PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Congratulations to Mr. Peyton Manning on winning this seasons MVP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Career-wise, yes. Now, no. The thing that separates Brady from nearly every other quarterback is his lack of mistakes. He throws the fewest INTs despite putting up huge production. But Rodgers is right there with him.

The thing that puts Rodgers over the top: he throws a better mid to deep ball than anyone else, throws it on the run, throws it hard, and throws it with pinpoint accuracy. While Brady is wiser than Rodgers and better at reading defenses, Rodgers is still the best in the game today. He opens up the entire field.

Look, I love Brady. I think he is the greatest quarterback of all-time, but at this point in his career, he does not throw the ball well with an arc. Whether it's 25 yards or 40 yards, the receiver rarely runs under the ball in stride. Maybe it's partly a WR problem, but I know there are a lot of open receivers way down the field the last few years that Rodgers hits between the numbers, and that is sometimes while backpedaling.

Maybe I'm nitpicking Brady, but you have to nitpick when you have Rodgers in the conversation because Rodgers has no weakness.

You say it's "not that close" regarding Rogers being the best player in the NFL out of one side of your mouth and out of the other side you admit that you have to nit pick" in order to give Rogers the nod.

Aaron Rodgers is the best player in the NFL, and it isn't that close. We'll see if the media can slobber on Manning one more time before 18 hangs up the cleats. I'm guessing they can and will.

I didnt want to chime in, but this is just foolish...who is this? Rob Parker?

I didnt want to chime in, but this is just foolish...who is this? Rob Parker?

RP has to be the worst sports writer ever, his hate for the city of boston is unparalleled and the wierd part is he puts Boston sports/sportsstars last in every category and then has no explanation for why he thinks they suck,

And of course he lost his man cherry to Rodgers so no doubt he loves him a lot

Gotta love the Patriots falling below Denver in the ESPN power rankings.

Given Denver's easy win over Cincy and the Patriots's comparable troubles with the Rams (giving up a bomb on the first series????!!), you can understand it I guess, especially in light of the Patriots horribly bad 4th quarter against the Broncos.

Gotta love the Patriots falling below Denver in the ESPN power rankings.

Given Denver's easy win over Cincy and the Patriots's comparable troubles with the Rams (giving up a bomb on the first series????!!), you can understand it I guess, especially in light of the Patriots horribly bad 4th quarter against the Broncos.

Yeah, seriously. I'm pretty pessimistic about the Patriots, and even I would put them above the Broncos.

Who cares, id have the Pats at 32 if possible.

I don't need mental ball washing to make me feel good about my team. Makes their win sweeter a la Giants, who were ranked something like 20 last year at some point

You say it's "not that close" regarding Rogers being the best player in the NFL out of one side of your mouth and out of the other side you admit that you have to nit pick" in order to give Rogers the nod.

My mistake. More accurately, Rodgers is the MVP and it isn't even close based on his performance this year. Just assessing the quarterbacks in terms of their abilities, it's Rodgers in a closer race over Brady.

My mistake. More accurately, Rodgers is the MVP and it isn't even close based on his performance this year.

I have no idea which football games you've been watching, and that may be why you're posting the way you are (not meant as an insult, but as a point about what you've seen v. what others have seen), but the MVP race is wide open. Heck, a quick Google (Well, Yahoo!, since I avoid Google) of "nfl mvp first half 2012" brings up all sorts of names for it when you do click-throughs. NFL.com, for example, has a panel roundup of 8 members, and it's split 5 for Peyton Manning and 3 for Matt Ryan. Adam Schein (Fox Sports) has Eli as the MVP. Other mentioned candidates on some of those first page pass-throughs include Brady, Watts and Harvin.

Last edited:
I have no idea which football games you've been watching, and that may be why you're posting the way you are (not meant as an insult, but as a point about what you've seen v. what others have seen), but the MVP race is wide open. Heck, a quick Google (Well, Yahoo!, since I avoid Google) of "nfl mvp first half 2012" brings up all sorts of names for it when you do click-throughs. NFL.com, for example, has a panel roundup of 8 members, and it's split 5 for Peyton Manning and 3 for Matt Ryan. Adam Schein (Fox Sports) has Eli as the MVP. Other mentioned candidates on some of those first page pass-throughs include Brady, Watts and Harvin.

It almost seems like you are giving credence to an argument that Eli Manning (12 TDs, 9 INTs) is the league's MVP while dismissing my vote for Aaron Rodgers (25 TDs, 4 INTs.) In fact, I'm quite sure that Eli even being on here demonstrates mainstream insanity in the criteria for a league MVP. In almost every game, he has played poorly enough to keep the score close before his "clutch" drive at the end. Could you imagine how many comebacks Brady would have if he was always holding his offense back into a scoring range of 21-24 points?

There is no question that Aaron Rodgers has been the most valuable player in the NFL to date. Which games have I been watching? I have Sunday Ticket and watch a lot of them. Rodgers is the exact same player he was last year, throwing incredible passes into tight windows despite the defense putting their safeties into coverage by virtue of a punchless running game. But in addition to the great passes, he still makes very, very few mistakes. Without Greg Jennings for most of the season, he's still on pace to throw over 45 TD passes.

Manning, Ryan, and Brady are playing great football. They just don't have the athleticism of Rodgers, which has become taken for granted. I don't believe arm strength is a major factor in quarterbacking, but when you have all of the other skills, it helps to be able to make throws that other quarterbacks cannot. Likewise with scrambling; I don't think it's a strength for a run happy QB, but Rodgers can elude a pass rush with the best of them (I'd put Brady up there, but Brady can't throw on the run like Rodgers.)

I think the stats favor Rodgers, as he trails Manning by a hair in passer rating despite having some major protection issues, but the eye test clearly shows Rodgers as still the class of the NFL.

It almost seems like you are giving credence to an argument that Eli Manning (12 TDs, 9 INTs) is the league's MVP while dismissing my vote for Aaron Rodgers (25 TDs, 4 INTs.) In fact, I'm quite sure that Eli even being on here demonstrates mainstream insanity in the criteria for a league MVP. In almost every game, he has played poorly enough to keep the score close before his "clutch" drive at the end. Could you imagine how many comebacks Brady would have if he was always holding his offense back into a scoring range of 21-24 points?

There is no question that Aaron Rodgers has been the most valuable player in the NFL to date. Which games have I been watching? I have Sunday Ticket and watch a lot of them. Rodgers is the exact same player he was last year, throwing incredible passes into tight windows despite the defense putting their safeties into coverage by virtue of a punchless running game. But in addition to the great passes, he still makes very, very few mistakes. Without Greg Jennings for most of the season, he's still on pace to throw over 45 TD passes.

Manning, Ryan, and Brady are playing great football. They just don't have the athleticism of Rodgers, which has become taken for granted. I don't believe arm strength is a major factor in quarterbacking, but when you have all of the other skills, it helps to be able to make throws that other quarterbacks cannot. Likewise with scrambling; I don't think it's a strength for a run happy QB, but Rodgers can elude a pass rush with the best of them (I'd put Brady up there, but Brady can't throw on the run like Rodgers.)

I think the stats favor Rodgers, as he trails Manning by a hair in passer rating despite having some major protection issues, but the eye test clearly shows Rodgers as still the class of the NFL.

I'm not giving credence to anything but the observation that the MVP race is not clearly being won by Rodgers, which is what you claimed.

Well, also, your comment "There is no question that Aaron Rodgers has been the most valuable player in the NFL to date." is just crazy talk. Rodgers probably wouldn't be a top 5 candidate right now, nevermind a runaway winner.

Last edited:
damn him....

LyeHu.png

I'm not giving credence to anything but the observation that the MVP race is not clearly being won by Rodgers, which is what you claimed.

Well, also, your comment "There is no question that Aaron Rodgers has been the most valuable player in the NFL to date." is just crazy talk. Rodgers probably wouldn't be a top 5 candidate right now, nevermind a runaway winner.

Truth again.

The constant media ball washing of Peyton Manning is just sickening. I literally had to turn off the Denver/Bengals game for a time last week. It was like each pass completion was more awe inspiring than the last. It was like no else in the history of the NFL had ever completed passes like Peyton Manning. :rolleyes:

It was like Tebowmania all over again. Massive over hype. Now this isn't Manning's fault, but ESPN, CBS, Fox, NBC, and the NFL network are in full manic Manning mania mode (how's that for some alliteration). Its all Manning all the time, and everyone else is in the league is secondary. Its pathetic that the media is so bereft of talent and originality that they can't get past the monomania of a single story. Last yeat it was Tebow, this year its Manning and WE are the ones being held hostage by it.....even though there are so many other good stories that are happening.

There are some teams that I fear come the playoffs, but Denver isn't one of them for a lot of reasons that should be obvious given the last 3 meetings of the 2 teams.

Personally I hate the MVP award. I mean how can the most important individual award not include the playoffs?

And its ridiculously rigged anyways. Peyton Manning getting it in 2008 and 2009 shows that clearly.
In 2008 Rivers had a better ratio, more yards and a better QB rating. Brees broke 5000 yards that season.

And then 2009 should have been Brees without any question. He had the highest QB rating and a far better td/int ratio.

Last edited:
I know JJ Watt is good..but he is not a MVP. Take him away and you still have a very good team in houston. Now take Brady away and the pats are F'ed

The constant media ball washing of Peyton Manning is just sickening. I literally had to turn off the Denver/Bengals game for a time last week. It was like each pass completion was more awe inspiring than the last. It was like no else in the history of the NFL had ever completed passes like Peyton Manning. :rolleyes:

It was like Tebowmania all over again. Massive over hype. Now this isn't Manning's fault, but ESPN, CBS, Fox, NBC, and the NFL network are in full manic Manning mania mode (how's that for some alliteration). Its all Manning all the time, and everyone else is in the league is secondary. Its pathetic that the media is so bereft of talent and originality that they can't get past the monomania of a single story. Last yeat it was Tebow, this year its Manning and WE are the ones being held hostage by it.....even though there are so many other good stories that are happening.

There are some teams that I fear come the playoffs, but Denver isn't one of them for a lot of reasons that should be obvious given the last 3 meetings of the 2 teams.

I can put up with the knob slobbering that goes on when he's actually on the field; it's the constant chatter about and cuts to him when he's sitting on the sidelines that kill me. One could definitely be replaced by more thoughtful and useful conversation/information, but the other is actively detracting from the game. Wasn't there an article where these guys are given talking points that they have to hit a certain number of times in a given time period?

Peyton makes mark with 4th-quarter rallies - Stats & Info Blog - ESPN

How on earth did Peyton Manning have a "QBR" iof 94.7, one of the highest games in the NFL this season, despite throwing two interceptions late in the game and letting the Bengals take the lead? According to the ESPN reasoning, his incredible 4/4 performance when trailing in the fourth quarter was enough for one of the best performances of 2012. I would think that one INT should be enough to disqualify you from a 90+ game, let alone two in the second half.

Amazing, they even try to skew stats to make him look like the greatest ever. Had a quarterback just not thrown those INTs, the rating would have been lower since the "comeback" situation never would have existed. Peyton pulled an Eli, and he comes out just like his brother with a heap of praise.

Peyton makes mark with 4th-quarter rallies - Stats & Info Blog - ESPN

How on earth did Peyton Manning have a "QBR" iof 94.7, one of the highest games in the NFL this season, despite throwing two interceptions late in the game and letting the Bengals take the lead? According to the ESPN reasoning, his incredible 4/4 performance when trailing in the fourth quarter was enough for one of the best performances of 2012. I would think that one INT should be enough to disqualify you from a 90+ game, let alone two in the second half.

Amazing, they even try to skew stats to make him look like the greatest ever. Had a quarterback just not thrown those INTs, the rating would have been lower since the "comeback" situation never would have existed. Peyton pulled an Eli, and he comes out just like his brother with a heap of praise.

I Always thought this one was weird, Bradshaw threw 2 TDs and 3 INTs in his 4rth SB and still ended up with a QBR of 101.9

Total numbers
Terry Bradshaw-14cmp, 21att, 66.7%, 309YDs, 2TDs, 3INTs, 14.79Y/A, 101.9qbr

INTs almost take a back seat over efficiency.

Last edited:
I know JJ Watt is good..but he is not a MVP. Take him away and you still have a very good team in houston. Now take Brady away and the pats are F'ed
Conversely you put JJ Watt on the Patriots D and it's a beast unit. You're underselling Watt's dominance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back