PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Corey Dillon to retire!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Corey came here with a bad rap. He had a tough life growing up. He made some mistakes when he was young. But from the time he left Cincinnati until this day, he has been nothing but a solid citizen.

In 2003 he was the best back in the league - although he finished short of leading the league in rushing by a few yards to Curtis Martin, he was a better back that year as he got his yards in one fewer game. He is high on the list of all time rushers in an era which emphasized short passing instead of rushing. In Cincinnati, he rushed for more yards in a single game than anyone who came before him. Even last year, he was almost unstoppable near the goal line.

Corey, I applaud you for how far you've come and for how much you've accomplished. You've more than earned my respect. Good luck after graduation.

I will always remember that while he only played 3 years here, he scored almost half his career TDs as a Patriot. (38 of 82)

Last edited:
didnt his agent say he wants more carries? he said he can still be a starter somewhere in league yet no1 signs him

Exactly - retirement saves face for Corey who didn't get the immediate interest he wanted or expected.

I believe his "retirement" does nothing to change his availablity should teams suffer a training camp injury and want additional depth in pre- or regular season.

If anything maybe his agent will use it to justify decent signing price if and when injuries cause teams to take an interest in him. "Well my client is retired. If you want him you're going to have to make it worth his time"

Thanks for the memories and good luck in retirement....

Just for the record, let's see if he files papers for retirement or if it's a ploy to sign with a team after training camp... (sorry, that's the cynic in me)

That's too probable to qualify you as a cynic. I feel the same way and think we'll be proven correct, barring a strange and injury free season for RBs

I think some people have the wrong idea about players at the end of their career. I for one would have loved to see corey play another even if for another team because he was one of my favorite players for 10 years or so. I still hope somehow he chanes his mind and plays another, and it would be nicce if he did it here....but if not Thanks corey for the hard nose running and physical football....its the stuff that makes this game great.

Good luck in retirement Corey.

It was great to have a true running game in NE the likes of what we experienced with Curtis Martin and a season of Robert Edwards. I truly hope he didn't feel he was forced out when the Pats drafted Laurence Moraney and hope he doesn't hold any ill will against the Patriots for the move. In all fairness, it seemed that Belichick used a fair rotation with Dillon getting the first set of carries.

Unfortunately, teams are in the business of winning (some are just better at it) and carrying two backs with one being older and likely less reliable is the smart move by most teams. Martin and Dillon represent an era that is passing in the use of running backs.

In fact, I hate to see guys go when they can still perform better than those still in the game or at least serve a crucial purpose on the team. Dillon is that guy and to a degree so is Drew Bledsoe. I guess it is hard to be the guy and see loyalty shift to the up and coming replacement, but I hope it isn't pride that is driving away Corey, Drew and even Jake Plummer.

Betcha money had something to do with it.. but without regard, he played great for us and was a solid citizen.. new appreciation for the old time stiff arm.

He was a nothing but a gentleman here, in Cincy he was kinda creepy.. what does that say about Cincy???

I will always remember that while he only played 3 years here, he scored almost half his career TDs as a Patriot. (38 of 82)

Good point. This really is a team game. He had a great career anyway, but it makes you wonder what might have been had he been with another franchise earlier. And it makes you wonder of how many other players the same could be said. Thanks, Corey. That ring is forever. You were supported, appreciated and admired here.

can you imagine.retireing at 32. hes still a kid. not in running back years! but in our years. hope to see him in a pats uniform one more time!! gonna miss ya corey, come back any time, your always welcome. good luck with your future :rocker: :rocker:

This could be a non-retirement, retirement. Once his body has rested and healed and the pigskins start flying, he may be back. This happens too often now, so I'll hold off in wishing him a good retirement until I know he has actually has retired.

What was the cap hit for cutting him and can the Pats get that credited if he does retire?

Although I appreciate what Corey did here and the fact that he was a model citizen for the most part while he was here, I still never really felt comfortable with him on our team. I still have troubles looking past some of his past indescretions in particular his domestic abuse charges.

I cannot diminish his contribution to our 2004 Super Bowl run, but he will never hold a special place in my heart like Bruschi, Brady, Vrabel, Seymour, McGinest, etc. or even guys who did us wrong in the end like Law or Vinatieri. I guess I never got too emotionally invested in the guy.

By the way, I expect there is a good chance Dillon unretires late in training camp and signs on somewhere. I think he is pretty much done. He couldn't last into the second half in most games with us. He should really just retire.

P.S. If anyone was pushing for one more year, I am betting it is Dillon over his agent. Agents work for the player and the agent only gets 3%. Three percent of the veteran minimum is $20-25k. Not chump change, but if an agent is spending his energy to push a player back for one more year for $20k, he doesn't have many clients.

What was the cap hit for cutting him and can the Pats get that credited if he does retire?

No, they cut him and the dead cap is set at $4.4M (although that can be split after June 1 saving $2.5M on this year's cap and counting $1.9M against the 2008 cap should the Pat's choose to).

Rob0729 said:
P.S. If anyone was pushing for one more year, I am betting it is Dillon over his agent. Agents work for the player and the agent only gets 3%. Three percent of the veteran minimum is $20-25k. Not chump change, but if an agent is spending his energy to push a player back for one more year for $20k, he doesn't have many clients.

Only I think it was the agent and he wasn't pushing for minimum. Anyone would sign Corey for veteran minimum, including us. He knew when last season ended he was no longer an every down back. He said to his teamates he was done. His agent simply reminded him in this cap environment he might be able to get stupid money as a short yardage or goaline back. He could have remained here had he waived his $3M option bonus yet again, but either he didn't want to go through another season of physically abusing himself for $2.5M or we didn't think he was even worth that price. His agent apparently believed he could find another suiter for $2.5M+ and/or Corey could be remotivated for an offer at or potentially above that level. It never materialized. Corey's agent lost out on $165,000 in commissions when we cut him, and he's pretty obviously been driving the not done train on this one.

Last edited:
No, they cut him and the dead cap is set at $4.4M (although that can be split after June 1 saving $2.5M on this year's cap and counting $1.9M against the 2008 cap should the Pat's choose to).

Only I think it was the agent and he wasn't pushing for minimum. Anyone would sign Corey for veteran minimum, including us. He knew when last season ended he was no longer an every down back. He said to his teamates he was done. His agent simply reminded him in this cap environment he might be able to get stupid money as a short yardage or goaline back. He could have remained here had he waived his $3M option bonus yet again, but either he didn't want to go through another season of physically abusing himself for $2.5M or we didn't think he was even worth that price. His agent apparently believed he could find another suiter for $2.5M+ and/or Corey could be remotivated for an offer at or potentially above that level. It never materialized. Corey's agent lost out on $165,000 in commissions when we cut him, and he's pretty obviously been driving the not done train on this one.

At Dillon's age and recent injury history, Dillon's agent is a moron if he thought anyone would offer more than the veteran minimum with potentially some incentive bonuses.

Dillon doesn't want to be a back up. I think the money was irrelevant to a point since he knew he would have to take a pay cut to stay with the Patriots if he wasn't cut. He thought someone else would give him a shot at being a starter or at least get more than the 10-15 carries a game the Pats were only willing to give him if he stayed. I think the reason why he asked to be cut.

Dillon's agent, Steve Feldman, owns TGA Sports Agency which represents nearly 30 players including three other Patriots (Rodney Harrison, James Sanders, and Bam Childress). I think he is savvy enough to know that no one is going to invest more than the veteran minimum for a 32 year old RB who has shown signs of age and wear and tear. I'm sorry, but I don't see the agent pushing Dillon back to play because he sees another $2-3 million payday for Dillon. It may be the case, but Feldman seems to be more knowledgeable than that.

Glad he's retiring while he can still walk without a limp. He helped secure the third Super Bowl, cementing the Dynasty. For that, he will always be remembered by me.

I'm part of that crowd that thinks that Dillon is not officially done yet. He will play again this season, it just might not be from Week 1.

I think he will certainly garner much interest as running backs get injured in Training Camp and during the season. I'm sure he will entertain a few offers, even if it isnt with the Pats. I think he may want to rejoin the Pats when he sees how dominant we are.

I still think the only reason Corey might give it another shot is he was reminded by his agent that one more good, (not great) year as a starter catapults him past 4-5 players including Jim brown and makes him a good hall of fame prospect.

I know everyone thinks only money motivates players, (and agents!!), but for a great player who has felt, (rightfully IMO), disrespected through his career, perhaps the chance to get enough carries to log 1,000-1,100 yards and see his name in Canton is the only reason he would put himself through another season.

CD was a MONSTER in '04 over 1500 yards and was a huge player in the post season. injuries did him in the better part of the last two years and he did have some fumbles, but he still did a great job for us. he was never a distraction or a problem for the patriots like so many expected after what happend with cincy

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference