PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Carlos Dunlap

Status
Not open for further replies.

DocE

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
I was looking at YouTube for some prospect video and came across two Dunlap videos of interest from Alo draft. Now I don't know if Alo draft has some sort of agenda or not, but Dunlap was very unimpressive in both clips (one from the UT game and another from the FSU game). To me, he plays too high at times, and really lacks instincts (in these clips, can't speak for his career)

YouTube - Carlos Dunlap vs. Tennessee

YouTube - Carlos Dunlap vs. Florida State

I was looking at YouTube for some prospect video and came across two Dunlap videos of interest from Alo draft. Now I don't know if Alo draft has some sort of agenda or not, but Dunlap was very unimpressive in both clips (one from the UT game and another from the FSU game). To me, he plays too high at times, and really lacks instincts (in these clips, can't speak for his career)

Having watched both clips, I was fairly impressed with Dunlap. Yes, he does play a bit high, particularly out of a 3 point stance, but that is because of his height. It's not as pronounced when he's standing up, and wouldn't be as much of a factor as a 3-4 OLB. He reminds me a lot of Julius Peppers the way he never seems to be running at full speed but always seems to get to where he needs to be.

What I'm most impressed with with Dunlap is that he's always around the ball and the ballcarrier. There are several plays on those 2 clips where he changes direction and pursues the ballcarrier well away from his initial assignment. At around 1:20 in the Florida State excerpt, for example, FSU throws a screen pass and Dunlap ends up way downfield close to the ball carrier when he is tackled. No, he didn't make the play, but he didn't give up on it either, which a lot of pass rushers would have done.

I watched the entire Sugar Bowl game focusing on Dunlap on every play, and I came away extremely impressed with his consistent effort, his ability to pursue, and his agility.

Sorry, but when I watch Dunlap I still see flashes reminiscent of this:

YouTube - Willie McGinest Tribute - NFL Linebacker

Having watched both clips, I was fairly impressed with Dunlap. Yes, he does play a bit high, particularly out of a 3 point stance, but that is because of his height. It's not as pronounced when he's standing up, and wouldn't be as much of a factor as a 3-4 OLB. He reminds me a lot of Julius Peppers the way he never seems to be running at full speed but always seems to get to where he needs to be.

What I'm most impressed with with Dunlap is that he's always around the ball and the ballcarrier. There are several plays on those 2 clips where he changes direction and pursues the ballcarrier well away from his initial assignment. At around 1:20 in the Florida State excerpt, for example, FSU throws a screen pass and Dunlap ends up way downfield close to the ball carrier when he is tackled. No, he didn't make the play, but he didn't give up on it either, which a lot of pass rushers would have done.

I watched the entire Sugar Bowl game focusing on Dunlap on every play, and I came away extremely impressed with his consistent effort, his ability to pursue, and his agility.

Except Willie Mac was a team leader at USC and Dunlap has character and maturity concerns. I would not waste a 1st round pick on this guy. The Patriots need to get some character back into the locker room.

Last edited:
Remember it use to be dont draft florida recievers high.

Thats now changed to dont draft Florida passrushers.

Jarvis Moss and Derrick Harvey have been busts to this point.

But louis murphy and harvin have shown meyers system can produce nfl recievers.

I agree 100%. If Dunlap runs a 4.6 and shows a little wiggle at the combine, he replaces (and I hate to say this) Mt.Cody as THE number 1 player on my Pats type players draft board. Mainly because he fills a huge existing HOLE at OLB.

Guys like Dunlap are why we need Pepper as our DC. Pepper won't let this guy slack off. Pepper will motivate him to play beyond his God given talent. Accountability to and from your fellow players and accountability to and from the coaching staff; it is a beautiful thing in a locker room.

Last edited:

YouTube - Carlos Dunlap vs. Tennessee

YouTube - Carlos Dunlap vs. Florida State

In the Florida State video he is held a few times and still makes plays. On a run outside, I think the LT for FSU holds Dunlap's left arm but Dunlap reaches out with his right and tackles the RB with one arm. It was very impressive.

I can watch him play ball, but I don't know him personally. I'll leave the character judgements up to those he who do.

I agree 100%. If Dunlap runs a 4.6 and shows a little wiggle at the combine, he replaces (and I hate to say this) Mt.Cody as THE number 1 player on my Pats type players draft board. Mainly because he fills a huge existing HOLE at OLB.

Guys like Dunlap are why we need Pepper as our DC. Pepper won't let this guy slack off. Pepper will motivate him to play beyond his God given talent. Accountability to and from your fellow players and accountability to and from the coaching staff; it is a beautiful thing in a locker room.

I'm not sure how true the "slacking off" label is. Dunlap is one of those guys who is so big with such a long stride length that he doesn't seem to be running hard, but he's always near the ball. He seems to move in slow motion, but gains ground on the other players because he's a long strider. I've been very impressed in the film and live action I've seen of him how he doesn't give up on plays and continues in pursuit. I would be curious to get Urban Meyer's view on his work habits.

Right now Cody has some work to do to get back to the 1st round. He may end up their because 3-4 NTs are prized, but unless he shows more conditioning than he did in Mobile he's a 2nd rounder as far as I'm concerned.

What about a draft like this:

- Trade 42, 47, and 118 to Atlanta for 19 and 83
- Trade Adalius Thomas and a conditional 2011 pick to KC for #68 (I know, it's probably wishful thinking, but assume it for now)

19. CJ Spiller, RB, Clemson
22. Carlos Dunlap, DE, Florida
53. Terrance Cody, DT, Alabama
68. Best available OL prospect
83. Austen Lane, DE/OLB, Murray St.

Add in a late round TE (Colin Peek or Jim Dray) and a developmental WR. If we could add a FA WR and possibly also sign Karlos Dansby then we'd be in great shape. Move Wilfork to DE, or play a "big" 4-3 with Wilfork and Cody in the middle and Dunlap and Lane on the outside. Even without Dansby, Cody in the middle would make Mayo and whoever is next to him more effective.

I'm not sure how true the "slacking off" label is. Dunlap is one of those guys who is so big with such a long stride length that he doesn't seem to be running hard, but he's always near the ball. He seems to move in slow motion, but gains ground on the other players because he's a long strider. I've been very impressed in the film and live action I've seen of him how he doesn't give up on plays and continues in pursuit. I would be curious to get Urban Meyer's view on his work habits.

Right now Cody has some work to do to get back to the 1st round. He may end up their because 3-4 NTs are prized, but unless he shows more conditioning than he did in Mobile he's a 2nd rounder as far as I'm concerned.

- Trade Adalius Thomas and a conditional 2011 pick to KC for #68 (I know, it's probably wishful thinking, but assume it for now)

Add in a late round TE (Colin Peek or Jim Dray) and a developmental WR. If we could add a FA WR and possibly also sign Karlos Dansby then we'd be in great shape. Move Wilfork to DE, or play a "big" 4-3 with Wilfork and Cody in the middle and Dunlap and Lane on the outside. Even without Dansby, Cody in the middle would make Mayo and whoever is next to him more effective.

CJ Spiller - from EPSN Scouts Inc:

"Held out of most of 2009 spring practices so he could focus on track."

This does not sound like a BB-type prospect. Doubt he's the #1 RB on their board. I would think that Ryan Mathews would be the perfect pick at 42. Alas, I don't think he'll be available at 42.

Dunlap doesn't seem like anything special in those videos. Kind of sluggish, sometimes there's a RB within his grasp and he doesn't even make an effort to tackle him. Kind of jogs a lot and yes, I know he's a long strider.

Frequently blocked by one guy.

Why is this guy a top 10 pick again?

As for Ryan Matthews, one scout I read said that he has no leg drive and gets knocked off his pins really easy. You never know where these guys end up drafted.

And ironically Richard Seymour came to the Patriots when he was knocked all over the place for taking plays off and not playing hard.

Now, Richard was a huge force for the Patriots, but you can also see why there was some of that criticism.

For a player who is always around the ball, Carlos Dunlap is remarkably unproductive when it comes to tackles and sacks.

Must be bad luck. Or something.

I like it a lot and would love to see it.

I watched Lane very closely and he really is raw. However this kid is the perfect developmental OLB prospect. I know BB will hack his game to pieces when he watches the film. But he appears closer than I originally thought and I think that with a year of work on technique and strength,he could be a legitimate starter in the base defense sometime in year 2, depending on how he runs. He reminds me of the kid from Cincy last year in that he does not have shoulder dip and he sometimes takes on blocks with the wrong shoulder, But depending on how he runs, he could be a solid player in all three phases of defense.

Plus a year on ST will only increase his value.

On Peek or Dray, whoever runs faster should get drafted. I really liked watching Dray on tape seal the second level for Gerhart, that showed me courage and heart.

I really liked watching Dray on tape seal the second level for Gerhart, that showed me courage and heart.

Is that tape that's available for others to see?

CJ Spiller - from EPSN Scouts Inc:

"Held out of most of 2009 spring practices so he could focus on track."

This does not sound like a BB-type prospect. Doubt he's the #1 RB on their board. I would think that Ryan Mathews would be the perfect pick at 42. Alas, I don't think he'll be available at 42.

Pleae reconsider Matthews. Biggest concern on scouts list...."bad vision" to get to the right hole or lane. This is Maroneys' major problem. I don't listen to the other garbage that the Maroney "Binkyites" type away here. LM has skills and he has speed. I have seen him run over people when he wants but not that much. He dances because he is hesitant to hit the hole. He is hesitant because HE HAS NO NFL RB VISION. Now he fumbles which is a lack of concentration...No thanks to all you pro-Maroneys. We need a back but Matthews is LM.

Maroney needs to reinvent himself in perhaps Washington, Seattle, Green Bay, Tampa Bay.
IMO a Trade is best for both parties.
I do not trust him and his health has always been an issue. He was not worth a number one. BB is between the tackles run game. Dillon and Antoine Smith come to mind. Even Faulks yard were up the middle be is mostly draws off the spread.
Let's pick another.

A end of second rounder type RB if you can't get Spiller.

I do not know enough about Dunlop where he has ever blown me away with his skills. Corey Wooten seems more versatile yet not a nibble on him here????? I like Carrington and Lane so I agree with the Mayo on those two.

It is imperative we get some FA help (Dansby, Kampman, Bulloch even Jason Taylor for third downs). I like LenDale White better than any orther back in the Draft other than Spiller and Gerhert (VERSATILE!!!). Two years ago he ran for 1,100 yards and he can catch with 28 receptions that year. He is 6'1" and 235. He is a RFA. We know how he performs in the NFL and not a rookie "guess". Why not?

Here is another RFA. Leon Washington anybody?

All these kids combined will just be a minor jump. We need to take a big swing at 2010 to get better.
DW Toys

Last edited:

Not seeming to run full speed, but always being at the right spot at the right time...sounds a lot like my boy Willie to me.

As I stated in another thread Mayo, the way he moves reminds me of Willie. Here's the problem, he'll probably get drafted in the teens. No?

For a player who is always around the ball, Carlos Dunlap is remarkably unproductive when it comes to tackles and sacks.

Must be bad luck. Or something.

How many sacks a year did Willie get? Believe me the stats can be very misleading.

Dont be fool by the video.I think he will be successful cause of his size.

Not seeming to run full speed, but always being at the right spot at the right time...sounds a lot like my boy Willie to me.

As I stated in another thread Mayo, the way he moves reminds me of Willie. Here's the problem, he'll probably get drafted in the teens. No?

Possibly, but not definitely.

Right now, the only team that I can see taking Dunlap in the top 10 is Oakland, if Al Davis falls in love with his measurables. I think that is unlikely, but you never know with Crazy Al.

Jacksonville at 11 needs a DE. I think Derrick Morgan fits them best, but I expect him to be gone. I see Everson Griffen and Jason Pierre-Paul also being options.

Tennessee and 17, Atlanta at 19 and Houston at 20 could also go that route. That's certainly within tradeup range. We'll have to see between now and the draft how Dunlap works out and where his stock seems to be going.

The fact is, he's a top 5 talent who will likely go 15-25 because of some concerns about consistency and an isolated DUI. To have a shot at that type of talent at 22 would be an unusual opportunity. And BB has publicly said more than once that he would find it hard to turn down a big DE with that kind of size, speed and ability to play both the run and the pass. He thinks those are rare guys who should always get serious consideration.

Add in a late round TE (Colin Peek or Jim Dray) and a developmental WR. If we could add a FA WR and possibly also sign Karlos Dansby then we'd be in great shape.

:rocker:

Just to say that I'd think I'd died and gone to heaven (but what do I know?)

I'm in love with Spiller and all the rest meet real needs. Even if Cody is a two-down player, it would be nice to have him coming off the field with the offense on 3rd and 8.

Well, goodbye to you, Ron Brace ... we hardly knew you.

I didn't see him dogging it when he was fighting inside and at least he wasn't getting blown off the line but a few times when he could have made a tackle he did not run through the ball, but instead he just lt up and watched the RB get a few more yards.

Not good. I am really questioning this kid's value for the Patriots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST