PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chris Houston on Sirius NFL Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Patriots are kind of funny in evaluating d-backs. Tight hips? Not a problem. Short enough to qualify for reduced fares? Step right up. Small school with low level of competition? It's all cool. Questionable ball skills? Weak in run support and tackling? Ah, hold on a minute.

Ellis Hobbs draft report excerpts: "Has a good nose for the ball and is especially active in run support...Solid tackler who will break down, face up, wrap and secure, showing aggression making the hit...Made very good improvements with his hands in 2004, extending away from the frame to snatch and pluck the ball..."

James Sanders draft report excerpts: "Good open field tackler…Ball-hawk type with that “go up and get it” attitude to the thrown pass…looks natural looking the ball in, extending for the pigskin at its high point with hands extended away from the frame…Plays with good functional strength and hits with explosion as a tackler…

Guss Scott draft report excerpts
: "Plays with good awareness and instincts…Quick to react to the ball and anticipate the pass, consistently making good decisions…Has very good hands and ball skills, doing a good job of extending to get to the pigskin away from the body’s frame…Active in run force, coming up quickly while taking good angle..."

Dexter Reid draft report excerpts: "Quick to recognize and locate the ball…Plays alert and is very aware of the receiver’s drop in the zone…Tracks the ball properly and readily adjusts to it when combating for the pigskin…Catches the ball in his hands and away from his body…Will meet the ball carrier with aggression at the line of scrimmage..."

In short, there appears to be a clear profile for a Pats-drafted DB. It's not a physical profile, it's an on-the-field profile. Good hands, strong in run support, excellent field awareness and read-and-react/ball-tracking skills. Speedster or no, Chris Houston just doesn't seem to fit the profile.

Ok, your with the rest of us. :)

NFLdraftscout is a pay site so I'm unable to access all of their info. I'm pretty sure they had the Pats taking Houston in their mock recently though.

I subscribe to NFLDraftscout.com and can say that, while their analysis are very good, they are like anyone else and are right about 70% of the time. I don't believe they've gotten a Pats Draft pick right in the last 3 years, though.

Their most recent Mock Draft had the Pats taking Anthoney Spencer at #24 and Sidney Rice at 28.

The Patriots are kind of funny in evaluating d-backs. Tight hips? Not a problem. Short enough to qualify for reduced fares? Step right up. Small school with low level of competition? It's all cool. Questionable ball skills? Weak in run support and tackling? Ah, hold on a minute.

Ellis Hobbs draft report excerpts: "Has a good nose for the ball and is especially active in run support...Solid tackler who will break down, face up, wrap and secure, showing aggression making the hit...Made very good improvements with his hands in 2004, extending away from the frame to snatch and pluck the ball..."

James Sanders draft report excerpts: "Good open field tackler…Ball-hawk type with that “go up and get it” attitude to the thrown pass…looks natural looking the ball in, extending for the pigskin at its high point with hands extended away from the frame…Plays with good functional strength and hits with explosion as a tackler…

: "Plays with good awareness and instincts…Quick to react to the ball and anticipate the pass, consistently making good decisions…Has very good hands and ball skills, doing a good job of extending to get to the pigskin away from the body’s frame…Active in run force, coming up quickly while taking good angle..."

Dexter Reid draft report excerpts: "Quick to recognize and locate the ball…Plays alert and is very aware of the receiver’s drop in the zone…Tracks the ball properly and readily adjusts to it when combating for the pigskin…Catches the ball in his hands and away from his body…Will meet the ball carrier with aggression at the line of scrimmage..."

In short, there appears to be a clear profile for a Pats-drafted DB. It's not a physical profile, it's an on-the-field profile. Good hands, strong in run support, excellent field awareness and read-and-react/ball-tracking skills. Speedster or no, Chris Houston just doesn't seem to fit the profile.

With that in mind, you can rule out guys like Jonathan Wade, David Irons, and Houston.

Guys like Revis, Hughes, and Ross are more likely to be Pats.

With that in mind, you can rule out guys like Jonathan Wade, David Irons, and Houston.

Guys like Revis, Hughes, and Ross are more likely to be Pats.

Or in later rounds Ryan Smith, Eric Wright (though character concerns), John Talley, A.J. Davis.

Houston was just on about 10 minutes ago. Right now he's down in Florida training with Calvin Johnson. He said that he went up against all the top SEC WR's and he shut down Dwayne Jarrett in the first game. Man did he slip in a shocker at the end. He said that Arkansas doesn't really time their players that much. Apparently the only time they clocked him was his freshman year. Houston believes he's the fastest player in the draft and is aiming for, get this... a 4.27 forty! Kirwan replied that Houston is going to get a speeding ticket at the Combine.

I'm really impressed by Houston. He sounds extremely confident. I would love to see a YouTube clip of him.

You asked for it I thought I would forward you one hope you enjoy it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahII24jRET0

Noticeably absent is the pre-draft profile for Samuel. Somehow I doubt he was praised for his run D. I haven't seen anyone say that Houston has poor field awareness and read & react skills. The only criticisms I've read are that he isn't great in run D and he has hands of stone (though the clip below suggests otherwise).

You asked for it I thought I would forward you one hope you enjoy it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahII24jRET0

Thanks.

Not sure what you mean, but I'll take that as a compliment.

One of us... i.e. a fan who follows the team and the draft religiously. It was sort of a backhanded compliment to the "experts" out there.

Last edited:
Noticeably absent is the pre-draft profile for Samuel. Somehow I doubt he was praised for his run D. I haven't seen anyone say that Houston has poor field awareness and read & react skills. The only criticisms I've read are that he isn't great in run D and he has hands of stone (though the clip below suggests otherwise).

S93, I was using profiles from NFLDraftScout and unfortunately they only have full listings back through 2004, so no Samuel or Wilson. But I tracked down a profile of Samuel that looks like it's from the same source, and you're right -- run D was poor. The rest of his profile says Pats all over, though: slight build, lack of top-end speed, small school...but terrific field awareness and reaction skills, and of course great hands. And remember, Samuel was just a 4th-round pick.

Here are some of the negatives that the same source cites on Chris Houston:

"Locks on and runs with the receiver quite a bit, not showing the quick read-and-react skills you want in a cornerback...Can cover tight in the short area, but struggles to feel and anticipate routes on deep throws...Lacks natural hands, as he tends to cradle the ball on his body and must learn how to extend his arms to make the catch ...Lacks desire in run support, letting others come up to make the play...."

Now all that may or may not be accurate, but it's a whole lot of red flags for a potential 1st-round pick.

2003 predraft evaluation of samuel from espn.com:

"Notes: High school quarterback and defensive back and basketball player. Top backup free safety as a freshman in 1999. Moved to cornerback in 2000 and was the team's top return man. Started every game at cornerback in '01 and continued to return punts. Had 12 tackles and four passes defensed in '99; 26-6 and two picks in 2000; and 41-13-2 in '01. Team's best cornerback and defensive back in '02, when he had 48-15-4. Returned 25 punts for 275 yards and 10 kickoffs for 168 yards while blocking two kicks in '00. Returned 19 punts for 165 yards in '01, when he also blocked a kick. Returned 19 punts for 233 yards in '02.
Positives: Very good quick-twitch athlete with quick feet and good balance. Can peddle and turn without losing much in transition. Shows good ball skills and breaks on the ball well. Has decent hands, returns punts with vision and has shown skill as a kick blocker.
Negatives: Average at best versus the run and does not tackle that well. Quicker-than-fast player who does not have great makeup speed. Tends to leave a lot of cushion when in pass coverage. Seems to have a hard time catching punts at times and tends to catch them off to the side.
Summary: Has a good chance to make an NFL team as a nickel or dime cornerback and return man if he can improve his run support and tackling and become a more aggressive and physical player"

2003 on Eugene Wilson:

"Notes: Played basketball, boxed and practiced gymnastics while growing up. Backup cornerback and team's top return man in 1999, when he returned 31 punts for 304 yards and one touchdown. Starting cornerback from 2000 through '02. Led the nation in passes broken up and won All-Big Ten honors and All-America notice in '01. Had 37 tackles, 14 passes broken up and four interceptions in '00, when he also returned 14 punts for 72 yards. Numbers improved to 70-30-6 in '01, when he returned 25 punts for 250 yards and 12 kickoffs for 205 yards. In '02, posted 66 tackles, two for loss, one sack, one interception, 14 passes broken up and two forced fumbles, and he added 23 punt returns for 270 yards and a touchdown.
Positives: Very instinctive and aware. A natural athlete with quick-twitch, explosive movements and an excellent burst to close on balls thrown in front of him. Has a good feel for the game and is solid and aggressive in man-to-man coverage. Is good in transition and has hip flip. Excellent reactions in zone defense and overall ball reactions. Takes good angles, and times and jumps better than numbers indicate. Is willing in support and tackles. Agility is a strength, as is smarts and ball-tracking. Has 38-inch vertical.
Negatives: Only an average worker in the weight room and on the practice field; nor is he a film junkie. Things come too easily and he doesn't go the extra mile. Not a face-up tackler. Will gamble for interceptions in key situations. Played primarily man coverage in college.
Summary: Reminds some of ex-Florida CB Lito Sheppard, a second-round pick of the Eagles in 2002. Wilson should be drafted in the first two rounds because of his talent, but he needs to become more of a worker."

Last edited:
2003 on Eugene Wilson:

Negatives: Only an average worker in the weight room and on the practice field; nor is he a film junkie. Things come too easily and he doesn't go the extra mile. Not a face-up tackler. Will gamble for interceptions in key situations. Played primarily man coverage in college.
Summary: Reminds some of ex-Florida CB Lito Sheppard, a second-round pick of the Eagles in 2002. Wilson should be drafted in the first two rounds because of his talent, but he needs to become more of a worker."

I think Samuel has worked hard and has improved on a lot of his negatives. Most of the negatives about Wilson's work ethic have been rumored to still be true which is why he's been injury prone and has regressed off of two very good seasons to start his career.

From Todd McShay of espn.com/ scouts inc. in his mock draft today (he has him going 27 by the way):

"...and Houston could emerge as a good value late in the first round. He's flying under the radar right now, but the more film I watch of him the more impressed I become with his natural cover skills. Houston did an excellent job of limiting top-flight wideouts such as Jarrett, Meachem and Bowe as a junior this past season."

I am not a fan of Houston's regardless of how fast/slow he runs. I've done two Arkansas games this year and his character alone rubbed me the wrong way. I think he lacks passion for the game and is a complete "me" player. Several times I saw other DB's turn their back and walk away from him in pregame warm ups while he was running his mouth. Houston just laughed and started jogging the other way.

Houston does not possess 1/10th the ball skills as a Revis, whom I think possesses the best ball skills in the draft this year.

Someone brought up David Irons of Auburn. He's intriguing because he does his best work in zone coverage and the Pats play a lot of those disguised zones. (By that I mean they start out looking like cover 3 and once the ball is snapped it morphs into cover 4). With a year or two in the system, he could develop into a serviceable DB. I know he's a bit fragile, but Woick can help a lot on that front.

Bottom line is if Houston runs a 4.27 and I hope he does, then I hope someone above us that needs secondary help, snatches him up and causes 4.55 (best guess) Revis to fall to us.

I am not a fan of Houston's regardless of how fast/slow he runs. I've done two Arkansas games this year and his character alone rubbed me the wrong way. I think he lacks passion for the game and is a complete "me" player. Several times I saw other DB's turn their back and walk away from him in pregame warm ups while he was running his mouth. Houston just laughed and started jogging the other way.

Houston does not possess 1/10th the ball skills as a Revis, whom I think possesses the best ball skills in the draft this year.

Someone brought up David Irons of Auburn. He's intriguing because he does his best work in zone coverage and the Pats play a lot of those disguised zones. (By that I mean they start out looking like cover 3 and once the ball is snapped it morphs into cover 4). With a year or two in the system, he could develop into a serviceable DB. I know he's a bit fragile, but Woick can help a lot on that front.

Bottom line is if Houston runs a 4.27 and I hope he does, then I hope someone above us that needs secondary help, snatches him up and causes 4.55 (best guess) Revis to fall to us.
Exactly.......:rocker:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes