PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Combine Talk: Running Backs

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, but there were people on this board predicting Shonn Greene would run a 4.4. He ran around a 4.63.

The RB class is respectable, and their on-field performance is probably better than their workouts would show. But there are no Darren McFaddens, Chris Johnsons, Rashard Mendenhalls or Felix Jones' throwing up amazing numbers this year.

I'm one of the people that takes all of the 40 times with a grain of salt. I was the one that linked to the article showing the times run last year were virtually impossible. It was also a different track than this year's. I also wrote that you have to compare these guys against each other rather than previous year's.

I'm 100% convinced that the times were funky last year.

This was a bad day for the Patriots in that neither Moreno or Wells had a great day. I think it's now more likely that both could go after 23 which means that there is a good possibility that 2 more players the Patriots have interest in will go before their pick.

I don't think the Pats should look at a RB before rd 4, there's not much out there this year. I'd be very happy with Maroney, Morris, Fred Taylor, Faulk, and Evans with BenJarvus on the practice squad.

I'm one of the people that takes all of the 40 times with a grain of salt. I was the one that linked to the article showing the times run last year were virtually impossible. It was also a different track than this year's. I also wrote that you have to compare these guys against each other rather than previous year's.

I'm 100% convinced that the times were funky last year.

I would agree with you. The times last year seemed faster than actual, and the times this year seemed slower than actual. I agree that they can't be compared, only that this year's times seem disappointing because everyone will compare them to last year's, rightly or not.

I think that Moreno and Wells will show much better at their pro days, and that these numbers will be discounted. They do show how fast some of the WRs were this year, posing 4.3 and even high 4.2 numbers on this track.

Question - With a 4.59 40 time does Beanie Wells fall to the second round? If so, should the Pats take a chance on him?

Why bother when there's a day two pick just waiting for the Pats:

Code:
[B]Cedric Peerman[/B], Virginia, 5'9 1/2  216    4.45 [U][B]40[/B][/U]   27 [U][B]Reps[/B][/U]  40" [U][B]Vertical[/B][/U]
Among RBs, he had the fastest 40, second best vertical, 4th best bench reps.

You can find him in this thread: http://www.patsfans.com/new-england.../210057-will-we-draft-running-back-page2.html

People do keep saying this isn't a great RB class, but watching these guys in college this year, I'm very impressed by this year's class. Shonn Greene, even though he runs a 4.6, is a very good back, with great wiggle. Donald Brown has great balance, vision, speed, power. Lesean McCoy, good third down back, shifty and fast. We know about Moreno and Wells. These guys are really decent backs.

No, but there were people on this board predicting Shonn Greene would run a 4.4. He ran around a 4.63.

The RB class is respectable, and their on-field performance is probably better than their workouts would show. But there are no Darren McFaddens, Chris Johnsons, Rashard Mendenhalls or Felix Jones' throwing up amazing numbers this year.

4.63? That's actually not bad. I think that drops him to round 3. It's a lot easier to spend a 2nd day pick on a RB than a 1st day pick. I think we're gonna like what we get from him if we pick him up. His power looks to be the real deal.

Why bother when there's a day two pick just waiting for the Pats:

Code:
[B]Cedric Peerman[/B], Virginia, 5'9 1/2  216    4.45 [U][B]40[/B][/U]   27 [U][B]Reps[/B][/U]  40" [U][B]Vertical[/B][/U]
Among RBs, he had the fastest 40, second best vertical, 4th best bench reps.

You can find him in this thread: http://www.patsfans.com/new-england.../210057-will-we-draft-running-back-page2.html

Impressive performance, but Peerman suffered from fumbleitis this past season and had a recurrence in the Senior Bowl: Cedric Peerman*|*Virginia,*RB*:*2009 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile

I'm more impressed with Andre Brown. Had some injuries, but weighs in at 224 and catches a lot of passes.

Actually Donald Brown had a great day, he had the highest vertical jump(41.5"), 2nd best broad jump(10'5"), best 60 year shuttle(11.30), 2nd best 20 yard shuttle(4.10), 8th in the 3 cone(6.93), and 5th in the 40 (4.48), but he didn't participate in the bench press. He definitely raised his stock

Actually Donald Brown had a great day, he had the highest vertical jump(41.5"), 2nd best broad jump(10'5"), best 60 year shuttle(11.30), 2nd best 20 yard shuttle(4.10), 8th in the 3 cone(6.93), and 5th in the 40 (4.48), but he didn't participate in the bench press. He definitely raised his stock

The thing with D Brown is that lifting weights is the strongest part of his physical assets. I posted the video in the earlier running back thread of him squatting 600 pounds. He is a workout fanatic, I'm sure he presses a lot of weight.

Impressive performance, but Peerman suffered from fumbleitis this past season and had a recurrence in the Senior Bowl: Cedric Peerman*|*Virginia,*RB*:*2009 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile

I'm more impressed with Andre Brown. Had some injuries, but weighs in at 224 and catches a lot of passes.

Speaking of the 'other' Brown, I saw him running. He looked pretty smooth and performed just as well in the 40 as Donald Brown. I think with Donald Brown's recent hype, he is creeping into the 2nd round and some team might even think of taking him late 1st. I dunno, I just don't see RB as a huge need for most teams this draft. But Andre Brown will be available 2nd day is my guess and he runs just as fast. I'd have to do research on him to make up my mind on if he is worthy day 2 material.

Ok found him.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=159652

I'm concerned about his lack of productivity at the college level. Was he in a dual back system and getting less touches or was his college system pass happy and rarely handed off to the RB? I do like the increased productivity I see in his catching game from year to year though.

Last edited:
This was a bad day for the Patriots in that neither Moreno or Wells had a great day. I think it's now more likely that both could go after 23 which means that there is a good possibility that 2 more players the Patriots have interest in will go before their pick.

I don't think the Pats should look at a RB before rd 4, there's not much out there this year. I'd be very happy with Maroney, Morris, Fred Taylor, Faulk, and Evans with BenJarvus on the practice squad.

Someone pointed out in another thread that lawfirm wont be elidgible for the Practice Squad next year I think because of the number of games he was active for or on the 53 for.

So you might want to come up with a few 6th, 7th, undrafted RBs if you want a PS RB.

Last year's RB class proved themselves at the next level. This year is a drop off. Actually, we can double check these guys at their pro-days. I think the guys here are a dime-a-dozen.

I'm concerned about his lack of productivity at the college level. Was he in a dual back system and getting less touches or was his college system pass happy and rarely handed off to the RB? I do like the increased productivity I see in his catching game from year to year though.

Today I heard Davis mention a few injuries limited his touches in college.

One guy who caught my eye was Javarris Williams, RB, Tennessee State. The kid is thick, 5'10 -219 is pretty much the ideal build for a tailback.

A few more bigger RBs than I initially thought Wells, Greene, Jennings, Brown, Foster, Hill, etc.

I would agree with you. The times last year seemed faster than actual, and the times this year seemed slower than actual. I agree that they can't be compared, only that this year's times seem disappointing because everyone will compare them to last year's, rightly or not.

And vertical scores were the opposite last year, all bizarrely low. It definitely pays to compare within-year.

EDIT: last year, only 1 o-lineman jumped as high as 30.5" while this year a dozen did.

Last edited:
And vertical scores were the opposite last year, all bizarrely low. It definitely pays to compare within-year.

EDIT: last year, only 1 o-lineman jumped as high as 30.5" while this year a dozen did.

I remember last year either the apparatus was set up incorrectly, or they guys running the drill were measuring incorrectly. Everybody was 6-8 inches less than expected -- as was evidenced by their pro days.

Could it be that the NFL is using a different system to time the draft prospects in the 40 this year? Electronic timing tends to result in slower times than hand timing.

Today I heard Davis mention a few injuries limited his touches in college.

He was in a tandem with Reggie Meriweather, then a trio with Meriweather and CJ Spiller, then a tandem with Spiller.

To each his own, or you didn't read this thread:

Will we draft a running back ?

I had a chance to watch Peerman quite a bit the last two years. Not a player. He'll look good doing the athletic tests, but it just doesn't show on the field. Tentative runner, plays considerably slower than he runs in shorts, and puts the ball on the ground an alarming amount. I don't want him in camp. Even as a UDFA, he'd be taking up a valuable spot that could be used elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes