PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Casey Matthews

Status
Not open for further replies.
Espn had a special on him. When Clay came out he was smaller compared to what we look for. But casey even smaller than his brother.They had his father too in that interviews.

He can play OLB in 4-3 for sure. IN a 3-4 he will eaten alive. He is very small.
But i will not be suprised if some team takes him very high thinking he is another Clay.

greenbay plays a defence where DE and ILB stunt and play slants to free him up to make plays. We do not play like that so different system.

He is only 6' 1" about 235lbs so not really a fit at OLB for us but I think could play specials and backup at ILB but we are pretty set there. I also think that some 4-3 team will grab him in the 4th or 5th but from what I saw last night the kid is pretty good. I did see Cam run him over last night where he had him one on one but that has happen to a lot of kids this year.

He is only 6' 1" about 235lbs so not really a fit at OLB for us but I think could play specials and backup at ILB but we are pretty set there. I also think that some 4-3 team will grab him in the 4th or 5th but from what I saw last night the kid is pretty good. I did see Cam run him over last night where he had him one on one but that has happen to a lot of kids this year.

If Mathews runs well enough, he could be used similar to how we use the kid from Montana state.

If Mathews runs well enough, he could be used similar to how we use the kid from Montana state.

maybe but he doesn't have as much size...there's also a limited number of roster spots. And the kid from montana state was an udfa.

FWIW the guy at the huddle report (Drew Boylhart) really likes him (gives him a round 1 grade on his talent board).Thinks he is really underrated at this point, would be able to fit into any defense and potentially be an impact player. He isn't always correct but his takes on players are often interesting and quite frequently run a bit contrary to other draft gurus.

Don't think Patriots would draft him but you never know...

That is a good point and he did have himself a few good games to finish the season. The player he reminds me of is Paris Lenon who fit better in Detroit then here in NE. You are right though Fletcher has proven then you do not have to be 250lbs to make plays in our defense so you never know.

That is a good point and he did have himself a few good games to finish the season. The player he reminds me of is Paris Lenon who fit better in Detroit then here in NE. You are right though Fletcher has proven then you do not have to be 250lbs to make plays in our defense so you never know.

Fletcher is 244. So that proves you don't hav to be 250?

Matthews made one play and got run over about 5 times. So he's a 3rd round pick at 6'1" 230...cause...why again?

Matthews made one play and got run over about 5 times. So he's a 3rd round pick at 6'1" 230...cause...why again?

Matthews I think made more then one play last night and where did I say he was a third rounder? I said 4th or 5th round at best:rolleyes:

Many think that a player has to be 6'5" 250 to play OLB in our scheme but I made reference to Fletcher playing pretty good for being undersized at OLB in our scheme so what are you saying exactly??

He is a fourth or fifth round pick based on

"2010 RONNIE LOTT IMPACT AWARD FINALIST: Casey Matthews, a three-year starter for the No. 1 Ducks at middle linebacker, entered the weekend ranked fifth in the nation and the Pac-10 co-leader with three fumble recoveries. He leads the team with 68 tackles and is third on the squad with a career-high three interceptions. "

"2010 ALL PAC-10 FOOTBALL FIRST TEAM (COACHES): LB - Casey Matthews, Sr., Oregon, has been selected All Pac-10 First Team for the 2010 college football season as selected by the Pac-10 head football coaches. - Pac-10 football "

He had a good game last year against USC from one of the few game I watched of him.

Fletcher is primarily an ILB who plays OLB in certain situations. He's also taller, heavier, and faster than Casey Matthews.

Didn't we try the whole younger brother thing? Bo Ruud??

1) Yes, Belichick would find a role for Matthews if he were on the team. However, it is not clear that he would be more valuable to the patriots than Fletcher, who as has been pointed out is taller and heavier.

2) The patriots didn't draft Fletcher. Seeing the same player again, we probably wouldn't draft him either, unless we are talking about a 6th or 7th round flyer in a weak draft. And yes, the patriots might bring him in Matthews as a UDFA if he were available, as we did Fletcher (and Love).

3) Matthews is more valuable to other teams than he would be to the patriots. However high the patriots rank him, it is likely that several other teams with different schemes would rate him higher on their boards.

4) I wish Matthews well. The game helped his career. I see no future for him on the patriots.

I may need to update my tracking sheet for more current weights, but I have:

McKenzie listed at 6'2"/244
Eric Alexander listed at 6'2"/240
Mayo listed at 6'1"/242
Guyton listed at 6'3"/242
Paris Lenon was in camp for us last season and Thomas Williams (6'1"/230) was this past camp.

All INSIDE LBs, of course. Slightly heftier than Matthews, maybe just as fast (Guyton is almost certainly as fast). OLB lower weight limit appears to be 250 lbs, though.

Didn't we try the whole younger brother thing? Bo Ruud??

Between the Gronkowskis, the McCourtys, the Matthews, the Trufants, the Cromarties and few others, you could probably stock a whole 53-man with just 15 or so families right now. Actually, when Antonio's kids grow up, you could theoretically field an all-Cromartie defense.

Actually, when Antonio's kids grow up, you could theoretically field an all-Cromartie defense.

Easy TD on every run play? :lol2:

Fletcher is primarily an ILB who plays OLB in certain situations. He's also taller, heavier, and faster than Casey Matthews.

He also played DE in college and led his conference in Sacks. So he he has the instincts to play 3-4 OLB in sub packages when called for.

Casey Matthews has played well at Oregon, what folks saw in the BCS title game was what I've seen from him several times this season. NFL Draft Scout lists Matthews at 6'1" 238 with an estimated 40 time of 4.78 ... still the 40 isn't the best measure of a player's game speed as Brandon Spikes has tried to explain to us. Mayo checked in at 6'1 1/4" 242 at the Combine and ran a 4.54 40 with a 1.50 ten yd split. Matthews is projected by NFLDS as a late 4th/early 5th round pick with an arrow indicating he's rising as more people consider his senior season.

At the moment NE has Mayo teamed with Spikes/Guyton in the primary packages, with Fletcher playing his way into a decent number of reps in specific sub-packages and Special Teams. They also have pure ST'er Tracy White who is listed as an ILB. Another ILB prospect in the late rounds or UDFA signing (CBA permitting) is a worthwhile investment for depth.

Matthews or Owen Maricic (whom multi-taskers love for his iron man game at Stanford) are projected too high for me in this draft. UConn's Scott Lutrus had a poor season and slipped, which makes him a 7th/UDFA option for depth/STs/PSquad. I think my favorite all heart UDFA flyer would be Cobrini Mixon of Kent State. Marshall's Mario Harvey is projected as a late 6/early 7 and he might be worth that much given his pigskin seeking missle persona.

Lutrus and Matthews are on the current Shrine Game rosters (subject to change with very little notice, from my past experience), along with Karl Klug and Ryan Winterswyck.

A few of various folks' late-round binkie RBs are on the rosters, too.

Most of the O-linemen are guys I've never heard of. Which means I'd better start studying up since Dante will undoubtedly talk BB into picking up at least one of them as a late-round/UDFA project.

http://www.shrinegame.com/Teams/Watchlist.aspx

Lutrus and Matthews are on the current Shrine Game rosters (subject to change with very little notice, from my past experience), along with Karl Klug and Ryan Winterswyck.

A few of various folks' late-round binkie RBs are on the rosters, too.

Most of the O-linemen are guys I've never heard of. Which means I'd better start studying up since Dante will undoubtedly talk BB into picking up at least one of them as a late-round/UDFA project.

http://www.shrinegame.com/Teams/Watchlist.aspx
Here's the BOR quick reference guide for you :)

Bartholomew, Brignone, and Linnekohl are good late round/UDFA candidates. Rackley was an FCS LT projected to move inside to Guard before the season started, then had a rough season - very interesting to see him listed as a Center.

Most of the Guard prospects are meh, but Zach Hurd intrigues. He's Jordan Todman's high speed earth mover pulling from his RG spot. He's 6'7", which is outside the norm for Dante's OG preferences, but I could see him dancing the Scarnecchia ballet at RG and maybe RT. David Arkin also is of interest from his bio (haven't seen him play) as he started at RG his first three seasons, then finished his junior year at LT and stayed there his senior year. Another FCS player, but Scar likes them versatile. Randall Hunt - I've got Illinois's bowl game recorded to watch so I'll be looking for him, but just for fun - since 2005 Scar has encouraged BB to draft two OL (both rookie swing tackles who started a minimum of 10 games as injury replacements) coached up by the Illinois O-line coach: Kaczur and Vollmer. ;) Andrew Jackson is from another of Scar's repeat programs, but I thought he looked too heavy footed for NE's style.

Jah Reid reminds me a little of Vollmer. He caught my eye at RT for UCF and started to draw some interest from the paid draftniks by the end of the season. I've had him as a late round target most of the season. Chris Hairston is another Day three projection whom I thought looked mobile enough for the Scarnecchia Scholarship program. Adam Grant is better suited for a Pittsburgh-style OL, but he's worth keeping an eye on as a late round/UDFA project. Letuli is another kid who looked a little heavy footed for NE.

Here's the BOR quick reference guide for you :)

Bartholomew, Brignone, and Linnekohl are good late round/UDFA candidates. Rackley was an FCS LT projected to move inside to Guard before the season started, then had a rough season - very interesting to see him listed as a Center.

Most of the Guard prospects are meh, but Zach Hurd intrigues. He's Jordan Todman's high speed earth mover pulling from his RG spot. He's 6'7", which is outside the norm for Dante's OG preferences, but I could see him dancing the Scarnecchia ballet at RG and maybe RT. David Arkin also is of interest from his bio (haven't seen him play) as he started at RG his first three seasons, then finished his junior year at LT and stayed there his senior year. Another FCS player, but Scar likes them versatile. Randall Hunt - I've got Illinois's bowl game recorded to watch so I'll be looking for him, but just for fun - since 2005 Scar has encouraged BB to draft two OL (both rookie swing tackles who started a minimum of 10 games as injury replacements) coached up by the Illinois O-line coach: Kaczur and Vollmer. ;) Andrew Jackson is from another of Scar's repeat programs, but I thought he looked too heavy footed for NE's style.

Jah Reid reminds me a little of Vollmer. He caught my eye at RT for UCF and started to draw some interest from the paid draftniks by the end of the season. I've had him as a late round target most of the season. Chris Hairston is another Day three projection whom I thought looked mobile enough for the Scarnecchia Scholarship program. Adam Grant is better suited for a Pittsburgh-style OL, but he's worth keeping an eye on as a late round/UDFA project. Letuli is another kid who looked a little heavy footed for NE.

Thank you! I'll copy pasta this as part of my tracking notes for a handy handle on who to track in the practice reports. Starting next Tuesday, actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back