PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

College quarterback who will make it in the NFL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike the Brit

Minuteman Target
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I think that this year would be a great year for the Patriots to draft a quarterback. We have a number one in his prime and Cassel has obviously established himself as a number two. Drafting a quarterback is always a gamble, so it would be nice to do it when there is as little pressure as possible.

Since arriving in the U.S. I've had a chance to watch some college football. What I've seen has brought it home to me how different the college and NFL games are, especially in what's wanted in a quarterback. I haven't seen anyone yet who convinced me -- certainly not Brady Quinn, Chris Leak or Troy Smith. Even Chad Henne (who looked streets ahead of Quinn in the Michigan-Notre Dame game -- having Mario Manningham helps!) makes too many bad throws for my taste.

Thoughts?

You're going to think I'm crazy, but the best QB I've seen is Will Proctor of Clemson. He's a 5th year senior who was stuck behind an inferior but much hyped prospect for years (Charlie Whitehurst's dad was an NFL player so he came to the program with an NFL pedigree). The guy has a gun, has touch, is cool in the pocket and seems to have some intelligence. Still early, but I've watched a number of his games and came away impressed every time. To my eyes better than the fidgety, spastic Quinn, and Troy Smith, who benefits from the best supporting cast in the country. He just had a bad game against Wake Forest, but he did beat Florida State in a game that saved his coach's job. Also Tyler Palko Of Pittsburgh seems to have rebounded from his awful 2005. I don;t know whether his gunslinging mentality meshes with the BB philosophy. Will Proctor as 2nd day pick would probably make a good 3rd string QB, though I wonder if one is needed (unless they plan on trading Cassel soon for a high pick).

Last edited:
PonyExpress said:
though I wonder if one is needed (unless they plan on trading Cassel soon for a high pick).
I have no opinion on sleeper QB for the draft but I think this year is perfect for a QB, he could be the #3 QB for a year behind Cassel. Then we trade Cassel before the 2008 draft while he's still under contract and the new guy has a year under his belt, maybe ready to be #2 or, if not, we can sign a vet for a year. Regardless, drafting a QB in 2007 would get the process started for him a year before I expect us to trade Cassel.

PonyExpress said:
You're going to think I'm crazy, but the best QB I've seen is Will Proctor of Clemson. He's a 5th year senior who was stuck behind an inferior but much hyped prospect for years (Charlie Whitehurst's dad was an NFL player so he came to the program with an NFL pedigree). The guy has a gun, has touch, is cool in the pocket and seems to have some intelligence. Still early, but I've watched a number of his games and came away impressed every time. To my eyes better than the fidgety, spastic Quinn, and Troy Smith, who benefits from the best supporting cast in the country. He just had a bad game against Wake Forest, but he did beat Florida State in a game that saved his coach's job. Also Tyler Palko Of Pittsburgh seems to have rebounded from his awful 2005. I don;t know whether his gunslinging mentality meshes with the BB philosophy. Will Proctor as 2nd day pick would probably make a good 3rd string QB, though I wonder if one is needed (unless they plan on trading Cassel soon for a high pick).

Thanks. I watched a few minutes of Clemson-Wake Forest but didn't pay attention to the Clemson QB.

I guess my thoughts are to look for someone who has the necessary size and power but, above all, doesn't make bad throws. The tempo of college football makes it easier to cancel a bad play with a good one. The risk-reward ratio in the pros is different. That's the number one virtue of Tom Brady, of course!

No to Palko for the Pats.

Proctor I don't know enough about.

I'm infatuated with Jamarcus Russell. His arm is amazing, he has good mobility, size, and intangibles. He needs to work on making reads in zone coverage and not locking onto one reciever.

PonyExpress said:
You're going to think I'm crazy, but the best QB I've seen is Will Proctor of Clemson.

I'm probably crazier, because the guy I really like is Sam Keller, who was benched by Arizona St, then left the school. He's now at Nebraska, but probably won't come out for the draft.

dryheat44 said:
I'm probably crazier, because the guy I really like is Sam Keller, who was benched by Arizona St, then left the school. He's now at Nebraska, but probably won't come out for the draft.

NOT crazy. You're right he probably won't come out and a good thing. I want to see him in an all-star game too down the road......

first of all, i dont understand your reasoning of drafting a QB this year...we may not need to draft one for a another 3-4 years.

i watch all of Michigan's games, and Chad Henne is not consistent at all, it's not as hard as you think to throw the ball deep to Manningham all the time, that's how almost all of his touchdowns have come from. he is not even a very good college quarterback let alone, the NFL. i think if he comes back to Michigan next year, has a good year. someone will pick him up in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Troy Smith won't be a good NFL QB. Brady Quinn won't be available in the later rounds when we would draft a QB. (unless you were thinking we would take on in the first round, which would be a complete waste considering he wouldn't play for 4+ years.)

Chris Leak may be avaialable in the later rounds (3-5) depending on how he does the rest of the season. but even if he was WE HAVE NO USE FOR HIM right now. Maybe in 2-3 years when Tim Tebow comes out of college, maybe we'll snag him.

Underoath said:
Maybe in 2-3 years when Tim Tebow comes out of college, maybe we'll snag him.

And I don't understand that...based on what? Now if he backs up 2 Heisman Trophy winners then I'll see the value....

Underoath said:
first of all, i dont understand your reasoning of drafting a QB this year...we may not need to draft one for a another 3-4 years.

i watch all of Michigan's games, and Chad Henne is not consistent at all, it's not as hard as you think to throw the ball deep to Manningham all the time, that's how almost all of his touchdowns have come from. he is not even a very good college quarterback let alone, the NFL. i think if he comes back to Michigan next year, has a good year. someone will pick him up in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Troy Smith won't be a good NFL QB. Brady Quinn won't be available in the later rounds when we would draft a QB. (unless you were thinking we would take on in the first round, which would be a complete waste considering he wouldn't play for 4+ years.)

Chris Leak may be avaialable in the later rounds (3-5) depending on how he does the rest of the season. but even if he was WE HAVE NO USE FOR HIM right now. Maybe in 2-3 years when Tim Tebow comes out of college, maybe we'll snag him.

I'm not suggesting betting the farm on someone who will be heavily hyped and taken at the top of the draft like Quinn (and good luck to whoever bets the farm on him!) Nor am I thinking of a replacement for Brady :)rolleyes: ). But we like to keep three quarterbacks. Now would be a good time to get another one, precisely because we don't urgently need him.

well what round do you suggest we take one? i mean, you're not making any sense. why do you want us to QB in the 1st or 2nd round if he's not going to play? that is pointless, you don't waste that high of a draft pick just because you want a 3rd QB.

Underoath said:
well what round do you suggest we take one? i mean, you're not making any sense. why do you want us to QB in the 1st or 2nd round if he's not going to play? that is pointless, you don't waste that high of a draft pick just because you want a 3rd QB.

I think you misread his original post. I think he's advocating taking a QB as a point of luxury because we have a #1 and #2 Qb already. He was looking for thoughts on that...

Underoath said:

At no point did I suggest taking a quarterback in the 1st or 2nd round. Please read my posts before taking issue with them. And would it be too much to ask you to be polite and constructive even if you disagree? I don't come here to be told I'm an idiot -- I've got plenty of people at home to do that. ;)

Underoath said:

Brady Quinn wouldn't be available unless the Pats were willing to give up ALL their first-day picks. . . . and I'm not even sure if that'd be enough.

I have to say, though that I like Mike's suggestion. . . . I think a day two pick on a good but unheralded QB would be a very good idea--although I'm not sure whether, if I were Belioli, I'd do it this year or next year.

While Brady has been extremely durable thus far, I still believe the Patriots should have 3 QB's on the roster.

#1 - the starter - undisputed.
#2 - reliever - able to come in and execute the offense fairly well and be able to run the scout team during practice.
#3 - a developmental guy.

Cassell has grown rather nicely ove rthe past year and a quarter. I feel fairly confident that if Brady goes down, he can come in and run the offense without embarrasing either himself or us. I'm not sure he can be counted on to make plays, but I feel good about him growing to the pointeventually.

What we need is that developmental guy that will know the playbook and in the event of an emergency be able to execute the base offense. I'm looking for a day 2 guy with upside but maybe a flaw that can be corrected. A guy like Leak, Kolb or Brink would fit that description.

As for Proctor, while his arm could be stronger, at the FSU game he showed me that he can read defenses and execute the offense. My crew is doing a Clemson game later this year, I plan on scouting him and their CB extensively.

Clonamery said:
And I don't understand that...based on what? Now if he backs up 2 Heisman Trophy winners then I'll see the value....
well, just in case you can't read, i said 2-3 years. in that time, Brady will be about 33 or 34. good time to draft a new guy if you ask me.

Ochmed Jones said:
While Brady has been extremely durable thus far, I still believe the Patriots should have 3 QB's on the roster.

#1 - the starter - undisputed.
#2 - reliever - able to come in and execute the offense fairly well and be able to run the scout team during practice.
#3 - a developmental guy.

Cassell has grown rather nicely ove rthe past year and a quarter. I feel fairly confident that if Brady goes down, he can come in and run the offense without embarrasing either himself or us. I'm not sure he can be counted on to make plays, but I feel good about him growing to the pointeventually.

What we need is that developmental guy that will know the playbook and in the event of an emergency be able to execute the base offense. I'm looking for a day 2 guy with upside but maybe a flaw that can be corrected. A guy like Leak, Kolb or Brink would fit that description.

As for Proctor, while his arm could be stronger, at the FSU game he showed me that he can read defenses and execute the offense. My crew is doing a Clemson game later this year, I plan on scouting him and their CB extensively.

Thanks, Ochmed -- I look forward to hearing your opinions. My hunch is that there may be better players at smaller schools/on worse teams. Perhaps you can think of someone flying under the radar (although not as far under as Matt Cassell!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back