PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can we now stop with: "being 6 million under the cap is wonderful"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
FWIW - I think that Reiss was wrong in his report:

"Quote:
As for the salary cap, I had the Patriots with about $6.4 million worth of space last week. That’s close to the league average.
6.4 million times 32 = 204.8 million in cap space for the league.

John Czarnecki reported in late October that there was "Heading into this week, there was $149.4 million of salary-cap room
league-wide". I doubt that teams have been creating cap space since then.

I don't think I can add much to this thread, but I'm thinking that a little cap room will be nice next year. Considering Samuel will need to be signed, and we'll probably have 2 first round picks to sign as well.

"League average" includes the purging teams (Tenn) and chronic underspenders (AZ).

You do realize that's what an average is?

For the record, I don't think they're average, they're probably in the top 25% regarding cap space.

And they're 9-3 and have had a winning record and been competitive every year since 2001.

(Yes, I'm prepared to defend the meaning of competitive as well as the meaning of an "average").

Last edited:
I'm not disagreeing with you that we kept some cap money in store to resign players like Branch... as well as Graham, Koppen, and Samuel, too. So far, we've got one inked to a new deal.

The reason, however, why it is NOT academic that we're at around league average for cap space left is that some people are acting like the Pats are the only team under the cap, and that somehow, because we didn't go crazy in the post-CBA bull market in free agency, our FO was lax in restocking the team with talent.

It's a made-up issue. There's really very little basis for it, and the only people who are talking about it are the panicmongerers in the local sports media, and the chicken littles who believe them.

People are always looking for someone to blame whenever the team has some problems. We've lost Mel Mitchell, Tebucky Jones, Randall Gay, Rodney Harrison and Eugene Wilson for significant time at safety, and have had Samuel, Hobbs and Chad Scott all in and out w/ injury -- and the fact that we're having depth injuries from this injury plague (on players from ages 22 as well as 34, mind you) is the fault of the FO for not spending enough?

We had Monty Beisel wash out, Barry Gardener break a leg and Seau break an arm -- and again, the problem is because we didn't spend that $6 million dollars?

The same guys who were available when we picked up Seau are available now -- Huff, Claiborne, Sharper -- and we still don't want them.

So whom should we have spend money on? Julian Peterson and Lavar Arrington? They are both overrated and were way overpaid. Witherspoon and Thornton are too small to fit our system -- and were also overpaid.

There wasn't weren't many talented players available, and the ones that were were landing insane contracts because of the CBA-induced boom-time spending.

Its the Pats' restraint in not going after expensive, overrated guys like Peterson that will eventually result in our being able to hang onto guys like Ty Warren.

Excellent post. And may I add Asante Samuel?, (crosses fingers):D

As much as I'm an unabashed Asante fan, if he demands top dollar based on a hot 1/2 season, I'll wave good bye.

And hello to the new 2-3 DBs and linebackers, (please), we pick up in the draft/FA next year.

It's all about options. I've been called cheap before, (in Portuguese, no less), but I think I'm frugal.

I never use the word overpay unless it's preceded by a won't or don't.:D

That's my point. You don't turn into Bobby Grier by overpaying players a little bit. What is it, like smoking, or drug addiction, or eating potato chips? You can't stop once you try a little? Come on.

I trust this group enough to not pull a Lane and Rucci. Besides, Lane/Rucci didn't kill us. They were a couple mil a year - five year deals. What killed us in the late 90's was draft mismanagement, not FA signings.

Umm, MDD, Draft management was part of it and bad cap management was the other. Its why Belichick had to sign 25 low end vets in 2000. And its why they had to sign more low end vets in 2001. The Pats had HUGE cap issues becauses of Grier and Andy W.

And, yes, once you start over-paying some player more, others will expect to be treated the same way. The key to the Pats run has been having a deep, well paid middle class to step up in a pinch.

BTW, you still haven't provided the link that said the Pats were 750K different. You also don't know if the money would have made any difference. Honestly, if Law was smart, he would have known that his chances of winning it all is better with the Patriots. And that would have been even more money in his pocket.

You know, a couple posters on this thread claim I know nothing about the game because I say this team didn't play well yesterday. If you are such experts then maybe they should fire the AP writers, and every columnist and beat writer at the Herald and Globe, and hire you to take their place, since I guess those 8-9 guys are all know-nothings too.

Fire Borges? Fire Cafardo?

That would be a bad thing?

Woo yeah! Six million buckos! All right! Yeah!

Yeah!

The Pat's went Marquise Hill, Gus Scott, Dexter Reid, in rounds 2,3,4 in 2004 and none of those guys amounted to anything and the holes from those missteps are hurting us right now. Three fairly high defensive players who all whiffed. Plus Klecko and Clairidge couldn't play LB like they hoped but picks that low are really crap shoots. It's the 2004 draft that is hurting us now more than the failure to sign big dollar FA's.
I'll go one step further with regard to the 2004-2005 NFL drafts:

2004 NFL Draft
2nd Round - Marquise Hill
3rd Round - Guss Scott
4th Round - Dexter Reid
4th Round - Cedric Cobbs
5th Round - P.K. Sam
7th Round - Christian Morton

2005 NFL Draft
3rd Round - Traded for Duane Starks
5th Round - Ryan Claridge
7th Round - Andy Stokes

Aside from Marquise Hill, none of these draft picks are currently on the New England Patriots roster.

Last edited:
I get a vicarious thrill from following a team with a winning record and a lot of cap room. I guess it's a matter of taste.

Sure, I'd like it if the team won another superbowl, but being frugal is its own reward, imho.

I get a vicarious thrill from following a team with a winning record and a lot of cap room. I guess it's a matter of taste.

Sure, I'd like it if the team won another superbowl, but being frugal is its own reward, imho.

Well then go in the mens' room and rub one out. Yippee!

I'd have more of a thrill if the team were to take advantage of the fact that we have one of the best QB's in history with 3-4 more years left in his prime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes