, we can assume it wasn't a problem on their end.

The non-response from CBS will speak volumes if it continues. It is EASILY determinable if the reverberation was just a CBS digital audio glitch by listening to other seperate audio recordings of the stadium noise made during that play.

Polian is an intimidating bully in the league on the compensation committee. He's always puching for rule changes specifically designed to benefit the Colts, not the league.

If nothing comes of this, I can see BB promising the league that it will be unrelenting in its quest for 19-0 EVERY year until he dies.

And this will be different from how Belichick has approached every season in what way?

True and I would like to hear from another source at the game, it is too easy to jump to conclusions, and we should remember "innocent" until proven guilty.
Tell that to the Peter Kings et al who keep saying that there is more to the videogate spying and all the rumors about audio signals and miked lineman. I figure they started this. And if your at the game the odds are that you wouldn't notice it even if did happen, when I'm at Gillette the people around me and I are making too much noise ourselves to notice if "other" noise is piped in.

Having said that I am intrigued that Aiello has already said that the NFL is investigating (does anyone have source for that?). I would assume that the NFL would check with CBS before launching an investigation, otherwise they would be criticized for folding to pressure.

Can we also please dispense with the notion that the game is played and coached by gentlemen? Everyone is trying to get an advantage, and the rules are their to limit them. If the Colts are guilty and get a small fine, then lets not try to roast them. Instead ask for review of the Pats punishment.

The source was WEEI a few moments ago, He said he spoke to Aieloo directly and he is investigating.

Lets not miss 2 things.

Regardless of if this was done or not, it moves the discussion towards investigation of Polian and the Colts, and also it increases alot of antipathy the whole League must have against RatMan for breaking ranks and starting this whole thing.

The non-response from CBS will speak volumes if it continues. It is EASILY determinable if the reverberation was just a CBS digital audio glitch by listening to other seperate audio recordings of the stadium noise made during that play.

Yup, and not only is it easy to determine (at this point), CBS itself would've known the instant it happened if it was them or not.

Last edited:

Checking with CBS is investigating.

Does that include the Manilow ones?

J D Sal
Not sure but I would hazard a guess that if Polian used my IRiver instead of his Ipod to pipe this music in he'd not have had any trouble ;)

Why is it that nobody that was at the game (players, Patriots fans, New England area media, or national media) is talking about this? The only people talking about it are the ones that watched it on TV.

When I played football, I never even noticed the crowd. The only time I even realized there was a crowd was after the game.

I never played in the NFL or anything remotely close, but in relative terms, I doubt they would notice something ancillary at the time...It's generally outsiders, etc. who dissect things that see it.

/miniscule addition over

It's in the best interest of the NFL to keep the good vs evil thing going. I'd imagine they will do what it takes to keep the Colts clean.
The media's not even acknowledging the bad reffing, so what does that tell us.

How many audio sources is CBS piping in at a time?

You've got the announcers, you've got the field mikes. That's it. It's obviously not the announcer mikes, that's for certain. So I guess there could have been a problem with the field mike, but the thing is, you could clearly hear cheering other than the sounds of the skipping. Heck, you could hear the ref's whistle. So, that proves that the field mic wasn't skipping either.

So, assuming CBS only has two audio signals going during the play, that would absolutely prove this was not a CBS problem.

ESPN radio was all over the officiating. Cowherd gave it 30 minutes this morning, blasting the officiating and he even put through some Indy callers trying to defend it so he could mock them. Schlereth agreed. So, let's back off a bit on the "we're persecuted" thing.

On the crowd noise, good for the NFL. I'm not looking to rush to judgment though, just as I didn't particularly care for the rush to judgment on us for camera gate.

I am entirely in favor of waiting to see the facts. If there was malfeasance, then the colts should be hammered and hammered hard. I think they will be, if it's true.

Again...at 4:49 in the 4th...Manning gets sacked and the crowd cheers. Seems kinda odd doesn't it?

Since you're re-watching it (I almost recorded it..:mad: )...

This is subjective, but: Watch the crowd. In wide shots, does it appear that the crowd is actually making a ton of noise? This is really reaching, but when I was watching the game it would sound really loud. Then, they showed a cut-away and half the people were just sitting there. Other times, it seemed spot on. Just curious..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back