PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Building your own Patriots’ roster depth chart position by position - Week 3 WR

Status
Not open for further replies.
PatsFanInVa said:
We only hope Bethel is immature, because that implies he'll eventually blossom, but it's starting to look like he just has a permanent work-ethic/"getting it" problem. At least one guy here takes the position I used for my "optimist" POV, that Bethel is ready to "break out." Trouble is there is never any indication that he has ever worked beyond the bare minimum, or that he will ever do so. Of course I am not privy to goings-on at the Razor - maybe he is an obsessive student of the game, rather than the serial sulker he appears to be via the lens of the media. If so, it's just sad that he still cannot run a route other than a long downfield pattern.

By the way, my own post on this thread sucks because I omitted Bam... Mea Culpa.

PFnV
I have a vague memory of Bethel being commended for his off-season work ethic, this despite the surgeries he went through. Pehaps someone else can check their memory banks to help me with that recollection.

Regarding Bethel's reported attitude problems, I'm not sure where they are cropping up; that both he and BB have indirectly confirmed there is a problem puts him on the bubble. Since my memory is that he does seem to work hard in the off-season program, the best guesstimate I have is he fails to make the correct defensive reads and has been unrepentant, insisting he was open, if not where Tommy's reads would have placed him.

I continue to believe he has great value as a KR and will compete for a roster slot on that basis. His ability to move up the depth chart seems hinged on his ability and willingness to run the short and intermediate routes while reading and adjusting properly to the defense. He hasn't proven he can make the transition from STs to #3 WR, which is why I left him off my line-up and penciled in other speedsters at KR. Frankly, Bethel is competing against Maroney and Jackson for KR more then he is any WR for a roster slot.

He has all the physical tools and I want him to succeed, but he needs to step up to the plate more in the Pre-season passing game to give me any hope he will crack the roster this year.

Box_O_Rocks said:
I have a vague memory of Bethel being commended for his off-season work ethic, this despite the surgeries he went through. Pehaps someone else can check their memory banks to help me with that recollection.
I remember the same thing. I thought he got one of the workout awards last year before he got injured. Sometimes we forget he's fought off a long history of injury problems.

Box_O_Rocks said:
Regarding Bethel's reported attitude problems, I'm not sure where they are cropping up; that both he and BB have indirectly confirmed there is a problem puts him on the bubble. Since my memory is that he does seem to work hard in the off-season program, the best guesstimate I have is he fails to make the correct defensive reads and has been unrepentant, insisting he was open, if not where Tommy's reads would have placed him.
He also had a bad habit of contradicting BB in the press during the season. And there was that sound bite of McGinest telling him to read his playbook. So I can see the attitude problems. I have no idea what the on-field technique problems are: reading defenses, quickness in and out of breaks, getting open, running hard on each route even if he's the fourth read on the play. Maybe more than one thing.

I do remember that as soon as he was ready in the pre-season, he made one long downfield play, got hurt, and got taken out. It seemed to me that BB had Bethel in front of Davis, for whom he'd just traded. Of course, Davis is gone and Bethel isn't, which came as a surprise to me. So many things I only see from the surface.
Box_O_Rocks said:
I continue to believe he has great value as a KR and will compete for a roster slot on that basis. Frankly, Bethel is competing against Maroney and Jackson for KR more then he is any WR for a roster slot.
Excellent point. And, for a change, he has to stay healthy.

I'd say "read your playbook" might reflect what I'm talking about. The work is inconsistent, or else the ability to absorb his job is inconsistent. I do not buy the contention that Bethel Johnson has been physically incapable of cutting or crisp routes since he recovered from the 2001 spleen injury.

The work ethic might be there sometimes, maybe even all the time. Then what does that tell us about the oft-battered physical and mental plant? If the "work ethic" issue is a red herring, what we're saying is he's just not very good, and is not likely to be. (I'm not at all convinced that's the case... I heard that about getting some "work ethic" award one or another offseason, but how can you be the team's hardest worker and not know the playbook?)

All I know is that the injury litany cannot carry him indefinitely, given the current thin WR situation. If he cannot cut it as a true wideout this year, having him around for ST only might not be enough for next year. This is his year to lead, follow, or get out of the way (as all parties have acknowledged.)

Here's to Bethel getting better, getting looks, and "getting it" - I'll be pleasantly surprised.

PFnV

PatsFanInVa said:
or else the ability to absorb his job is inconsistent.

PFnV
:singing: B I N G O was his namo :singing:

I believe the off-season awards relate to the consistent effort and participation you demonstrate in physical conditioning and position drills. With Bethel's problems surfacing during the season, it is just too likely he is relying on his afterburners and not reading the defense properly. I concur with the hope that this is his season.

That's the part that always feels sad to me, the feeling that he just cannot get it - Thus far, of course.

We can also say that maybe the pleasant surprise of David Givens left him in the dust while he recouped... that real life playing time would have made the routes "real" in a way that he couldn't get in practice... who knows, I'll grasp at those straws.

I mean, what if we get a guy with that speed that can actually run a route? What's not to root for?

Ah, yet more to look forward to in 2006!

PFnV

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft