PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Crable: Redshirt?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a picture of him in shorts wearing Patriots gear and while his lower legs are still small, his quads look really well developed and strong. I can't find the image to post, but I think he might just have half skinny legs, and you're not really going to make a guy's lower leg that much bigger.

In lieu of the relevant photo, I'll post another fun one.

super-crable-man.jpg

Rushing the passer indeed.

I agree.

When your legs are that long, it is almost impossible to have huge, protruding calf muscles. There is plenty of muscle there, but it has plenty of room and is stretched vertically.
He would look odd if his calves were huge and bulgy. It would not fit his body structure.

Kind of like how Popeye's forearms look

Last edited:
Not trying to be a jerk, but has there been any instance where the Pats have "redshirted" a rookie by sticking them on IR or having them inactive every game and then that player ended up succeeding?

Seems like most guys they try this with are fringe players who never amount to much.

I'd much rather Crable be getting live reps in 2008. Plus, with the age of our LBs he might have to do more by mid-season.

Not trying to be a jerk, but has there been any instance where the Pats have "redshirted" a rookie by sticking them on IR or having them inactive every game and then that player ended up succeeding?

Seems like most guys they try this with are fringe players who never amount to much.

I'd much rather Crable be getting live reps in 2008. Plus, with the age of our LBs he might have to do more by mid-season.

I don't see it as a viable option. Plus, since there is no "red-shirting" in the NFL, they would have to be put on IR. I am sure this has been done before... but there has to at least be some kind of injury, no matter how small. The Pats wouldn't take a chance at violating the rules like that for a fringe player.
Thats what the Practice squad is for, and the another team can just grab the guy, as long as he is on their gameday roster for at least 4 games I think, which wouldn't be a problem with a team grabbing Crable.
For instance, Gerrett Mills would have been the perfect person to "red-shirt". Since this is not an option, they tried to clear him on waivers, so he could join the practice squad temporarily. The Vikings snatched him up much to BB's Dismay. I think he had an agreement with them and they renegged, so BB grabbed one of their players. I can't remember who it was. I think it was an LB???

Perhaps Crable will get his feet wet as a designated pass rusher. Thomas has the versatility to slide inside, be it to rush the passer, cover the TE or a WR in passing situations.

With Seymour, Thomas, Green, Vrabel and Crabel in a 5 man rush, Crable may get some sacks thanks to single coverage when Vrabel and 93 are double covered.

Let Wojcik run a Frankenstein experiment on the kid for 9 months, and when Crable shows up at 260 next spring it would be like bringing in an additional 1st rdr next season.

I don't really see Crable getting much (if any) regular playing time in '08 given his inexperience and size deficiencies. Maybe his time would be best served on the sidelines this season, taking a skinny step back IOT take 2 strong steps forward into the future.

If he doesn't get on the field, it's because he's not good enough. It has NOTHING to do with his weight. There's no one on the roster that has the speed off the edge that he does. There's no reason why he can't line up at OLB on 3rd and long and be a special teams monster. Obviously, in college, coaches have to weigh the player's potential contribution against his losing a year of eligibility. There is no such concern in the NFL - there's no benefit to the team or the player of "redshirting."

Not sure what you mean by "prejudice". 241 lbs is 241 lbs. McGinest was a bean pole when he showed up, but still weighed 250+. I have high hopes for Crable, and I don't want to see him injured early due to some inadequate weight training under the Carr-wreck regime at Michigan.

I think Belichick already suscribes to this theory. The players who started right away or played alot right away were physically mature players. Crable does not seem to be that way .... Mayo definitely does.

When speaking of Crable, Belichick made a point to say, that, despite appearances, Crable has a strong lower base. You do not redshirt a third round draft choice. and besides, remind me of what Woods has ever done except contribute significantly to a Super Bowl loss.

Crable could use some building up of his lower body, but his upper body strength is very solid, 29 reps at the combine. What are the best exercises to bulk up/strengthen a lower body anyways? Power squats, running, dragging tires?

Squats, front squats, dead lifts and leg press.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes