PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Comments and Observations from the Jets game

Status
Not open for further replies.
i cant wait to re -watch the game its going to be tough to watch but i want to see how many open guys they are when brady throws the picks

Probably because he doesn't trust his corners to get a jam and still be able to stay on their man. If one guy misses his jam, that's one receiver who is going to be wide open.

Yes, but it's a strategy he's employed frequently against offenses for whom the TE is a principal weapon, e.g., the Colts, Bolts, Chiefs. Keller may not be at the level of Clark, Gates, Gonzalez, but giving the way he was the primary target in the shredding of the Pats' 3rd down defense when the game was still going more-or-less the Pats way, he should have been treated like them. Hit him at the line with a LB, and turn him over to a safety or bracket him. Of course, this impacts how you approach the rest of the defense, but since the middle of the field was getting the safety support anyways, it's not like we would have hung Butler out to dry any more. :rolleyes:

Cant disagree with anything Deus has written. I would only add a couple of things. Firstly I believe that negative momentum shift, and the inability to absorb it is another factor that has resurfaced from last year. It wasn't just the fourth quarter it seemed that there was no looking back from the last minute Jets' FG in the first half. We lost composure on the Offense, and initiative on the D. And where was the no 25 from last week, Chung just disappeared. I did worry about heart and passion prior to game 1, now it looks like it was only a temporary suspension of my misgivings.

The second is all conjecture, so I have no facts to back my point other than it could explain the frequent throws to Moss. I suspect that TB and RM got into a hole by trying to teach the Jets a lesson (playing the disrespect card - how could the Jets question one of the best QB/WR tandems of modern times after all). As I said there is no basis for it other than the observation that TB was trying a little too hard. Other possible explanations is that WW was playing hurt (head but hopefully not the knee) - I was surprised that he was allowed back in after the hit by Smith. With Wes gone in the 2nd half, momentum and the refs buoying up the Jets (quite a few bad holding calls missed) Brady did not slow things down but rushed his throws to all targets.

The Jets wanted it more - but I still think they are not as good as they believe themselves to be. I cant wait for the return in Foxboro when a few of the homefield advantages play to the Pats favor. I also want TB to bounce back from his poor second half performance against the Dolphins rather than the Bills, but hopefully they can analyze what went wrong and prevent the melt downs in the future.

And what are you basing this theory of yours on?
I already talked about the offensive playcalling in other posts, and I'm sure you've already seen all the arguments anyway. Not going to get into it anymore. I will say that just based on the last two games, I think O'Brien has made strides from 2009. The second half of the Jets game, however, was just too predictable. That's my main problem with the play calling.

In regards to pencilneck's post, they usually have a safety hit tight ends at the line, not a corner. Safeties tend to be a lot stronger than corners, and tight ends slower than receivers, so that might have some thing to do with it. I'd like to see tighter coverage as well, but it's not the answer to the secondary's problems. There are certain receivers who thrive off the jam (big guys like Andre/Fitzgerald). You have to be able to cover with a cushion to have success in the NFL.

Edit: sorry, I get what you're saying, pencilneck. I would've liked to see them hit Keller like they did with Clark and Gonzalez, too. Not sure why they didn't try it this time. They may not trust Chung or Page with that role yet, or it simply wasn't part of the game plan. We will probably never find out for sure.

Last edited:
1.) I'm assuming that Welker was struggling due to the blow to the head. That's the only thing that makes sense to me. The play where he stopped on a pattern led to an interception on a throw to Moss. That's not typical Welker behavior, and that changes the game.

Could it be that the jets plan was to neutralize welker at all costs, even with illegal hits. I think there was a game with Pittsburgh two years ago, I think, where welker was neutralized, and the steelers turned a close game into a rout. I think the NFL should look into this seriously. Go Pats.

Could it be that the jets plan was to neutralize welker at all costs, even with illegal hits. I think there was a game with Pittsburgh two years ago, I think, where welker was neutralized, and the steelers turned a close game into a rout. I think the NFL should look into this seriously. Go Pats.

It's possible, but Welker only played 39 of the 61 offensive snaps, and he made that very uncharacteristic blunder.

Last edited:
Its easy to predict play calling when you can't run. Can't blame Obie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST