PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Comments and Observations from the Jets game

Status
Not open for further replies.
18.) Brady seemed to develop the 'binky' mentality in the second half. Either the lesser lights stopped getting open, or Brady needs to break that habit.

This pisses me off beyond belief. He hits one bomb and he falls in love with it after that.

Deus, I think I basically agree with 100% of your statements. I have nothing to offer to this thread other than my agreement.

According to Tom Curran, watching from the press box, players other than Moss were getting open in the 2nd half.

Listening to Wilfork on WEEI, and trying to write it down as best as I can:

"When we needed plays it was like we were searching for someone else to make it instead of taking it upon ourselves"

"to get out there and just let them run wild.... it bothers me"

"We knew what they was gonna do. We knew they was gonna come back with that play and we was in a position and we missed tackles and sometimes we was in a position and sometimes we wasn't in a position"

"We knew exactly what they was gonna run. We just couldn't stop it."

**** Wow! He just talked about hitting the panic button and guys that stopped believing in what they were running. That's not a good sign for the near future. ****

"I know in that specific defense, the one play that I thought could hurt us, hurt us. But we talked about how we could play and how we could stop that and when we didn't do it, that really hurt because, you know, I saw it"

"We've been having problems with sub run fits, sub runs, all year going back to last year.... talked about it. Couldn't execute"

"We play so many different defenses that it's impossible for you not to know what the guy next to you is doing. I don't care if it's your first year or your tenth year, it's impossible. So, when you have a question, I think you can turn to anyone on that defense and ask him"

"People hurt us on stuff we've been hurt with in the Past. Ok, if we don't fix it, for instance sub runs, that's sticking with us until we stop it. 3rd and long, guess what? They may run a draw just to see if we can stop it, because we haven't shown we can stop those things. Until we can stop those things consistently, we gonna be in for a long, long year."

"We just got to be more alert out there on the field, as a unit. If we do that, we'll be ok."

"We had to meet force with force. I think at times we did, and at times we didn't. The times we didn't, it hurt us. It really hurt us, so it is what it is. I'm very disappointed"

Mr. Wilfork is not a happy camper, and he's putting the blame on the players for blowing execution of things that they'd already worked on. That certainly would seem to undercut the complaining about the playcalling.

Last edited:
They seemed to execute the 10 yard cushion pretty well.

Mr. Wilfork is not a happy camper, and he's putting the blame on the players for blowing execution of things that they'd already worked on. That certainly would seem to undercut the complaining about the playcalling.

I don't know that it does--if Wilfork is going to be a leader, he's got to put it on the players, not the coaches.

I don't know that it does--if Wilfork is going to be a leader, he's got to put it on the players, not the coaches.

When a player is telling you that the plays in question were talked about in advance, he's telling you that it's an execution issue. When he's giving you something as specific as "sub run", he's telling you where the problem is located. If we wanted to, we could go back and look at the film to see exactly which player(s) he was calling out without naming.

When that player talks about not meeting force with force, that's all about the players and not at all about the coaches.

Last edited:
Listening to Wilfork on WEEI, and trying to write it down as best as I can:

"When we needed plays it was like we were searching for someone else to make it instead of taking it upon ourselves"

"to get out there and just let them run wild.... it bothers me"

"We knew what they was gonna do. We knew they was gonna come back with that play and we was in a position and we missed tackles and sometimes we was in a position and sometimes we wasn't in a position"

"We knew exactly what they was gonna run. We just couldn't stop it."

**** Wow! He just talked about hitting the panic button and guys that stopped believing in what they were running. That's not a good sign for the near future. ****

"I know in that specific defense, the one play that I thought could hurt us, hurt us. But we talked about how we could play and how we could stop that and when we didn't do it, that really hurt because, you know, I saw it"

"We've been having problems with sub run fits, sub runs, all year going back to last year.... talked about it. Couldn't execute"

"We play so many different defenses that it's impossible for you not to know what the guy next to you is doing. I don't care if it's your first year or your tenth year, it's impossible. So, when you have a question, I think you can turn to anyone on that defense and ask him"

"People hurt us on stuff we've been hurt with in the Past. Ok, if we don't fix it, for instance sub runs, that's sticking with us until we stop it. 3rd and long, guess what? They may run a draw just to see if we can stop it, because we haven't shown we can stop those things. Until we can stop those things consistently, we gonna be in for a long, long year."

"We just got to be more alert out there on the field, as a unit. If we do that, we'll be ok."

"We had to meet force with force. I think at times we did, and at times we didn't. The times we didn't, it hurt us. It really hurt us, so it is what it is. I'm very disappointed"

Sub runs - Is Wilfork caling out the DE"s or the LBers?

They seemed to execute the 10 yard cushion pretty well.

As long as BB is coaching the Pats, the corners will play the bend don;t break soft zone defense.

LT ran all over their sub packages in the second half. Get the video and judge for yourself IMHO.

ETA: Who did the analysis w/screencaps for last week's game? LT's runs would be great material this week.

ETA2: With 7:38 remaining in the 3rd, and the Pats in a sub package, Jets guard Brandon Moore drive blocks a Pats linebacker with the initials JM and absolutely swallows him up. Result: LT picks up 14 yards.

ETA3: With 1:59 to go in the 3rd, and the Pats in a sub once again, never mind the obvious missed tackle, but notice another Pats linebacker gets sealed by a tight end. LOLz. Oh mercy me. P.S.: A 31-yard pickup for LT.

Last edited:
This pisses me off beyond belief. He hits one bomb and he falls in love with it after that.

Maybe Brady had some gambling debts that he needed paid off this week. Why else would he "throw" the game like that? (No pun intended.)

I'm going to have to go back and look at the plays again. However, the part about "going back to last year" seems to imply Guyton and/or Mayo.

Maybe Brady had some gambling debts that he needed paid off this week. Why else would he "throw" the game like that? (No pun intended.)
LOL. I love this whacky stuff. Maybe he saw the line and bet Gisele's bank account against the Pats this week. :p :D

a few notes/questions that I have.

- offensively -

1) why not involve Tate a little more? Give him a couple of more options on WR screens, etc. He is clearly somebody that can make plays in space, and I think this offense could use some play making from the WR spot opposite of Moss. I mean, def coordinators must know that that spot absolutely will not produce for the Pats by now, huh?

2) I love Moss and I'm not going to blame him, but I think it's time to stop treating him as a mega superstar that we have to get the ball to and instead treat him as a normal #1 WR. It seems that the passes where it might be close in coverage, Brady gives him the benefit of the doubt and targets him with the ball and hopes Moss will make one of his spectacular plays.

3) if you have a hot hand in TE hernandez, surely you can find a couple of more plays for him? he was electric when he touched the ball, and myself and friends were yelling to find a way to get him the ball a little more (remember the old TE screens we used to run?) I'm sure the Jets were keeping an eye on him, but game planning/adjustments should be able to get him a few more touches.

4) this is the experienced, veteran group of the team. heading in the season, I was thinking we would score lots of points and perhaps lose games because of our young defense, which would be a little more expected. The season is obviously still young, but our offense needs to find a rhythm and hopefully get the run game going a bit more consistently.

- defensively -

1) butler had a rough day (and perhaps I'm just a homer), but I think he will fix some of those problems and be good for us. he's always in good position, but isn't showing any ball skills. teams will continue to test him, and I think he has some great opportunities to make them pay for it. hopefully...

2) I wish we had one good veteran player in either the LB group or the secondary. man, i miss rodney

I'm going to have to go back and look at the plays again. However, the part about "going back to last year" seems to imply Guyton and/or Mayo.

Or Wright and/or Pryor or TBC. It could also be a communication issue implicating anyone and everyone. Wilfork looked like the problem on a couple of those plays, when he went way upfield and left a big gap inside. Maybe he was expecting a more forceful fill.

I thought TBC looked like a strength in our sub-rush defense, setting a strong edge and simultaneously helping with the tackles on some plays.

a few notes/questions that I have.

2) I wish we had one good veteran player in either the LB group or the secondary. man, i miss rodney

Rodney or Bruschi! Or someone like them. I don't think Wilfork (I know he's a lineman) carries himself the same way but it looks like he's trying to be the defensive leader. Spikes might be the leader one day but he's still a rook. Mayo might be a good player but he doesn't seem to have the necessary qualities to be the leader of the D. There's really no one else that can take that role, that I can see. Great thread with very rational thoughts from all posters. It takes a day to calm down and look at things rationally sometimes.

Or Wright and/or Pryor or TBC. It could also be a communication issue implicating anyone and everyone. Wilfork looked like the problem on a couple of those plays, when he went way upfield and left a big gap inside. Maybe he was expecting a more forceful fill.

I thought TBC looked like a strength in our sub-rush defense, setting a strong edge and simultaneously helping with the tackles on some plays.

Well Wright's always been known as a heady player and is a starter, so I don't expect that it's him, and TBC is TBC, which means that he's not very strong against the run no matter what the package. Pryor is someone I didn't think of, though.

a few notes/questions [about getting the ball to Tate, Hernandez more and Moss less]

Good observations on the offense. I think they all point to the same issue - how Brady is working his reads, how deep he takes them, where he looks first. The answer seemed too often to be read Moss first, maybe peek at Welker, then bail and throw to Moss and hope. He needed to be more patient out there, not specifically going underneath, but taking time for that third read more often. Of course, then he increases his chance of getting strip sacked, like on their last offensive play of the game, but I digress. I do think Brady looked to Hernandez a fair amount, and that's why he was so successful there.

Give the offense time to develop to make use of the other receiving threats as primary reads, rather than the encyclopedia of plays where Brady looks to Moss first , Welker second, and only then considers the three other guys in the pattern. Some of this will come with Brady developing trust in his new receivers to get open and make a play; some will come from new plays designed to take advantage of those new players (leading to more trust). Hopefully, more trust in the line will lead to Brady taking third reads more consistently. (He's said himself that you never get time for a fourth read, so I won't count much on that.)

I was curious if Moss had ran a Welkeresque short route and Welker had gone deep, if this would have gotten anything done.

Was it back when we were on the road for the perfect season that Moss was pulling down long balls in double coverage at times?

We see this a lot, and it's not just tight ends who get free releases. The team gives them to the receivers, too. It's probably one of the reasons that people get frustrated about the "10 yard cushion", and I personally think it's one of the reasons that the Colts have been beating the Patriots in head-to-head matchups. New England doesn't interrupt timing patterns, which allows opposing QBs to throw the ball on time rather than having to adjust.

I'd love to hear BB expound on his reasoning behind allowing so many free releases, but I don't think he's going to be forthcoming with it anytime soon.
Probably because he doesn't trust his corners to get a jam and still be able to stay on their man. If one guy misses his jam, that's one receiver who is going to be wide open.

When a player is telling you that the plays in question were talked about in advance, he's telling you that it's an execution issue. When he's giving you something as specific as "sub run", he's telling you where the problem is located. If we wanted to, we could go back and look at the film to see exactly which player(s) he was calling out without naming.

When that player talks about not meeting force with force, that's all about the players and not at all about the coaches.
The defensive play calling was fine. The offensive play calling was not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back