PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

CHFF: Have we seen the end of New England's dynasty?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disco Volante

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Cold, Hard Football Facts.com: Have we seen the end of New England's dynasty?

Have we seen the end of New England's dynasty?
Cold, Hard Football Facts for July 22, 2009

Is the New England dynasty over? It’s one of the burning issues in pro football as Tom Brady, Bill Belichick & Co. prepare to enter training camp and prepare to reset the clock after a disastrous 2008 calendar year.

We don't know the answer, really. But we do know that nothing lasts forever – not even seemingly indestructible pro football dynasties.

Some dynasties, like Al Davis's great Raiders teams, die in fiery Hindenburg-like disasters, with the whole world witnessing the ugly destruction. Other dynasties, like the 1970s Steelers, simply slip silenty under the sea like the Titanic, with outside observers oblivious to the disaster that befell the once mighty vessel until the bodies begin washing up on shore.

[Continued...]

What? Again? How many years now has New england's dynasty died? I've lost count.

He does have a point though:

Is the New England dynasty over? It’s one of the burning issues in pro football as Tom Brady, Bill Belichick & Co. prepare to enter training camp and prepare to reset the clock after a disastrous 2008 calendar year.

I mean, 11-5 is disastrous. Records like that get you the first pick in the draft. :bricks:

Last edited:
Cold Hard Answer: absolutely not.

The Pats don't have McDaniels anymore. Expect at least two more titles before Brady and Belichick are done.

This is unbelievable, it makes me laugh hard really, We have an 11-5 season with an injury list longer like never before.

The dynasty will last, the most important ingredients in this order for me are

Kraft, BB, Tom Brady.

As long as Kraft is around we will be in good shape, with BB its just all conquering and with Tom Brady its like a steamroller just crushing all before it.

He does have a point though:

I'd suggest you reread what he wrote before ragging on the guy; he said "a disastrous 2008 CALENDAR year."

He has a point; they lost the Super Bowl in 2008 to the Cinderella Giants in February, then Brady was lost for the season in the first quarter of the first game in September of 2008.

THAT is what he meant by calendar year, not the 11-5 record.

Christ.

I'd suggest you reread what he wrote before ragging on the guy; he said "a disastrous 2008 CALENDAR year."

He has a point; they lost the Super Bowl in 2008 to the Cinderella Giants in February, then Brady was lost for the season in the first quarter of the first game in September of 2008.

THAT is what he meant by calendar year, not the 11-5 record.

Christ.

Reading is a lost art. Expect it never to be found what with the the onslaught of reality tv, twitter and all manner of future nasties to come. God, I sound old, but it's the truth.

Reading is a lost art. Expect it never to be found what with the the onslaught of reality tv, twitter and all manner of future nasties to come. God, I sound old, but it's the truth.
;)

funny-pictures-cat-is-grumpy.jpg

we could have easily won six superbowls this decade, and we will continue to rack up w's as long as bb is here...btw oconnell will be our qb in 3-four years!!

Good read, thanks for sharing......

I agree. He asked the question -- and it's a good one -- and used it to give a nice description of the end of other powerhouses. It may not happen this year, but, sooner or later, it will ...

I read the article. It's quite interesting.

His main point is to compare the Belichick/Brady Pats to some of the great dynasties of all times and ask whether the "2008 calendar year" will mark the kind of turning point for this team that other great teams have faced. I don't see how that's all that outrageous a question to ask. It gives the Pats their due by comparing them to teams like Landry's Cowboys, Lombardi's Packers and Paul Brown's Browns. That's pretty good company.

We all out here hope and believe that the answer is "No." But that doesn't make it an unfair question.

And, it's clear that the article is not referring to the 11--5 regular season performance, but to the calendar year and losing SB XLII on a freak catch and losing Tommy in the first game of the new season.

I read the article too, we get to a Superbowl and lose, then we lose Tom Brady at the start of the new campaign. However his article relies heavily on the fact that we lost to the Miami Dolphins in 2008 to make its point.

As I said above we had a horrendous injury list last season not just Tom Brady.

Now we have won those Superbowls without that big names on offense that the other teams he mentions had. The 49ers had Rice, Craig and Montana followed by Steve Young. They had others as well but thats the superstars right there. The Cowboys had Irvin, Smith and Aikmen. The Steelers had Stallworth, Harris and Bradshaw. These teams suffered as their players got older, battered and injury prone.

Right now we have Brady, Welker and Moss but only one of them guys has superbowls at this point. With the exception of our great QB we have won those superbowls without the all conquering offensive weapons that those teams had while they were at the top.

Its quite simple to me, Bob Kraft took over this team and wanted to do things, he got himself a genius head coach and we became the superpower we are right now. Tom Brady made it easier for BB to win things. Our era will end when BB loses his way and I don't see that happening anytime soon.
We came out of 2007 as the team that nobody wants to face and thats after losing a superbowl on a freak catch.
2007 was a record setting year and one loss doesn't make a bit of difference. 2008 as a calendar year seen Murphy's law take hold as everything that could go wrong went wrong and we still went 11-5. The article is rubbish and just to those who like it and like being compared to the Steelers, Packers, Browns, 49ers and Cowboys well he also compares us to the Rams and Raiders.

His main point is to compare the Belichick/Brady Pats to some of the great dynasties of all times and ask whether the "2008 calendar year" will mark the kind of turning point for this team that other great teams have faced.

He has it wrong. Just like the 80's 49ers, they won some, then re-tooled then won two more. Will be the same w/Belichick.

Last edited:
He has it wrong. Just like the 80's 49ers, they won some, then re-tooled then won two more. Will be the same w/Belichick.

as far as i can see, he doesn't draw any conclusions.

We've got 6 Players from the original SB 2001 team and 15 players from the last SB team in 2004. If our old dynasty is dead, then we are starting a new one because this team is still going strong

2001:

Tom Brady
Kevin Faulk
Matt Light
Stephen Neal
Richard Neal
Tedy Brushchi

2004:

Tom Brady
Kevin Faulk
Ben Watson
Dan Koppen
Russ Hochstein
Matt Light
Stephen Neal
Billy Yates
Richard Seymour
Ty Warren
Vince Wilfork
Jarvis Green
Eric Alexander
Tully Banta-Cain
Tedy Bruschi

Last edited:
We haven't gone anywhere yet, after all, there is a reason we are the odds on favorite in Vegas to win it all year after year...we are still the top threat in the league until Belicheck and/or Brady leave...

We've got 6 Players from the original SB 2001 team and 15 players from the last SB team in 2004. If our old dynasty is dead, then we are starting a new one because this team is still going strong
Which just goes to show this is a dynasty since a proper dynasty is one that survives multiple changes and keeps on trucking. :singing:

Let's just win the damn Super Bowl and shut all this talk up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News