PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bust watch: who is this year's JaMarcus Russell?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not so sure that I personally agree about Ryan Mallett as of yet. As another poster pointed out, 'that is just my personal opinion' for whatever that's worth :D

Arkansas ran a pro-style offense, and as of right now, there has not been any substantial proof of his 'drug use' or whatever issue has people scared. I agree that he may not be a great QB, but I think his raw skills, size, and yrs played give us a decent look at his potential. I don't think there's any question that he had a pretty good showing (not sure if it was the combine or pro day), and he certainly can wing the ball. Now his personal issues can certainly hold him back, if he doesn't grow up, or if indeed any of it is even true. Let's keep in mind the pot smoking and jail issues of Randy Moss though, so if we're choosing busts I am not going to put him at the very top of my list.

Now Cam Newton, OTOH, has only played one year, seems more immature and coc*y than anyone else, and I am not sold on his pro-style abilities. I've never been totally sold on Gabbart either.

Last edited:
jj watt = adam carriker
phil taylor = alan branch
aldon smith = jarvis moss

I liken Ryan Mallet to Jamarcus Russell and Cam Newton to Vince Young. Once Mallet gets paid, it is likely back to the nose candy and he has never been known for his work ethic or pocket presence. Cam has all the talent, but lacks the intelligence to run an NFL offense. The Auburn decision tree (Is option one open? No. RUN!) does not translate to the NFL.

Jake Locker will be the best QB out of this draft.

I liken Ryan Mallet to Jamarcus Russell and Cam Newton to Vince Young. Once Mallet gets paid, it is likely back to the nose candy and he has never been known for his work ethic or pocket presence. Cam has all the talent, but lacks the intelligence to run an NFL offense. The Auburn decision tree (Is option one open? No. RUN!) does not translate to the NFL.

Jake Locker will be the best QB out of this draft.

Christian Ponder is my pick....for the best QB out of this draft.

Biggest bust will probably be Newton if he goes top 5. Anytime a rookie has a marketing team in place before he's even drafted, I'd say his priorities are someplace besides football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft