PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

CHFF: Brees delivers greatest performance in modern NFL history

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brady thru 5 tds in 1 quarter...just saying.

In a league dominated by coaching and strategy more than any other major pro sport, we still have clowns like Kontradiction (very telling username) who think that Belichick has been running the same style/scheme offense and defense since 2001, the only difference being personnel.

The base offense and defense are still intact. For argument's sake, we're talking about the defense. Some of the plays have changed but the base schemes are still there and always will be as long as BB is our head coach. If you think that BB has changed the base offense since 2004, you're more than welcome to offer up proof of that.

And keep it up with the personal attacks. They suck pretty bad but I know how you feel. You're not really angry with me, you're angry with the fact that your Google searches aren't popping up results in your favor. :rofl:

You never stopped to wonder why it was so eerily similar to the 07 Giants game? Did you ever wonder why a 3 to 5 man rush can beat our O-line, after the Saints did the same thing? Do you wonder why a mediocre Saints secondary could stop Moss and Welker?

The predictability on both sides of the ball are causing our pass protection issues, as well as our pass rush issues.

Look at the play by play of the last game. Sean Payton intentionally keeps Drew Brees under center as much as he can. Why? Because he knows the inherent benefit that the threat of run does to the opposing D-line, the corners, LB's and safeties. Even a 4-man D-line can wreak havoc against a 5-man O-line if they essentially blitz all day against our shotgun-happy offense. When you don't have to mind any running gaps it's MUCH easier to sprint, juke, and pull moves against offensive linemen.

Are you blind, mav? The common thread between Monday night's game and the Super Bowl is injuries to the O-Line. That's about it. Before Neal went down (in both games) Brady had enough time to make a sandwich in the pocket and it showed during the drives. Post-injuries, teams were able to pressure Brady up the middle. Scheming and coaching is important, but if you think they are the know-all, end-all with a football game/team and personnel does not factor into it all/factors into it less, then you obviously don't know much about the game and should refrain from talking about it.

EDIT: Let me put it out there that I don't like Bill O'Brien. I have a problem with his play calling so far. The draw play to Faulk 15 times a game as well as going into a five wide Shotgun set on first down after the running game just took you down the field for a TD are inexcuseable. He is NOT a good playcaller at this stage of the game and needs a lot of work. However, Brady getting pressured and the Saints winning the battle at the point of attack are not the fault of O'Brien. They are the fault of the O-Line and the injuries it has sustained. Bottom line, if you cannot tell the difference between our O-Line when it is healthy and when an important component goes down, then you are very obviously blind.

Last edited:
If you think that BB has changed the base offense since 2004, you're more than welcome to offer up proof of that.

2004 Offense and 2009 offense are day and night different. Don't really need to offer proof, just a logical argument. If our base offense were the same since 2004, teams would be shutting us down. In the NFL, you either evolve or get buried.

Look at the play by play of the last game. Sean Payton intentionally keeps Drew Brees under center as much as he can. Why? Because he knows the inherent benefit that the threat of run does to the opposing D-line, the corners, LB's and safeties. Even a 4-man D-line can wreak havoc against a 5-man O-line if they essentially blitz all day against our shotgun-happy offense. When you don't have to mind any running gaps it's MUCH easier to sprint, juke, and pull moves against offensive linemen.

I can't agree more. It's now blindingly obvious that the shotgun is doing more harm than good to this offense.

i have to agree with, Kontra.

BB has been runing the same D for 20 year's back when he was the DC for the g man, it looked great then because he had LT and about 3 more HOF player's

it looked bad with the browns cause there was not talent

and that same D looked good again when he was the DC for the jets

and that same D won 3 rings for the pats, like ty law, once said coach's don't play player's play, and right now they dont have the player's to get it done

Not to intrude but from a saints fan perspective. Brees is fortunate enough to be on a team that exacerbates his abilities. Look over some of the facts: a OL that is constantly overlooked in the probowl but has ranked 1-3# since 2006, a receiving core that is never marked at the top 5 because the ball is thrown to a different guy each play. Paytons “ you cant cover everyone” offense works, but no one is a hero, no one will ever get moss like numbers in this offence.
You put a guy to pass to them who doesnt have the best arm and cant play in weather, but is probably the most accurate passer in the NFL, and its a field day.

YouTube - DrewBrees Sport Science

You add a 3 headed running game, and teams have a problem. The point is the only way to beat the Saints is you have to stop the run, pass, and break the OL, its not one thing, and then you have to out think payton. Vikings dont have that. Brees is a really good guy who spends the time , and deserves this , hes not as strong but more accurate than manning.

YouTube - Drew Brees

He is not the best QB ever, he has a long road to come close to brady, montana,bradshaw. Brees is at the right place at the right time, he has picked apart 5 #5 defenses this year and the Saint offense has been #1 #1 #4 #1 since 2006, you guys were facing a seasoned offence even when the defense was #28, Brees is a damn good football player, the boy was born to play, but hes no Tom Brady yet and his success is with the offence of the Saints as a whole. Brees would not be doing these numbers with out our team and paytons build as a whole. Realize Bush and Moore didnt play, and Moore was our #1 receiver last year, this team is deep. This is Sean Paytons doing. Thanks guys

Your preaching to the choir. We won 3 super bowls with that same philosophy. its only been the last couple of years were Brady has stopped looking for the open receiver.

Not to be be rude but I dont agree. I dont agree with the beat down Eli has had in NY because of what we did to them and I dont agree with matt ryan being ridiculed in atlanta because of what happened. And I dont agree with putting Brady in a position to take the fall for the game. Tom Brady is not the best QB ever , Montana and Bradshaw lead him, but hes close. I believe and N.O. has allot of respect for this guy. We got damn lucky we got him on a off day. you should feel fortunate you have such a talent on your team, most dont.

Last edited:
you know on this, Im going to sign off, because were old news and you guys need to worry about Miami and the rest of the playoffs , I do care for your families and hope you guys have a good christmas, and Im done wasting your time with banter.

I hope you will welcome me back, and you are all healthy and happy.

pherein

To stay on topic, I'm not sure you have to have the greatest performance in modern football history to hit a wide receiver who was in 30 yards of space.

To stay on topic, I'm not sure you have to have the greatest performance in modern football history to hit a wide receiver who was in 30 yards of space.

That's dismissing the majority of his throws which were great reads and all with pin point accuracy even with coverage.

That's dismissing the majority of his throws which were great reads and all with pin point accuracy even with coverage.

I'm not arguing that he wasn't great, but messiah is a little much. He threw 18 passes for a shade under 400 yards. It certainly wasn't Brady v. Pitt or Jax in 07.

2004 Offense and 2009 offense are day and night different. Don't really need to offer proof, just a logical argument. If our base offense were the same since 2004, teams would be shutting us down. In the NFL, you either evolve or get buried.

Sorry, I meant to say defense there. If you look at my other posts in the thread, you'll see that I threw out the offense for argument's sake only because we throw a whole helluva lot more than we used to.

I'm not arguing that he wasn't great, but messiah is a little much. He threw 18 passes for a shade under 400 yards. It certainly wasn't Brady v. Pitt or Jax in 07.

Brees completed 18 passes for about 400 yards and 5 TD's, which is a perfect QB rating, against the 2nd stingiest defense going into the game.

Brady has a few performances like this that are just as good, but not better.

Brees for MVP!

Brees completed 18 passes for about 400 yards and 5 TD's, which is a perfect QB rating, against the 2nd stingiest defense going into the game.

Brady has a few performances like this that are just as good, but not better.

That's not true. Brady has put up numbers like that in one HALF before. He regularly did it in 3 quarters in 2007. The only reason his numbers weren't MORE inflated is because Belichick regularly pulled him in those blowouts, including this year's Titans game.

When Brees can put up those numbers in one half, then he's on Brady's level.

That said, I still think Brees is one hell of a great QB and a potential future HoF'er. And a great guy personally to boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back