PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

CHFF: Brees delivers greatest performance in modern NFL history

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now, since you have made it pretty clear that the schemes are different than in the 2001-2004 days, please feel free to provide game-by-game, or play-by-play statistical evidence that can back it up. .

Given the garbage you routinely trot out without any evidence, this is hilarious that you demand this.

Does anyone think a power runninggame would improve the defense?:confused:

Given the garbage you routinely trot out without any evidence, this is hilarious that you demand this.

My argument passes the test. The schemes are the same, the personnel is different. I asked for evidence of such because I knew you couldn't provide it. The fact that you are now resorting to the "good ol' personal attacks" shows me that much. You could have just said, "you're absolutely right, Kontra. I am wrong and you are right. You are also insanely good looking and extremely suave", to make it easier on yourself. Would you like me to present evidence that the personnel on defense is not the same and is lesser than it was last year? I would be DELIGHTED to do that for you.

The schemes are the same, the personnel is different.

Really, the offensive and defensive schemes haven't changed in 9 years?

You are a clown, but unfortunately aren't funny.

Trying to claim the schemes are the same since 2001 is laughable when one looks at how different the defense and offense have looked from 2001-2004, 2005, 2006-2008, and now 2009.

Really, the offensive and defensive schemes haven't changed in 9 years?

You are a clown, but unfortunately aren't funny.

Trying to claim the schemes are the same since 2001 is laughable when one looks at how different the defense and offense have looked from 2001-2004, 2005, 2006-2008, and now 2009.

Base D and Base O is the same. Plays have been added and removed over the years.

You are wrong. Kontra is funny.

Everyone lighten up...

Give Brees the credit he deserves. He was exceptional!!!

I don't care if the best defense in the league played him Monday Night,
he would have still been great.
He was quick and accurate and anticipated where his target would be
with precision and timed his passes with the precision of an atomic clock!

He was absolutely GREAT!

Also give credit to the offensive XXX's and OOO's guru. Many of those
plays just sprung receivers wide open. I wish we had an OC like that!

Base D and Base O is the same. Plays have been added and removed over the years.

You are wrong. Kontra is funny.

Everyone lighten up...

BINGO!!

Sorry, Mav. You are wrong. If you can provide evidence of any type that the general schemes on defense (we'll leave offense out for now) have changed, I'll be more than willing to listen. As of right now, you should know that your personal attacks are kind of like a giant white flag waving over your posts. But please, continue to wallow in your ignorance.

Give Brees the credit he deserves. He was exceptional!!!

I don't care if the best defense in the league played him Monday Night,
he would have still been great.
He was quick and accurate and anticipated where his target would be
with precision and timed his passes with the precision of an atomic clock!

He was absolutely GREAT!

Also give credit to the offensive XXX's and OOO's guru. Many of those
plays just sprung receivers wide open. I wish we had an OC like that!

I'm not surprised at Brees' performance. I'm just surprised that our offense was as inept as it was. I've watched other Saints games and seen sub-par teams light them up.

I picked the Saints to put 41 points on our D. But I picked the Pats to put up 34 on their O. I was expecting a "who has the ball last" duel.

Not to intrude but from a saints fan perspective. Brees is fortunate enough to be on a team that exacerbates his abilities. Look over some of the facts: a OL that is constantly overlooked in the probowl but has ranked 1-3# since 2006, a receiving core that is never marked at the top 5 because the ball is thrown to a different guy each play. Paytons “ you cant cover everyone” offense works, but no one is a hero, no one will ever get moss like numbers in this offence.
You put a guy to pass to them who doesnt have the best arm and cant play in weather, but is probably the most accurate passer in the NFL, and its a field day.

YouTube - DrewBrees Sport Science

You add a 3 headed running game, and teams have a problem. The point is the only way to beat the Saints is you have to stop the run, pass, and break the OL, its not one thing, and then you have to out think payton. Vikings dont have that. Brees is a really good guy who spends the time , and deserves this , hes not as strong but more accurate than manning.

YouTube - Drew Brees

He is not the best QB ever, he has a long road to come close to brady, montana,bradshaw. Brees is at the right place at the right time, he has picked apart 5 #5 defenses this year and the Saint offense has been #1 #1 #4 #1 since 2006, you guys were facing a seasoned offence even when the defense was #28, Brees is a damn good football player, the boy was born to play, but hes no Tom Brady yet and his success is with the offence of the Saints as a whole. Brees would not be doing these numbers with out our team and paytons build as a whole. Realize Bush and Moore didnt play, and Moore was our #1 receiver last year, this team is deep. This is Sean Paytons doing. Thanks guys

Last edited:
I'm not surprised at Brees' performance. I'm just surprised that our offense was as inept as it was. I've watched other Saints games and seen sub-par teams light them up. .

In a league dominated by coaching and strategy more than any other major pro sport, we still have clowns like Kontradiction (very telling username) who think that Belichick has been running the same style/scheme offense and defense since 2001, the only difference being personnel.

Not to intrude but from a saints fan perspective. Brees is fortunate enough to be on a team that exacerbates his abilities. Look over some of the facts: a OL that is constantly overlooked in the probowl but has ranked 1-3# since 2006, a receiving core that is never marked at the top 5 because the ball is thrown to a different guy each play. Paytons “ you cant cover everyone” offense works, but no one is a hero, no one will ever get moss like numbers in this offence.
You put a guy to pass to them who doesnt have the best arm and cant play in weather, but is probably the most accurate passer in the NFL, and its a field day.

YouTube - DrewBrees Sport Science

You add a 3 headed running game, and teams have a problem. The point is the only way to beat the Saints is you have to stop the run, pass, and break the OL, its not one thing, and then you have to out think payton. Vikings dont have that. Brees is a really good guy who spends the time , and deserves this

YouTube - Drew Brees

He is not the best QB ever, he has a long road to come close to brady, montana,bradshaw. Brees is at the right place at the right time, he has picked apart 5 #5 defenses this year and the Saint offense has been #1 #1 #4 #1 since 2006, you guys were facing a seasoned offence even when the defense was #28, Brees is a damn good football player, the boy was born to play, but hes no Tom Brady yet and his success is with the offence of the Saints as a whole, realize Bush and Moore didnt play, and Moore was our #1 receiver last year, this team is deep. Thanks guys

Your preaching to the choir. We won 3 super bowls with that same philosophy. its only been the last couple of years were Brady has stopped looking for the open receiver.

The talent on this defense is definitely good enough.
You don't go into the Saints game with the 2nd best points-against defense without good talent.

This is what makes Brees' performance even more remarkable.
Brees completely picked apart the defense, he had a phenomenal performance. He knew exactly where our weakness was every play, and was un-real with his accuracy all game.

I think a big reason why is that pre-snap Brees could clearly see if we were in zone, man, blitzing, or not blitzing. Our linebackers and corners all play off the line, so it's very easy to figure out what we are doing.

When is the last time you saw all Pats linebackers at the line of scrimmage, even if just to fake blitz?

How is the talent good enough? Show me where the pass rush *should* be coming from, because now that Seymour's gone we don't have one. We also have one legitimate cornerback, and Junior Seau is our top backup at ILB. We have talent up the middle, and a great safety rotation, but that hardly makes a great D.

A common theme is predictability.
Our pass rush suffers because we always rush the SAME GUY all the time. We don't give any confusing looks. There is no deception to confuse the O-line or the QB. If you look at how our defense lines up pre-snap, it pretty much telegraphs to the QB and O-line if we are in man or zone, and who is blitzing.

Try this little game the next time the Pats play. Look at how our LB's and corners line up (oftentimes not even close to the line of scrimmage), look at the safeties (almost always in the same spot), identify the mike and possible blitzers. It's actually not that hard even from a TV broadcast to figure out how to beat this current defense.

These are not talent issues.

Look at how the Saints stuffed the explosive Pats offense. Their entire defense is mediocre to below average. They were playing 3 backups in the secondary, one safety was signed a week before the game and didn't even play for a year. Their D-line was garbage, their pass rush was mediocre too. The Pats offense which has superior talent at every position group got stopped... how? It's not because of talent issues that the Saints D succeeded.

Last edited:
Our pass rush suffers because we always rush the SAME GUY all the time. We don't give any confusing looks. There is no deception to confuse the O-line or the QB. If you look at how our defense lines up pre-snap, it pretty much telegraphs to the QB and O-line if we are in man or zone, and who is blitzing.

Try this little game the next time the Pats play. Look at how our LB's and corners line up (oftentimes not even close to the line of scrimmage), look at the safeties (almost always in the same spot), identify the mike and possible blitzers. It's actually not that hard even from a TV broadcast to figure out how to beat this current defense.

Look at how the Saints stuffed the explosive Pats offense. Their entire defense is mediocre to below average. They were playing 3 backups in the secondary, one safety was signed a week before the game and didn't even play for a year. Their D-line was garbage, their pass rush was mediocre too. The Pats offense which has superior talent at every position group got stopped... how? It's not because of talent issues that the Saints D succeeded.

They beat our offense by consistently generating pressure with a 3 man rush. Any defense that consistently gets pressure rushing that few guys will shut down any offense. Period.

Does some of the fault for that lie with O'Brien? Absolutely- we should have kept running the ball. Instead, we go empty backfield and expose an offensive line that just isn't really all that good at this point in time. When Neal went out last night, I looked across the line and saw Light (above average), Mankins (honestly, pretty much average at this point), Koppen (below average IMO), Conolly (good depth, but not an every-down guy) and Kaczur (blows). As a unit, they were so bad that they couldn't collectively block three guys. I don't care how predictable the playcalling is, if 5 guys can't block 3 you're completely and utterly screwed. Nothing the OC can do about that. Bottom line is we need Vollmer and Neal to stay healthy; they're by far our best linemen.

Last edited:
Here's my perspective.

Drew Brees is a terrific QB. Maybe even a great QB.

Drew Brees played the best game of his life in the Super Dome this Monday and deserves all the credit in the world for it.

Tom Brady played the best game of his life in the Super Dome in SB XXXVI and is going to Canton.

It's a long season. The Vikings and Eagles and Cowboys are hungry in the NFC and Peyton is hungry to get a second ring in the AFC.

Let's see where Drew Brees is when the Fat Lady has sung.

I posted this before, where it is important W.G.'s defense excels. You can not just look at the overall standing in yardage in the NFL. Grant,smith,ellis on the front line D was a big +, this defense is not as bad as it seems. thow we have huge CB issues, I never expected McKenzie to show up, even thow he was our best player last year on D.
Interceptions. #1
passes defended. #1
opposing passer rating. #1
defensive touchdowns scored. #1
completion percentage by opposing passer. #1
third down percentage. #1
turnover differential. #4
passing yards surrendered per attempt. #4
red zone defense. #5

They beat our offense by consistently generating pressure with a 3 man rush. Any defense that consistently gets pressure rushing that few guys will shut down any offense. Period.

You never stopped to wonder why it was so eerily similar to the 07 Giants game? Did you ever wonder why a 3 to 5 man rush can beat our O-line, after the Saints did the same thing? Do you wonder why a mediocre Saints secondary could stop Moss and Welker?

The predictability on both sides of the ball are causing our pass protection issues, as well as our pass rush issues.

Look at the play by play of the last game. Sean Payton intentionally keeps Drew Brees under center as much as he can. Why? Because he knows the inherent benefit that the threat of run does to the opposing D-line, the corners, LB's and safeties. Even a 4-man D-line can wreak havoc against a 5-man O-line if they essentially blitz all day against our shotgun-happy offense. When you don't have to mind any running gaps it's MUCH easier to sprint, juke, and pull moves against offensive linemen.

Last edited:

:eek:... i thought about that the other daii...

who does brees think he is? chad pennigton?

the only thing that drew brees is missing is the lombardi. he's numbers are eerily similar to brady's. brees is a guy that keeps getting overlooked in the best QB discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft