PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Calvin 'OMG' Johnson -- 329 yards receiving!!!

moss was much faster and was a better vertical threat. but megatron does little things better

Johnson better than Moss? Please...

Call me when Johnson gets another 500 receptions, 8000 yards and about 100 TDs.

The freak was easily more gifted and far more of a threat + CJ gets targeted like 30 times a game and Moss spent most of his prime with some pretty mediocre QBs

I have to disagree. I'll try say this carefully. Moss was an absolute freak and I always felt that if he had his complete head and focus into football, he would have smashed every receiving record ever created. However, the guy was a deep threat and a deep threat alone. Calvin can run the whole route tree AND he can even play in the slot, which makes him more versatile than Moss, and that makes him better in that respect. He commands the same double and triple coverage that Moss did. I'll take a receiver who can run all the routes and even go over the middle consistently. Moss just wasn't that type of receiver, no matter what you have to say about it.

I believe that if Calvin doesn't go on to produce the numbers you listed, it will be because of injury. He's extremely physical and that, I believe, will make him more susceptible to injury and missed games. That will likely impact his stats a bit should it play out like that. For crying out loud, the guy almost had 2,000 yards receiving last season (had 300+ today). Moss never did that. The closest he came was a little over 1600 yards in 2003. They both command the same same double/triple coverage, so that's a wash.

I love Randy Moss. I loved him before he came here, during his stint, and even after he left. I don't see how it was or is so easy for you or anyone to dismiss Megatron so easily. You say it as if the discussion is just utterly ludicrous and I don't believe it should be considered ludicrous at all. He may even eclipse Moss when it's all said and done. As far as the QB comparisons, there is just no way to quantify anything with that. Who knows what Moss would have done had he played with Brady once he entered the league? No idea.

No disrespect intended to you or anyone else, though. It's just one layman's opinion.

moss was much faster and was a better vertical threat. but megatron does little things better

You're absolutely right. The biggest thing that Calvin does better than Randy, and one could argue it's the most important thing, is he runs every route on the route tree. He's not predominantly a vertical threat like Randy was. He can run all the routes and even play in the slot. That counts for a lot, IMHO.

However, we're splitting hairs a bit. They're both freaks and they'll both end up in the HOF. I'd take either one of them on my team.

stafford doesnt get enough credit in making some great throws.

Johnson is the best WR the game's seen since Randy Moss. Moss could do things that no receiver has ever been able to do in the modern era, and that includes Johnson.

Johnson's got the edge when it comes to heart, power and willingness to take contact, but Moss had a gear that nobody else has had, and he could make a play on a jump ball that would make an NBA center proud.

When it comes to WR, there's Rice and Moss, and then the rest fall in behind.

Just my $.02

An just like Moss and Fitz wasted on a horrible team where he will never win a championship unless he gets to a contender.

Fantasy geeks, fanboys, stat nerds, and Sportscenter devotees rejoice...stats are for losers

Johnson is the best WR the game's seen since Randy Moss. Moss could do things that no receiver has ever been able to do in the modern era, and that includes Johnson.

Johnson's got the edge when it comes to heart, power and willingness to take contact, but Moss had a gear that nobody else has had, and he could make a play on a jump ball that would make an NBA center proud.

When it comes to WR, there's Rice and Moss, and then the rest fall in behind.

Just my $.02

Yup! The Minnesota years, he had quickness & speed. He took hitches & ran away from entire defenses. Just effortless speed. As said earlier. The Patriot years including 2007 was not prime Moss. Not really even close.

Hard to argue with what Deus said. Watch some Randy highlights on youtube back in his Minnesota days. Megatron is amazing but Randy's peak was more dominant than what we're seeing from Calvin right now, especially when you take rule changes into account.

They were discussing him on one of the pregame shows Sunday last, and they claimed he had an 8'8" reach with a 45" vertical... that is about 13 ft. high, coupled with an incredible catching radius makes him a WR freak...

But of course this was against "America's Team"....

They were discussing him on one of the pregame shows Sunday last, and they claimed he had an 8'8" reach with a 45" vertical... that is about 13 ft. high, coupled with an incredible catching radius makes him a WR freak...

But of course this was against "America's Team"....

Which is ranked dead last this year in Defense :D

Aaron dobson is (will be) better than both of them...

:D

on a side note. Dallas' D is abysmal. firing rob Ryan was a stupid move.

Posted from Patsfans.com App for Android

Their defense sucks, but they were double and triple covering him and he was still torching them. The guy was playing like a man possessed. I would probably have a heart attack if I found out he was coming to New England.

Before I start, no receiver in the game today can come close to comparing with Johnson.

That having been said, you should re-watch the game. If Dez had been thrown to a bit more, Dallas would have won the game easily. Bryant was having a great day, when the ball was thrown to him. And yes, it would be interesting to know what the final score would have been if he were targeted 14 times.

This is just part of the dysfunctional team that is Dallas. The difference between the Revis situation and that of Dez Bryant is that Dez can't keep his displeasure out of the public eye.

Make no mistake, Dez Bryant is right in his complaints. His team did NOT go to him in critiical situations. On one that I recall, he was on the bench.

He was so good that he had Dez Bryant ready to fight all his teammates on the sideline. He wanted to match Johnson catch-for-catch. What a selfish d*mn player. I'm so glad we didn't draft him like so many fans wanted, and I'm saying that despite our offensive struggles at the WR position.

Before I start, no receiver in the game today can come close to comparing with Johnson.

That having been said, you should re-watch the game. If Dez had been thrown to a bit more, Dallas would have won the game easily. Bryant was having a great day, when the ball was thrown to him. And yes, it would be interesting to know what the final score would have been if he were targeted 14 times.

This is just part of the dysfunctional team that is Dallas. The difference between the Revis situation and that of Dez Bryant is that Dez can't keep his displeasure out of the public eye.

Make no mistake, Dez Bryant is right in his complaints. His team did NOT go to him in critiical situations. On one that I recall, he was on the bench.
Did you see that they had it mic'd and know what Dez was actually saying? He wasn't tearing his team apart. He was being supportive and trying to motivate.

Listen here: Dez Bryant sideline sound - NFL Videos

EDIT: Yes, they don't show it with Witten but this does put a bit different spin on what was being said on Sunday.

The negative spin is primarily among posters. Almost all media that I saw supported Bryant, rather than having a negative view of his actions.

Did you see that they had it mic'd and know what Dez was actually saying? He wasn't tearing his team apart. He was being supportive and trying to motivate.

Listen here: Dez Bryant sideline sound - NFL Videos

EDIT: Yes, they don't show it with Witten but this does put a but different spin on what was being said on Sunday.

The negative spin is primarily among posters. Almost all media that I saw supported Bryant, rather than having a negative view of his actions.

Then I wish I was seeing your media because I'm hearing drastically different things (generally bad) in the media around my way.

stafford doesnt get enough credit in making some great throws.
Stafford is a JAG without Megatron. He throws up 20-80 balls that Megatron beats in triple coverage to make circus catches. Without Johnson, people wouldn't pay him the time of day. That is how good Megatron is. Now, that said, he did make some nice throws during the game.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back